3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Silvertips?  (Read 47627 times)

Offline Brad Davis

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Silvertips?
« Reply #260 on: January 22, 2007, 07:40:00 AM »
I shoot a 60" 54#@27" dacron model. Walnut dymondwood riser, antler tips, prairie rattler skinned dymondwood limbs, checkered grip.
Mommy, where does bacon come from??
Well, a pig sweetheart.
Well how does a pig lay bacon??
Cassie 5

Daddy, what season is it?
Well, winter season honey.
No! What "hunting" season is it!!
Cassie 8

Kids, ya gotta love'um!

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #261 on: January 22, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
Lee~

The Silvertip longbows are great longbows. they are FF compatible off the shelf.Very quick, and dead-in-the-hand. They handle heavy arrows well, and are very quiet when braced properly. the grip is the same as the Silvertip recurve. One of the nicest longbows out there. My current honey is a 64", 53@28" Yew/cocobolo, checkered grip with polished sheep tips. You cant go wrong!
Mike~
I draw a 27" arrow, and find that the 60" bow is very stable, and forgiving....Dacron or FF doesnt matter to me...my favorite is my bocote risered, stained quilted maple limbed, checkered,Antler burred, sheephorned tipped, beauty, called.."Bucks Doom"..with a back up set of camo limbs for hunting..56@28"....
You wont find a finer longbow or recurve out there, and service is excellent! Buy one TODAY!  :D
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #262 on: January 22, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »
lol steve i know never been much of a stat man myself.just looking for something to chew on during the wait.i did go with the ff option walnut diamond wood and curly maple limbs

Online 1/4 away

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #263 on: January 22, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »
I shoot a 58" 53#@27" dacron tip. Charcoal Dymondwood riser with yew stripe, checkered grip, yew limbs with antler tips and TD knobs.
Do not follow where the path may lead.  Go, instead, where there is no path and leave a trail.

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »
JD,

I don't know what wood Dave used in the rosewood riser wave; the back of the set of limbs without the skins is Russian olive, and the belly (not shown) is red elm. For limbs with skins I just have Dave stain the actionwood on the belly side to match the riser. I've done this for my walnut as well as rosewood bow, and the actionwood actually looks pretty good.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline Jeff Sample

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #265 on: January 22, 2007, 11:12:00 AM »
Both of my ST recurves are 62". I have limbs ranging from 63-66# at my draw length of 29.75". I shoot POC arrows 30.5" long and spined at 90-94#. On occasion I shoot 2315 aluminums.
Jeff
Give me oysters and beer, for dinner every day of the year and I'll feel fine – Jimmy Buffett

Offline sunny hill archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #266 on: January 22, 2007, 12:32:00 PM »
Mine is 62"long and 71lbs @30" Pics are on page 12 of this thread.I have one on order that will be 60"
I shoot 2315's and am trying to get some Grizzlysticks tuned up for it.
The old order is passing. Swiftly receding into memory are the days of strong, earnest men who followed an atavistic yearning to pit their skills against wild animals.

Billy Ellis

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
My hunter for the last 2 seasons "Ole Death" is a bocote riser, zebra wood limbs dacron model. 62" 59@29.

The new fastflight bow is rosewood DW riser, kingwood veneers over actionboo. 62" 63@29. It doesn't have a name yet.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2007, 04:30:00 PM »
I am looking into a 60 inch bow for a 29 inch draw.  Does that sound too short for you guys?

I was thinking about the 58 inch riser with the long limbs.  Does anyone have experience with that combo? How does it compare to the normal 60 inch bow?  Smoother?  Speed?

Just trying to cover all my bases before I spend a whole lotta $$$ for a new bow.

Brett

Hunting tip:  Don't forget your socks when hunting in plain rubber boots in 36 degree weather.
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2007, 04:36:00 PM »
I would go 62, smoother, more forgiving, no problems with finger pinch. I have a 29" draw and alot of 60 and under bows have finger pinch to me.

Offline Lee Viv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2007, 04:47:00 PM »
My Silvertip is 58", 58# at 27 inches.  I used to shoot 2016 aluminums, now I shoot Beman Max 4  400's with 145 Magnus heads.   SWEET!!!!!!

Lee

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2007, 10:50:00 PM »
My latest Silvertip is 60" long and 52# @ 28" FF with Rosewood riser and Camphor Burl limb veneers-Purty. My hunting tip that I have had for a whhile is also 60" bow and is 56#@28". Walnut riser ,FF and has camo limbs. Bothe bows have checkered grips and sheep tips.  :)
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Carcajou

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #272 on: January 23, 2007, 09:35:00 AM »
Mike~
A 60" bow would be fine for you, the 62" would be even better, it all boils down to personal preference. The good thing about Silvertips is the smoothness of draw. You'll be amazed.....
" MEMBER ~ COMPTON Traditional Bowhunters "

"Searching through the remnants of my dream-shattered sleep"

Offline keith brimmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #273 on: January 23, 2007, 12:43:00 PM »
carcojou,i ordered the 58" because of my short draw of 26" am i going loose the smoothness of draw.i went with daves recomendations in his brochure.

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #274 on: January 23, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
Keith; You will be more than happy with your 58" Silvertip!! Good choice. I shot with a 65# 58" 'Tip for a long time and I draw 29".

Offline Bishop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #275 on: January 23, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
What takedown system is Dave using on his longbow?

Offline Trad Man 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2007, 05:58:00 AM »
WEll Guys you have definatly pushed me over the edge and am going to have to oder one. I have allways loved the look of those bows but never been able to pay that much money. But hay i think i will just have to do a little bit more work here and there and just save up for it. As i am sure i will be able to motivate my self to work if that is what i am working for.

But i dont really understand about the FF option. Where is it different to make it faster. If any one could shefd any light on that for me. And why dont they do FF with exotic woods.

Offline Trad Man 25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2007, 06:02:00 AM »
Ow sorry just one other thing, i noticed a lot of people shoot carbon or aluminum arrows from there silver tips. Is there any reason except personal prefference as i would be sticking to the  traditional POC if i get one.
Manny Thanks

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #278 on: January 24, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »
i have one of dave's longbows too....53# @26.5 inches. charcoal dymond wood w/ kudu tips/overlays and bacote veneers, REAL sweet and shoots extremely well. performs w/ the curve and very quiet. i use dacron on all my tips (they are all built for FF) and they still fling a mean arrow!!!  i think dave's LB's are one of the best kept secrets out there.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #279 on: January 24, 2007, 07:04:00 PM »
Trad Man, I think I can answer part of your question...The Fast Flight is going to be able to accept a Fast Flight string, adding speed, as well as have a reinforced riser (I think). I thought they did do FF with exotic woods (???). As far as arrows, that's preference. It's the kind of stuff Paul Schafer used (he shot aluminum) and that makes me feel good...kinda have a feeling he'd shoot carbon today   :)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©