3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: super heavy brass inserts  (Read 790 times)

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: super heavy brass inserts
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
I've been drilling & tapping the end of the brass inserts, just adding the weights as needed. It's easy 1/8" bit and #8 tap.

Offline DanDaMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2009, 07:35:00 PM »
When you drill and tap the brass inserts, do you use the gold tip weights?
Horne Mountain bow 60in 57@29
Horne Combo Hunter Longbow 64in 59@28
Dryad Orion Longbow  60in 60@28
Hoots 54in 48@28

Offline stykshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
Yes DanDaMan I shoot GT's.

Offline Tilzbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
Dan,

you can also use PDP weight screws once the back end is tapped. I believe both 3 Rivers and Lancaster sell these.
One man thinks he can, the other doesn't. Both are right!

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 10:31:00 PM »
dan actualy goldtip started the wieight system with brass and yes they are usualy threded into a alum insert but they fit just the same in a brass one you could easaly make a 3 inch brass footing, ive done it.

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 10:40:00 PM »
I would like to see brass inserts heavier and the right diameter. I can't find any that are .246 (Kinetic IIs and gold tips) they all seem to be one size fits all. So I've been using either steel all thread or a field point screwed into the insert like the little weights. Some inserts have to be tapped out though. 20 or 21/64 fit right in a 22 or 23/64 aluminum arrow. On the gold tips 1/4 all thread will usually fit right in and if it doesn't you can just rasp it slightly and it will fit. I glue them in with hot glue and I could glue the point and insert in with epoxy for big game if needed.
I converted all my stump arrows first just to get a feel for it. Last week I was out hunting and stumping and I shot a 2315 into solid granite downhill and it just bent a tiny bit, it completely rounded off the field point (65# pronghorn). I'm sure that these arrows are holding up better. And they shoot fantastic.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 11:23:00 PM »
How about a brass screw that threads into the back of the insert with brass washers stacked on the screw until the right weight is achieved?
My other method is working, but I have fears of the weights breaking free of the epoxy and riding up the shaft in flight and changing the arrow's trajectory.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Str8Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »
" I can't find any that are .246 (Kinetic IIs and gold tips) they all seem to be one size fits all."

How about wrapping the brass insert with a small piece of foil, but leaving enough on the ends for the epoxy to seat it to the shaft? Wobble would be a concern, but maybe it could be centered fairly easily. I'd want something I could tap the back for adding weights and the brass inserts would be good for this.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 09:53:00 AM »
Everyone knows I a big fan of heavy heads. 1 or 2 100 Brass inserts will do plenty and the cost is worth it. 200gr. in inserts is fine but depending on the BH, It may not hold up to the extra pressure (Aluminum Inserts) and just fold up (Vented Blades). I have seen it happen.You wouldn't shot hollow points at a tank, I want armor piercing.

Offline DanDaMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Well Mr. Morrison, I do agree with ya but with as many arrows as I go through shooting 3d, cost does become an issue.  I would love to shoot 400gr up front with your broadhead but I cant find an arrow I can do that with without being way heavier than I want.  I want an arrow weighing 630 to 675 with as much weight forward as I can get.  Having some arrows that I can use the weight with inserts instead of 300gr field points would be great.  Use those for 3d and use smaller inserts with heavy BH for hunting.  But that is part of archery.  I dont think I have ever had an arrow that was "perfect".  Always want either more weight, more weight up front, less weight, well ya get the drift.  

Dan
Horne Mountain bow 60in 57@29
Horne Combo Hunter Longbow 64in 59@28
Dryad Orion Longbow  60in 60@28
Hoots 54in 48@28

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
No way Str8arrow, if it don't fit right I won't use it. That arrow I shot into granite had a aluminum insert and there was no damage. But it was in there strait. I also shot a GT 340 into a 7/8s steel all thread (part of the target)at 45 yards and it didn't bust the arrow (heavy EFOC). It ruined the field point though, usually it destroys the arrow too. Didn't hurt the aluminum insert either.
I do find that with my target arrows having the weight spread out over the last 3" of arrow shoots better than all the weight in the tip.

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
I hope I'm not over drawing my Dakota Bob.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©