3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: if a single bevel hits horizontally...  (Read 279 times)

Offline deermaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
if a single bevel hits horizontally...
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
it it hits the shoulder blade horizontally, will it still split using all the single bevel torque?  this is considering you have enough power to split it if it hit vertically.  does that mean there is only a 50 50 chance that narrow cutting width, and single bevel will be put to use, only if it hits bone, and hits it vertically?  i have no idea, just wondering what you opinion is.
"I dont want my country to do anything for me, I want to do everything I can do for my country"~~~Ted Nugent

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: if a single bevel hits horizontally...
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
I have seen Ashby's photos, and others, of single bevels "busting" every type of bone in various ways. Whether a shoulder blade is split horizontally, as in some published photos, or is merely cracked in any direction, the result is the same -- the bone opens up, easing the arrow's passage, netting better penetration. The point isn't to destroy bones, but to get penetration through them, which torquing single bevels do better than punch-through double bevels, not matter how they hit. Hundreds of repetitions of testing by Ashby prove this nicely. Dave

Offline Java Man

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »
I would think, that since the arrow and head are spinning WITH energy, the bones would split in their weakest direction.  Just a guess.

Gregg
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 12:42:00 PM »
Maybe Ed, will weigh in. Although I think     :eek:  , Both Dave and Gregg are correct.

Doc may weigh in, then again maybe not for a while. My last e-mail from him went like this on 2/15

Yipee! I free to travel! Being stuck in one spot is just NOT ME!!!!

I'm going to be on the road from tomorrow AM until I arrive in Georgia. I'll have to wait until I get there to send you a phone number; not sure yet with whom I'll be staying when I first arrive there. (I hate it when everyone wants you to come stay there first ... and you're the one who has to make the choice.)

Ed

That's funny stuff right there    :D

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©