3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hill Style Bows  (Read 1617 times)

Offline ToxophilitePastor

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hill Style Bows
« on: February 19, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
I am thinking about getting a Hill style bow. What bows would you recommend?
He (Jesus Christ) is before all things, and in Him all things hold together (Col. 1:17).

Moab - 64", 55@27"
Hill Cheetah - 66", 58@28"

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
Re: Hill Style Bows
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
Howard Hill of course!!    :thumbsup:

By the way, I've got 4 and love them above all my bows.
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline pointystick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:40:00 PM »
I know you'll get some other suggestions, but I agree with the statement above.  I love my Hills (the ones in my avatar: a Wesley Special and a Bobcat) and Craig Ekin is an awesome guy to deal with.  If you like the Hill style, why not go with the original.   :cool:

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
Yea, I'm with ya'll 100%.  If you get another HH type, and there are some real nice ones out there, you'll probably still be longing for a Hill.

I just got my first new-to-me today from tadpole, so I am a newly converted, but already thinking about what my second one will be and whether I will do for a dished grip instead of straight??
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
I own a David Miller, Sunset Hill, and a Liberty English. I have never had the pleasure of shooting a Howard Hill, but have heard nothing but good reports.

My boys now claim ownership of all my longbows so I started shooting a Predator Recurve.

You are going to have fun trying out the different Hill style longbows - I know I did!!

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 10:23:00 PM »

HH Half Breed
69" Long
45# @ 29"
Bubinga Riser
2 Lams bamboo
2 Lams yew
Ebony wood limb tips
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline cedar swampman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
Steve Turay of Northern Mist Longbows makes a fine HH style straight limbed bow the Classic.

Offline cedar swampman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »
Northern Mist Classic-

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2009, 10:38:00 PM »
I own several from different bowyers, and there is not a bad one in the bunch! All of the above mentioned bowyers build an excellent bow, and you can't go wrong with any of them! I now have two Sunset Hill's on order, and those along with David Miller's split bamboo are the pinnacle of Hill bows IMHO. But, for a starter bow my best recommendation would be a Howard Hill Tembo! A great bow at a great price from a great guy, and his delivery time is short right now! Second pic would be a Classic or Shelton from Northern Mist. They shoot a little better for me, and both are first class bows, but the last time I talked to Steve his deliveries were running about 6 months. He might have one in stock however since he built several bows for Kzoo, just give him a call. Follow your selected bowyers recommendations for length, have them size the grip to your hand, don't overbow yourself, and learn the proper way to grip the bow. If you do all this you'll enjoy shooting these bows more than any you've ever owned!

Good luck....Ken   :archer:
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline pointystick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by buckster:
whether I will do for a dished grip instead of straight??
I'm sold on the dished grip. Both my Hills have them. It's especially welcome on the Wesley, as the grip is pretty large and the dishing makes it a bit easier for me to get ahold of. I could have gone with a straight on the Bobcat (size wise), but I find the dish acts as a sort of natural hand locator without the look of a true locator style handle (which I don't like the looks of on a Hill).   :cool:

Offline pktm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »
I have two Howard Hill's. One is the Halfbreed, super sweet bow, and the other is the Wesley Special, a real thumper. You will not be disappointed with the Hill's. It's amazing how light they are in weight and how smooth they shoot. I love how quiet they are, and how well they cast an arrow. Bottom line, they are an awesome hunting bow.
Fundamentally the marksman aims at himself

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
Lighting LOngbows by Gordy Morey makes a great Hill Style longbow.He makes a new sleeve 2pc. that really is going to be a big hit. His number is 702-278-8396...tell him Mark sent ya , good luck Marco
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
My favorite Hill style bows are Howard Hill and Northern Mist.  I also own a no-longer made Talon longbow that is still my go-to bow.  I have been eyeing the Sunset Hill bows too and would love to see one "in person".  Being a lefty shooter it is hard to find bows to try out, right Buckster?......Dave
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
There is a lefty in the classifieds right now for a good price.
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
Several makers make superb Hill style bows, but if you don't get a Howard Hill, you'll always wonder, won't you?
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 11:18:00 AM »
Does anyone have experience with the Blackhawk Longbow by Jack Smith in IL? They are supposed to be a Hill style bow with a dished grip.
He (Jesus Christ) is before all things, and in Him all things hold together (Col. 1:17).

Moab - 64", 55@27"

Offline frank bullitt

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 11:52:00 AM »
Hill's are great and fun to shoot! It must be, they're probably the most copied design of longbow over many years.Pastor, some of the used and maybe new bows to look for like Tim Meigs, Fred Anderson, Dave Johnson of Oklahoma that was one of my favorites! Kramer's, Shulz and probably many more that I can't remember. One thing I do know about Hill style bows your'e either a natural or you  have worked hard and dedicated to shooting them. I love them!

Offline Romans3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
hey old man, come up here to NC and shoot my big five. Your grandaughter can't wait to see you again!
"conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ" Phil. 2:27

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
Don't you mean, "out-shoot you with your big five?  :)

Moab - 64", 55@27"

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
You're right Dave!

Hey what length do ya'll recommend for a 27" draw? The one I just traded for is 68", wondering how the shorter ones perform?
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©