3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Silvertips?  (Read 47625 times)

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Silvertips?
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
Hey Steve; What a coincidence ! i've never met james , however he seems like a very nice person and was extremely accomodating with me , i'm very particular, about my bow strings.
     If  you don't mind , please pm. me you phone # and address, as i'm now retired and coming down to Michigan very shortly to see some old friends. I could fire a warning shot and maybe meet for lunch or coffee.

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2007, 09:44:00 AM »
All this interest now, I hope it doesn't extend the waiting time for a new Silvertip!  I'm trying to get the ordering time right so that I get mine for my 50th birthday.  It's a apresent to myself.

It's great to hear about everybody and their Silvertips.  I hope it gets Dave more business.
But not too much to make the wait any longer!!!

Now I have to decide which features to order.  Still stuck on the camo limbs!  Probably checkering too.  Not sure about fastflight.  Decisions, decisions.......

Lee

Offline mtnbike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2007, 10:39:00 AM »
Lee, I would order with the FF option. That way you can shot either string type and then decide which you favor.
opportunityisnowhere....
56" Big Jims TC  [email protected]!
56" Big Jims Thunderchild 55@28
60" Orig Schafer/Windauer 56@28
60" Silvertip 64@28
58" Homepro/Schafer limbs 60@28
62" Bears' Paw Longbow 63@28"

Offline BigMedicine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
My Silvertip should be done sometime in the next month or so.  Bloodwood riser with zebrawood stripe and tulipwood veneers with antler knobs and tips.  I'm just finishing my arrow building bench and hope to have a dozen CX Heritage shafts all painted up and ready to go by the time the bow arrives.
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."  from Walden- Henry David Thoreau

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2007, 01:40:00 PM »
hey sergio can you explain to me what you like in strings. you mentioned # of strands and length of loop.what is the reasons? thanks keith

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2007, 03:03:00 PM »
Hi keith; i do not like a string with too many twists, I like about one twist per inch, any more and I feel that the string acts like a spring is noisier , slows the bow, is less consistant.Just look at the FITA shooters they use endless loop strings. Jack harrison Studied this a lot and supplied endless loop strings with his Bows! I like larger loops than most strings have so they sit in the ' V " part of the Silvertip limb string groove better. james has my measurements for all this.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2007, 12:24:00 AM »
Lee,

When I was out at the shop, Dave had some Treebark camo limbs   :D

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2007, 08:44:00 AM »
Steve O.

Thanks!  Trebark was my all time favorite camo, in fact I still have a sweatshirt that must be 16 years old or more that I refuse to get rid of!

I also undrstand that Jim Crumly, the designer of Trebark, is bringing back the original disign again.

So far, my order will be camo limbs, checkered grip, fastflight option.  Man, I better start saving my pennies!!!!!!

Glad I don't turn 50 till May 2008.  If I want it by then, I plan on ordering it this July.

Lee  :pray:

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2007, 09:56:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jeff Sample:

Jeff,
The riser is rosewood but what wood is the wave and the the limbs?
Thanks,
JD

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2007, 10:32:00 AM »
keith, no but Dave did some testing and the Fast Flight, 60#@28" with a 540 grain arrow went 195fps while the Dacron was 187fps.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2007, 11:40:00 AM »
The difference is noticable. I have shot both on my FF bow and you can see the difference.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
Lee;
    That old Tree bark is my favorite Hardwood hunting Camo. On the ground i think ASAT is the best.

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
Mike it is not that noisy. I can tell a slight difference but it is quite as some longbows. Silencer placement makes a big difference.

I agree with the original Treeback as a great camo. I have a Cabelas' outfitter fleece jacket that will be 18 years old this season and I'm not about to give it up!

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2007, 02:24:00 PM »
To keep in line with the thread, has anyone shot or does anyone own one of Dave's Silvertip longbows?  I have a recurve already, and was also throwing his longbow in the mix for a new bow.

I'd like opinions before I decide on another recurve, or go with the longbow.  Any input would be appreciated.

Lee

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
Lee, You might want to talk with Scott Dillon (Carcajou). I believe he has owned several of Dave's longbows as well as his recurves. I think he even has one listed in the classifieds here.
Fred
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Tyler Carlson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2007, 03:18:00 PM »
Lee- I bought a slightly used Silvertip longbow in pristine condition in the spring of '05 and shot a deer with it that fall. I found the Silvertip very easy to shoot, but my hand doesn't agree with the grip very well, so I switched back to recurves for hunting purposes. The silvertip longbows are extremely good looking, and I found it very easy to switch between the longbow and my Marriah recurve.
"The desert's quiet and Cleveland's cold..."

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2007, 08:10:00 PM »
Keith, you don't need no stinkin' stats man   :D   the only reason to get the dacron model is if you want an exotic riser.  Dave put some catwhiskers on my string and I added a bit of bowhush and my FF is plenty quiet for me.

Lee, I shot a few longbows out there too.  They were VERY nice.  The grip is "longbowy" though.  I am way too accustomed to the Shrew grip to change.  Maybe someday I will try to talk Dave into making one like it.

Offline SilverTip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
64" 70lbs at 29" draw

Billy
If Jesus Christ guides your arrow, its really hard to miss.  Billy

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
Is non ff smoother than ff to draw??
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2007, 11:10:00 PM »
No, but it does feel a little different as the shot is off.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©