3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: a question for the sheep hunters out there  (Read 498 times)

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
a question for the sheep hunters out there
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:46:00 PM »
ok, so i'm an aussie in canada and i'm probably only going to get the one chance in this lifetime to go on a sheep hunt. i'm in B.C. and i'm using a trad bow. what species would you think i would be most likely to have success on, or at least see some animals? but i'll be realistic, success isn't the be all end all, it's the great experience. i'd be hunting public land in bow only season most likely. it's the only dream trophy of mine that you don't have to go into a draw to be able to hunt.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: a question for the sheep hunters out there
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
In BC I would go for Stones.  Can you get in the deep-dark back country?  That what you will really need to do.  I suspect most of us that have hunted sheep on here will come down to AK residents that have hunted Dall's and some Rocky Mtn boys that have beat the dds and drawn a bighorn tag.

Experience beyond that will probably be really lean.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
Best thing you can do as a BC resident is to look at the guiding areas that take good sheep.  Two that have decent access are Sone Mountain Safaris and High and Wild (used to be Big Nine).  There are a few others, but the sheep aren't everywhere and the sheep outfitters aren't going to be where they are not...

You can get back in there as a BC resident.  They are not going to like it, but I would say if you are respectful of their operation and keep out of their way, it IS Crown land...

I think you are going to find there is a lot of competition, but if I was a BC resident, I would for sure be looking for a ram.  What an opportunity!

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but as a non-resident of BC, you'll need a guide for hunting any big game species.If you have the depth of pockets, a stone hunt is the way to go though.
You are near the heart of kootenay elk country being in Cranbrook, so that might be a thought as well...
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 03:48:00 PM »
If you've been living here, B.C. for the past 3 months I think it is, you qualify as a "resident". Public land, there's lot's of it, & bighorns would be your best bet in the Kootnay areas.

If you hunt alone, as I do, you best head down to the local coffee shop early in the morning & ask about where the grizzlies mostly are. Mountain griz are smaller, but tend to be a whole lot meaner. Yep, personal experiences....laffs. Oh, & don't let anyone put a pikka in your pocket or pack. The locals do that to newbes so they too can have a grizzly tale to tell.

Any hunting in the Kootnays, or B.C. for that matter, will take your breathe away with nature's awe & beauty. Take a good camera.

All the best & good luck,...watch yer backtrail - Q.
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
in june or july i'll be considered a resident. (6-7 months) got here on the 28th Nov. so i should be right for DIY hunts.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »
Clint, you might want to double check that. Page 3 of the 2008/9 Synopsis is clear that you must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada, or have had a permanent primary residence for 12 months prior. Basically if you don't have a resident hunter #, you aren't eligible. If you have managed to jump the paper hurdles, another great hunt is Thinhorns in zone 7-41 north of Mackenzie. Gives you sheep plus moose and caribou.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
A sheep or goat hunt is dream hunt of mine, good luck, I hope it works out for you.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:16:00 PM »
daz- you're probably right! there's that many damn rules it's not funny. where can i find a copy of 08/09 synopsis? i've been looking at an old one.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »
daz- i think your right   :banghead:  

guess i can kiss hunting in canada goodbye.

come on 649 lotto!!!!
Thick fog slowly lifts
Food for soul and body.

Online Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »
Sorry. If you are looking for a chance to hunt in Canada, and are not hung up on sheep only, ask some of our fellow Trad guys here about Alberta or Saskatchewan. I seem to recall that there were certain zones in those two provinces that were open to non-residents without guides.
Best of luck, and don't forget about the spring fly fishing around Cranbrook in another month or so...

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
It seems that goats are easier to get eith a bow, something else youmight look at.

the chef

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©