3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anyone practice QCM?...  (Read 512 times)

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
Anyone practice QCM?...
« on: February 19, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
Quality Cottontail Management  ;)  

There are some bunnies on my property, and I know I can build brush piles for cover, but does anyone have any other tips for increasing my cottontail population?  Are there any food-plots rabbits prefer or preferred types of cover that I can add to my property?  Ideally I'd like to entice more rabbit activity near my deer hunting set-ups so I might have opportunities at an occasional rabbit while deer hunting.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anyone practice QCM?...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
Don't let them populate around your yard.  I did that and they crawled up around the motors of the vehicles and chewed the wiring.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 07:27:00 PM »
no cottontails on the mountain where I live, so no hunting them... Bummer.

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Predator hunting. That will increase the rabbit population.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 08:09:00 PM »
The clover plots and low browse deer like will feed rabbits too.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
Yeah, I manage rabbits. Manage to miss them. They like to stand still and taunt me. As soon as I release they shuck and jive just like a Solana Ranch whitetail.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 08:48:00 PM »
pseman has it.Hunting those fox and coyotes will help.House cats can be a problem on the young rabbits.Hawks and owls are protected.
Harold Wetzler

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
im sure killing predators will help...but i think it is much more important to provide habitat......create as much undergrowth as possible.... brush, briars,brambles, thickets, tall grass , and lots of it...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline akdd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 03:34:00 AM »
Try planting a garden that would make a fine food plot for them.

Offline Boomerang

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 07:21:00 AM »
Provide good cover and thin out the fox, yotes and cats.

Offline sharps4590

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
I managed for bunnies on our old farm for over 15 years.....had LOTS of them too!  Here's what I did....pretty much on my own, no advice from game agencies.

We also raised beef.  I had about 8 acres I kept in alfalfa or a grain crop, wheat or milo, on a rotation.  When the alfalfa was on its last legs I'd overseed with red clover and get a couple more years out of it before I needed to plow it under.  Next to that was 8 or so acres of cedars so thick you could barely walk thru them.  On the east side of the alfalfa field/cedar patch was a little wet weather creek.  I fenced the pasture side of that about 15 yards from the creek and let it grow up.  That area was probably 250-300 yards long next to the pasture and went that far into the woods.  On the alfalfa field side I let it grow up too.  On the west side was a fence row that had a fairly thick stand of sumac, sassafrass, blackberries and other such stuff.  It was probably 10 yards wide and a couple hundred feet long.  I just let it go as neither my neighbor nor I ran cattle against that fence.  Twice a year, spring and fall, the hired boy, (more like a third son), and I would spend a Saturday building brushpiles in the cedar thicket.  I also killed every stray cat that showed up on the place and took the coyotes whenever possible.  At that time in that area foxes were almost non-existant.

I had provided PLENTY of cover, water was no problem and with the neighbors crop field next to my alfalfa field food was never a problem. Rabbits, being as prolific as they are, soon populated that 20 or so acres.  

A bunny doesn't need a lot...a little food, water, (in fact, I've read that a bunny can survive merely off the moisture it gets from green plants), and a LOT of cover.  It doesn't take a coyote, fox or feral cat long to hunt a clean fence row and if the bunnies have no place to run and hide they don't stand much of a chance.  Raptors can't very well catch what they can't see or get to so overhead cover is equally important.

There was no scientific methods put to use on our old place, just plain ol' common sense.  And it appeared to work just fine!  Back when I was keeping records of such things we took an average of 30 bunnies a year off that 20 acres and never seemed to hurt the population.

Vic
There is no right way to do a wrong thing

Offline WildmanSC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 09:40:00 AM »
Plant some blackberry bushes and you'll provide ideal habitat for the bunnies and be able to reap some blackberries for some tasty blackberry cobblers as a side benefit! Mmmmmm good!     ;)    :)    :biglaugh:

Bill
TGMM Family of the Bow

-----------------------------------
Groves Flame Recurve 62", 45#@28"

Praise the Lord Jesus Christ, He is Worthy

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 11:56:00 AM »
one thing that we've done before is to create cover by covering old pallets with brush piles.  The nice part about doing this is that you can nail a handle of some sort to the pallet and you can shake the entire brush pile from one spot when your hunting.  As far as food.  They will eat any of the greens that deer eat.  They also like to chew the bark off of autumn olives and and dogwood.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
The biggest thing you can do is provide them with lots of THICK cover.  A couple of the ideas mentioned above are right on.  Of course if you add alot of thick cover your gonna have to deal with a deer influx also!!  If you need help with that problem, ya got something wrong!

Offline Hawken1911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
Thank you very much for the tips guys.

Paul
ST. HUBERT'S RANGERS, Brotherhood of the Medieval Hunt.
MICHIGAN LONGBOW ASSOCIATION
Scott Spears Osage English longbow,50#@28"

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 08:58:00 PM »
Paul, there is a fella here in Michigan that frequents this site by the name of  "the Great Jashu". He is a wealth of knowledge on creating habitat for all kinds of animals. I'll be seeing him tomorrow and I'll have him jump in here and give you a hand!  :campfire:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline grizz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Have you tried carrots? uhhh, what's up Doc?
mike

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Like pseman stated, predator management.  My folks farm used to have tons of rabbits when I was a kid, but we rarely see one now.  Too many coyotes, bobcats, etc..
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©