3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Tillering Gizmo(pic)  (Read 5603 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Tillering Gizmo(pic)
« on: May 28, 2006, 11:35:00 AM »
Well, I was playing around in the shop, tillering bows and thinking about a better way to decide where I needed to scrape and made the gadget below.  

I took a 6" long piece of 1" square scrap wood, drilled a 5/16" hole in the middle for a pencil and a 1/2"  hole just deep enough over one side of the 5/16" hole to tap a 5/16" nut into.

Screw a stubby point pencil into the nut and you are ready to check tiller

I run the block up the limb to get an idea where the limb is bending the most then set the stubby pencil tip almost where it is touching the limb and run the gadget up the limb making sure it is centered. Several passes up and down the limb  mark the the stiff areas perfectly. The gizmo shown below is an earlier version from the one pictured above with the nut tapped into the hole. Tapping the nut into block was Daniel Willoughby's idea.

The end result are nice lines just where you need to scrape. The lines tend to get darker in areas that need a few extra scrapes. I only make round belly bows but have found the tool works equally well on flat belly bows.

Offline kcdaniels

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Another Tillering Gizmo(pic)
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2006, 11:59:00 AM »
I do not recall seeing this one before, simple but very good ideal  :thumbsup:  

Thanks for the post.

Dan

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2006, 12:27:00 PM »
thanks Eric, that will work.  You should patent it...someone will for sure...  :)
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline rocdoc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2006, 12:55:00 PM »
Duuhhhhh.....why didn't I Think of that?!!

I've used just a block of wood and eye-balled the 'flat' spots using that......but this will really help!     :thumbsup:

Thanks for enlightening some of us SLOW thinkers!
"The crappy stuff makes you a better bowyer, but the good stuff makes better bows"....Ferret

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2006, 12:59:00 PM »
Lately I have been making these gizmos with a brass nut and sanding the wood down into the nut to make a pretty spiffy looking tool. I have been making these to sell at the big trad tournaments. Here is a pile of the latest style in the unfinished state. UPDATE, the idea of grinding the nut flat is a bad one, not enough threads left to hold the pencil securely

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »
Jim dandy idea there Mr Krewson   :thumbsup:
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline Abram

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 11:06:00 PM »
Excellent idea Eric !!!!

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2006, 09:06:00 AM »
Cool Eric! I had been scraping my bows wherever the screw was scratching the limb but this will give a better visual. We'll see a few of these at MOJam, I'm sure.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2006, 09:17:00 AM »
Eric couldn't you use a tap to thread the hole in the wood (might use osage instead of pine) and then put threads on the pencil? You could use a nut to lock it in place.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 05:21:00 PM »
I tillered two bows with this gadget this past weekend. It brought tillering precision to a new level.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2006, 12:46:00 AM »
I used a sheetrock screw in my board, with the point just coming out the side that slides on the belly...

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2006, 06:15:00 AM »
Dang Eric, You got a good idea there! Thanks.

Tedd

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2006, 06:18:00 AM »
What would having a longer and a shorter one do? (trying to figure out what the optimum lenght for the block of wood is)

Tedd

Offline pappy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2006, 08:12:00 AM »
I generaly only make flat belly bows so I will give it a try and let you know how it works on them.I use a 3 in. flat edege now to see where the flat spots or over bending spots are but I will try 6 in. and see how it works.Always like to try something new.Thanks.  
   Pappy
TwinOaks founding member
Selfbows rule
Home of the Tennessee Classic

Offline Tom Leemans

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2006, 08:18:00 AM »
I believe Dean mentioned 7" in his video but 6" will work too. I've watched guys use the edge of a credit card or a scraper.
Got wood? - Tom

Offline clintopher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »
Do you use that at brace, on a tillering stick, a tree, or all three?  Great idea.

Clint

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2006, 08:52:00 AM »
All three.

Offline John Cooper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2007, 06:38:00 PM »
I use a long one before I get to brace height and a shorter one for after that.  The shorter one tattles on me more. :-)  Wonderful tool.  I tend to zig-zag it across the limb instead of making a single line.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2007, 10:27:00 AM »
I have found some reluctance among experienced bow makers to use this tool but feel it is one of the best bowmaking tools to come along in a long time. By using a gizmo a first time bowmaker can achieve success on the first try without all the normal pitfalls of hinges, drastically missing poundage and whip tillered bows.

Offline SteveD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2007, 11:06:00 AM »
Eric, I use this tool on the last bow i made and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the great idea. Steve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©