3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: WHy choose a tab over a glove (or vice-versa)?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
WHy choose a tab over a glove (or vice-versa)?
« on: February 21, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
I started with a glove.  That's my reason.  Is it personal preference, ONLY?  Or...are there advantages/disadvantages to each?

Please indulge a novice question...lol.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: WHy choose a tab over a glove (or vice-versa)?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 08:50:00 AM »
I get a cleaner release with a tab than I do with a glove.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 08:52:00 AM »
Jeff, I too, started with a glove, and have switched back and forth several times.  I'm back to a tab now.  I like the "feel" of shooting with a glove, but the tab is where it's at for me now.

I don't think one is inherently better than the other.  The reason I switched, is that the tab helps me use a deep, consistent hook on the string.  I've been struggling with release issues since I started shooting again.  I find with a glove, I tend to have more of an "L" shape with my fingers, vs. a good "J" with the tab.  This may not be true for everyone, but it's working for me.

It does boil down to personal preference in most cases.  If I ever get to the point where my entire shot sequence is burned forever into my little brain, I may go back to the glove.  For now, the tab gives me the ability to concentrate on other parts of the shot sequence and not worry about my string hand/fingers.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
I used to shoot a tab but after dropping it out of my tree stand a few times I went to a glove and never looked back.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
GMMAT,   There is no "this is better than that" when it comes to gloves vs tabs.  The shooter must decide what works best for them.  I can shoot either, but I started with a tab many moons (make that decades) ago and I use it more than the glove.  The tab has less material to contact the string and is less likely to hang-up, so to speak.  If you like the glove, and shoot well with it, then I would say a glove is the way to go.  If you haven't tried a tab, however, you may want to try one just to understand the differenct for yourself.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
I'm a hunter, guys.  Dropping one from stand could be remedied with carrying a spare, I suppose.

When I hunt, I find I can't wear my UA gloves under my current glove.  Maybe I could use a tab with the gloves (or, I could naturally order a larger glove).

I'm likely going to give a tab a fair shake.  Any material you guys suggest?  Leather with seal?  Other?

Thanks.

Offline Col

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 10:10:00 AM »
Generally what I've seen is target shooters lean toward the tab moreso than hunters.  Folks preferring a tab almost invariably relate they get a cleaner release.  

I'm not a good enough shot to see much difference for myself, but I like how a glove feels and think I get a better rate of fire; sometimes I like seeing how fast I can empty my quiver, just for kicks.
Shooting with feeling since 1976 & luvin' every minute of it.

Thanks Dad!

Offline East Coast archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
I have gone back and forth between the two, but find that I tend to shoot a little better with a tab.  I wear unlined mechanics gloves with my tab year round.  The tab I have come to like is a Bateman tab with cordovan.
"God gave you feet for a reason, so you can take a step forward and keep moving, even though it's hard, but you have to because the tides going to come in." TAC

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 10:33:00 AM »
Gone back and forth, currently using a tab.  The one I chose is a Bateman cordovan also with the elatic finger holder...this way I can adjust it to fit over gloves or bare hand AND I can cinch it down so it doesn't come off easily.  When I don't want it in the way, I just rotate it around to the top of my finger/hand.  Works great for me.  I also keep an extra in the top pouch of my Dawgware quiver just in case.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
The string just slides off my fingers better with a Cordovan tab. I think less resistance leads to less interference with the string. A lot of the best target archers use a tab. Must be a reason. At first it felt kind of funny when I switched. I will never go back now.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 11:28:00 AM »
I like being able to jut swirl the tab around the back of my hand when I need my fingers free to pull the arrows as opposed to removing all the finger socks. I like that with my Cavalier Elite, it is adjustable by the spring/paracord set-up so that I can put it over warm gloves and still obtain the same basic feel/consistency on the string. I think I hit my anchor better with my fingers being able to feel my lip, the nock etc. etc. The tabs seem less susceptible to forming a string catching grove.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
It'a personal preference with me.I started out with a glove but switched to a simple cordovan tab.I uise a single finger hole Bateman with the finger seperator.I can control the arrow better with my bare fingers and then flip up the tab.I get a good clean release.

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
I started with a glove, couldn't stand a tab. Got tired of getting my butt beat by those shooting tabs and switched...Tabs being more accurate isn't subjective, it's a fact. What I did in the beginning is I didn't give them a chance nor did I put much effort into finding the right one. Once I put out the effort, I wouldn't shoot a glove other then to remind myself of why I don't!  :) ....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
I checked on a BAteman....and 3Rivers doesn't offer a 3 under Bateman.

What are your suggstions for a 3 under tab?

Thanks, sincerely, gentlemen.

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
I could never get used to the feel of the glove at my anchor point in the corner of my mouth.  Always prefered my bare fingertips.

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
I second the Bateman cordovan tabs.  You can order them direct from Bateman.  Large selection of styles on their website.  I got one at the UBM gathering from 'The Nocking Point' (sponser).
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
I can tell you why I shoot a tab and not a gloves.  because I shoot a tab a LOT better.
'
rusty

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 02:56:00 PM »
Jeff I shoot 3 under and cut my own tabs from leather. I have 2 extra tabs and a extra string in the pocket of my Arrowmaster at all times! I tried a glove but just couldn't get the smooth release that is needed! I wear UA glove liners under my Fold back mittens and my tabs fit well and no chance of dropping them!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 03:26:00 PM »
I prefer an open style (no palm, just the three finger stalls) glove, but that's almost entirely because when I fasten the strap around my wrist it becomes much harder to lose.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
It seems that I get alot of soreness between the fingers when I shoot a tab. Why, I dont know, thats why I shoot a glove. Mabey some of the tab shooters can give me some much needed advice on how to avoid this, and I might give a tab a try again..
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©