3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who still has there first bow....  (Read 1855 times)

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Who still has there first bow....
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:27:00 AM »
Hello Guys, Well I was out in my small bow making shop I got looking around and found the first bow that I made and hunted with it's an Ash longbow 45@26.. I made it over the summer then when the time came for deer season I was ready as I ever was.... I to her out for the first day of season but didn't see any thing....
I never got a deer with her but man did I have lots of fun... I did hunt small game with it with one kill I shot a rabbit on the run at about 25-30 yard man I was happy as a boy with a baseball bat..  

My arrows where some thing ele's they where 5/16 shafts I pick up at walmart and at that time I paited them what ever color I had on hand... I also didn't know about useing feather's for arrows and I when I went to buy shafts I would buy vanes and nocks and every think would cost around $15 for 12 shafrt doz nock and 3 doz vanes... Then for gule I used super glue   :knothead:    :knothead:  .....

But I then started to use real turkey feaher's that I picked up in the wood in the summer time and man did they fly better........

Sorry I know I got of track sorry guys....

I just wanted to see how many still had there first bow.....

Take care and God Bless,

Cody
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline GregD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who still has there first bow....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
Cody, I probably sold it to buy my second bow. I wish I still had it though.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »
My first bow was a Kodiak Magnum that my Dad had new. Killed my first deer with my first shot with it in 1978. I recently handed it over to my buddy Damion Halverson and he shoots it better then I ever did! It also spent a lot of time killing fish.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline hat creek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
I still have my Pearson Colt 45@28" bow I bought with lawn mowing money in 1964. About six months ago I took it off the wall and started shooting it again...just as much fun as I remembered it to be. That bow got me going again and I finally retired it after the lower limb blew up just before Christmas. It still hangs on my wall, but I just received this past week the Quinn Stallion Classic I ordered. Great bow and it will do me for the next 45 years or so.

Offline limbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
First bow was a Jefferies t/d recurve. Sold it before I knew what trad gear was or what it meant to me. Thankfully it was re-introduced to me, bought a silvertip longbow which I regretfully sold but it will hopefullt be making it's way back to Michigan this spring. Once I actually to it serious, I never looked back.
Kevin Osworth
->>>--TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:51:00 AM »
Still have the first two bows I ever made. Both 55@28 Longbows, Shedua riser, maple lams, with black bowtuff glass back and belly. Made them in the summer of 1978. Both Bingham Projects 72" designs.
  Then went on to produce around 140 or so longbows of my own design. Stopped making them in early 80's when personal finances got in trouble.
Have been considering starting the business back up, but as of yet haven't done it.
   Also still have the first three bows I ever owned.
My first a 15# hickory flatbow I was given at age 5
Second a 40# fiberglass bow at age 7.
Third a 45# bear Kodiak my Father bought me at age 7. I believe it is a 1955 model.  And I hunted with it  till I was 12 and moved up to a 50# Kodiak.
   I  guess these bows are the reason I've always shot heavy draw weights. When you learn to pull them at a young age you develop the shoulder muscles early.   :archer:

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Yup I started young shooting heavy bows as well and ever since thats all I have shot none of the bows I shoot are under 60 pounds....

Offline duck'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »
My first new bow was a Black Bear Hunter made by Bear Archery in Gainseville, FL.  I saved and saved and finally had "just enough" to buy it (thanks Dad).  It is 58" AMO and 45# @28".  I still have it on the rack...purchased mid 80's.  Unfortunately, it had a not-so-brief career killing fish so it took a severe beating.  About 2 years ago I sent it to Bowdoc and probably spent as much if not more than I bought it for new to have it re-done.  It looks great and I don't regret it a bit!

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 12:03:00 PM »
Yup BD dose a hell of a job....

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »
I don't have my first bow.  My first bow was made from Maple tree limb by my Dad over 40 years ago.  I was a Cub Scout back then, and our troops had a turkey shoot, and I took first place with that bow.  Cody, thanks for reminding me of those days.
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 12:18:00 PM »
My first real hunting longbow (30 years ago) is a 68" Proline Saxon 75#@28" hanging in my bowrack. Last kill-Easter 2008, 110# pig through the heart/24 yards.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline mq32pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 12:30:00 PM »
I still have mine it's a blackhawk scorpion 43# I now have 3 of the same bow. I'm now on my 7th homemade longbow. I'll never get rid of the first2 and having a hard time selling off any of the others!

Offline artifaker1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 12:35:00 PM »
I still have the bear takedown my stepdad gave to to me around "77" give or take---down. I think he picked it up on pool shooting debt. That would be my first hunting weight bow. This one of my most sacred possessions. But there was others, some I might not even remember. There was a American archery 27# 64" recurve that I shot for many years while I was a kid. good stuff.
Love is fleeting; stone tools are forever

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
i still have my first and second bows . 1st bow is a 45#@28" hickory longbow w/rawhide backing made by william santolla. ive had this bow since the second anual cta state tournement ,im guessing at the year of 1996. the 2nd is a 1969 bear k-mag that my wife bought for me 4yrs ago x-mas. i still have four arrows w/broadheads that i hunted with the fall of 96 when i got my long bow and they are still straight
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Found my first several years ago in a closet at my mother's house. This one is from the mid 50s.

I actually made a string for it and shot a couple of years ago. When I was a kid I thought it was the best bow in the world. My present day evaluation of it.....AWFUL, terrible shooting bow.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 01:39:00 PM »
Refer to my sig....  ;)  

Got it in '91,lived in the closet for a few years,got busted out recently when my trad fires rekindled again....  :thumbsup:    :archer:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »
Thanks for the pic's Mr.K great looking bow

Offline Teacher_of_the_Arcane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 02:03:00 PM »
Yup!!

It's a Ben Pearson hickory/glass laminate, "semi recurve".....draws 35# @ 28".  My dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was in sixth grade (circa 1960), after I'd learned to shoot at Boy Scout camp the previous summer.  I shot it until I was in college.
Lobo Lohr -- Old School Hunter

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
My first Hoyt.. Brought home for me by my Dad in 1972 or 73.  My parents kept the bow all these years and gave it back to me just a few years ago.  Way too cool to remember all the fun I had with this little 10# @ 14" bow as a young boy. Thanks Dad.

It will have a place on my bow rack from now on.

"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 02:43:00 PM »
Nice looking hoyt u have there my friend....

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©