3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Grains of arrow / feet per second  (Read 440 times)

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
Grains of arrow / feet per second
« on: February 19, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »
Just an idle curiosity.

Is there a generally accepted grain weight to feet per second correlation?

Example:

If I increased my arrow weight 25 grains, how many fps would I loose?  Or say, if I removed 25 grains how many fps would I gain?

Lets figure a bow around 50lbs @ 28", I realize a bows weight and draw length gives variables.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Grains of arrow / feet per second
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:15:00 PM »
I don't think you could set a standard in fps.A lot would depend on how efficient the bow is.I don't think you could tell much difference with 25 grns on most bows.I would assume the margin of error on draw length and release would be nearly as great as the 25 grn difference.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Agree with R H Clark.  Don't think 25 grains makes a big enough difference to worry about.  I also am pretty sure that you won't get a set change in fps for a given change in weight.  KE equals 1/2 mass times the velocity squared.  You can see it isn't a linear arrangement.  Increasing in weight should increase the efficiency of energy transfer, but i don't think you will get a good "thumbrule" to use.  I'm sure some of the physics experts will be along shortly.

Offline PV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
When I was playing with wheels 5 grains equaled 1 fps.Don't know if this correlates to trad bows.

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 07:27:00 AM »
imho 25 grains will make a fairly big difference in fps. for my setup its about 6 fps.that being said i am primarily a target shooter and every bit of speed is important to me.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
Just curious CJC. Why is "every bit of speed" important to a target shooter? I would think that if you know your bow are constant with your form and know the tradgetory of your arrow it wouldn't matter what speed the arrow is. It has to cover the same distance no matter if it is fast or a little slower...just wondering.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »
Snag,

It's just a matter of less margin for error because of flatter trajectory. With no concern of K.E. on a target as long as you are tuned and have a correct F.O.C. , the faster the better. I shoot 7.5gpp for target and 10gpp to 11gpp for hunting. I agree with PV and CJC, about 1 fps per 5 or 6 gr.
Zwickeyman

Offline Larry247

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
25grns wouldn't make that much differance.

I could mix them in with some guys set ups and they'd never know the differance.
A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Adding 25gns to a 300gn arrow is a lot different than adding 25grs to a 600gn or heavier arrow.With the heavy arrow it might not be noticed if in the middle of the spine range at all.With the 300gn you might would need to retune.It is all about percentages so there is no one answer that fits.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Michl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
My 50#/27" widow speed increased 5fps when I changed from 450 to 425.
Border CH 64" 42@28
Black Widow PSAV 58" 50@27
Rainy Day RC 62" 40@28

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
James is correct.  I saw no difference in either tuning or arrow speed whatsoever going from 700 to 725 with a 54# ELB.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
i lost 20 fps going from 600 to 820, the change in fps decelerates the more wieght you get. for my setup.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©