3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: super heavy brass inserts  (Read 789 times)

Offline DanDaMan

• Trad Bowhunter
super heavy brass inserts
« on: February 20, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
for any of you guys that have some say in what manufactures make, how bout suggesting some super heavy brass inserts for carbon shafts.  100gr is great but I would love to use a 150 or even 200 grain brass insert with a 145 or 125 field point/broadhead.  The longer brass insert will give the arrow some internal footing and keep me from having one of those long fieldpoints on my arrows.  I have found that the longer field points are more prone to bending when the 3d targets jump or duck my string and I smack something not so forgiving behind it.  Just a thought but I know that I would be interested.  Just not sure why they had to stop at 100 grains.  Thoughts anyone????
Dan
Horne Mountain bow 60in 57@29
Horne Combo Hunter Longbow 64in 59@28
Dryad Orion Longbow  60in 60@28
Hoots 54in 48@28

Offline rkmnt2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: super heavy brass inserts
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
I'm with ya Dan. 125 heads, be it field tip or broadhead, are super easy to find whereas something heavier is 'special'.....you're not gonna get em at Walmart! I've been thinking of making some for myself if I couldn't find any already on the market...just haven't made the time yet.
   We'll see what this thread turns up....
         Don

Offline BobW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 02:04:00 PM »
First of all, because not enough people were asking.... keep in mind, we also didn't have BH's over 150 back 3-4 years ago.....

Now, for a solution, you can get screw in heads up to 250, but you can also tap the back of a brass insert and utilize the screw in PDP weights.  Also look at Lancaster Archery for point weight options (accessories to up weight, not heavier points).  Keep in mind, all you are doing is moving the weak point.  This has been discussed many times.

You can use 160 gr field points and steel adapters to make your own points.  Same for broasdheads.  Lots of possibilities to "make weight".

Best of luck!
"A sagittis hungarorum libera nos Domine"
>>---TGMM-Family-of-the-Bow--->
Member: Double-T Archery Club, Amherst, NY
St. Judes - $100k for 2010 - WE DID IT!!!!

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
i like that idea as well, it would also tighten up spine a little
Bull

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
My buddy and i are going to try some stuff on his lathe and make it out of stainless steel! i'll post some pics when we start the project.

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 02:35:00 PM »
You can also glue in a .243 bullett...80 or 100gr in behind the brass insert when installing same...just make sure you scuff the bullett up before gluing it in.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
What size arrow will the .243 bullet fit into ??
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline Oliverstacy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 03:14:00 PM »
If you have a saw of some sort you could cut different inserts to different lengths and glue accordingly.  Granted I have an electric reloading scale that can weigh cut inserts but find a friend that does.  I’ll also post some lengths to cut them to and weight they come out as.

I have brass HIT inserts that could be cut and with a file the rough edges can be filed down and glued the same way the others are, in line.  I also was on the Easton website and they are now offering adjustable weight brass adaptors.  They look like you can snap them off at different weights.

Josh
Custom Flemish Strings by Oliverstacy!  
Kanati 60" 57@29"
AP Cumberland 66" 58@29"
WhisperStik KajikaStik 56" Recurve with Canebrakes...57@28"
WhisperStik KajikaStik aka "Wormy" RC & LB,both 55@29"
Martin Savannah 50@28"
Kota Kill-um 55@28"

Offline tiur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 03:15:00 PM »
use 2 brass inserts or get some 300gr points from
git r done, they are tuff.
ASL

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 03:20:00 PM »
Well, Tuir...that is just so simple it's brilliant!

They make 50 and 100 gr. brass inserts...threaded all the way through with 8-32 thread... lots of all-thread in 8-32...so just epoxy or locktite a 100 + 50 = 150, or 2, 100's for 200...geeze...keeps going from there.but it will move the FOC back a ways.

Then there is that interesting thread that OL and Doc Ed had started about forming a tapered internal footing to fit behind the brass insert, that allows the arrow to bend and doesn't "MOVE" the weak point...it eliminates it!

Sweet choices all around!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline DanDaMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
I thought about threading two inserts or more but then you just run into the increased cost.  Those 100gr brass inserts aren't cheap and when you are using two to three doz for a doz arrows, well it would just be so much nicer to have a heavier one that does it all.  
dan
Hoots 54in 48@28

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
Limbow...the .243 bullet will fit in most regular carbons, not the slim line ones...most regular carbons are .244/.246

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
Thanks! I will give it a whirl.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline cr549

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 07:02:00 PM »
Dan,
Gold Tip grapht shafts have brass weights and you just add as much as you want to tune your arrow.
Fred
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline DanDaMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
CR549

Those aren't brass weights.  They do have a tunable system but those are attached to a aluminum insert.  I would feel better about having a solid 4 inch long piece of brass.  would make for an internal footing and still give a good foc

Dan
Hoots 54in 48@28

Offline manyletters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Dan...I just went downstairs to the shop and sawed the collar off a 100gr brass insert with my arrow saw...the remaining portion weighs exactly 80gr

Offline Cherokee Scout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 07:30:00 PM »
Gold Tips are .246, CX Heritage are .244.
John

Offline cr549

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
Dan, Yes you are right about the aluminum insert; however I gorrila glue in six 50's a 20 and a 10 grain and shoot a 165 gr. Zwickey and i haven't had any come out as of yt and I have a good FOC. I haven't had the same luck with a brass isert with brass weight behind it; they won't stay glued in or epoxied. I will look around and see if I can locate some longer and heavier inserts then let you know how they work out. The weights I use are brass and do screw into the insert as you stated.
Fred
Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
- George Orwell

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
I got by with a section of brass all-thread, inserted first, followed by two .22 LR bullets, followed by the alum. insert. Total weight of arrow is 650 grains with 20% FOC. Seems to work great!
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 05:12:00 PM »
cut the collar off one and fill it up with molten lead. you want something really dense so you get weight without length. if one had a lathe you could drill out the insert to make a 'jacket' for the lead.

anyone got some depleated uranium? that's nice and dense.  :bigsmyl:
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©