3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who still has there first bow....  (Read 1856 times)

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who still has there first bow....
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2009, 07:29:00 PM »
I bugged my Mom and Dad for as long as I remembered for a bow and at  Christmas when I was 9 I saw it under the tree , went outside in my pajamas and shot it in the snow till I couldn't stand it . It was a York all fiberglass yellow bow , I still have it  . Shot my first big game (to me) animal with it that spring , a large muskrat that was raiding the family garden . I have a hero pic somewhere . That was 46 years ago , good memories , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline CBH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2009, 08:30:00 PM »
There's a story behind mine.
I still have my first bow...a Red Wing Hunter 37#. My Dad bought it for me for Christmas when I was 13 years old, and that was 36 years ago!
 When I was in my early twenties I ended up selling it to a friend. I regretted it later. A few years later my youngest brother knew that I was wishing that I still had the old bow. Early one Christmas morning he shocked me with a great gift. We were all gathered at my parents house to exchange gifts, and he handed my old Wing recurve to me and said "Merry Christmas".  It's one of the best gifts that I've ever received.

Offline Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2009, 08:51:00 PM »
Still have mine. First hunting weight Bow. Browning Wasp. 48#. Shot my first deer with it.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
I had a recurve bow in the late 60's as young kid. That bow got stolen when I was still in my mid-teens. Didn't buy another one until many years later, in 2003 when I bought a Savannah. Naturally, I still have that bow and I'll never sell it. When I buy a bow it's for keeps.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline Frank

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »
Lost treasures.

We’ve all had them.  There was that bow that you traded away; it shot very well but a “better” bow came along or maybe you needed more room in the den.  So you sold it, only to regret it years later.

There are those bows that you keep as wall hangers because they have a special meaning, like the first self bow you made or the bow that was given to you by that Old Fart bow hunter you so highly respect.  Then there are those that you wanted to keep, but for some awful reason, the bow mysteriously disappeared.

I was 9 years old and we had just moved to the farm.  This was South Jersey, 1974, and there was not a significant deer population, but a rather healthy number of rabbits and pheasants.  I would shoot my Fred Bear red fiberglass bow at an old chair in the back yard.  Life was good.  One afternoon, while enjoying a day of chair shooting, my uncle Eddie came over to pay a visit.  He sat there watching me and, when I was done, asked to look at my bow.  He commented that it was a good bow, for fiberglass.  But, if I was in the market for a new bow, he may just have one collecting dust somewhere.  Well, when I heard this, I was all smiles.

A short time later he returned with a long lemonwood bow that had recurved limb tips.  He explained that his uncle had made this bow for my mother when she was in high school.  When my mother saw the bow, she told me how she used to take it to school via the bus and shoot high school archery.

I put a new string on it and ventured down to what use to be McCrory’s and bought up a mess of arrows, a snap-on quiver with a cheap plastic hood, and I started shooting.  I practiced all summer and fall, just waiting for small game season to start.

First day of small games season, 1975, a bit chilly and I went hunting.  Ventured down past the cornfields, crossed the road and hit the woods across from Murphy’s farm.  I passed a few shotgun hunters and they all but chuckled when they saw my bow.  It was longer than I was tall.

I started hitting the thickets.  I’d sneak up on them, look into them, and see if I could find a sitting rabbit.  After a few hours, my stalking skills started to get relaxed and I was just not as quiet or all that sneaky now.  Then, all of a sudden, the whole woods exploded as a big old cottontail jumped up and started to run.  He ran right in front of me.  I had already drawn, anchored, aimed and released.  The arrow flew from the lemonwood bow and the rabbit started tumbling, head over heels.  I trailed him for about 20 feet and found my trophy.

I promptly gutted him and started for home.  While walking down the dirt road I passed the two shotgun hunters who had chuckled.  The older man looked astonished and then congratulated me on my hunting skills.

This bow adorned my bedroom wall when I lived on the farm, when I lived in the city, when I moved to California, when I moved back to Baltimore, and then when I moved to Georgia.

When I ran out of room, I took the bow and a few guns to New Jersey to hang on the wall of my grandfathers den.

The bow has since vanished, but it’s still alive in my memories.
Can't cheat the mountain,
Mountain got it.

Offline Cody Roiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2009, 09:28:00 PM »
WOW my friend that is great I loved every min of reading that..
We as archer's must keep it alive by helping others into the sport WE LOVE.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 22, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
My first real bow was a Bear Grizzly, but its upper limb exploded one night while I was asleep.  That will wake you up in a hurry!!

I had only been into archery for  few months. After much deliberation, I ordered a Brackenbury Drifter.  For a teenager $355 was a lot of money.

That was 1993, and I still have the bow.  It's killed its fair share of game and even one P&Y whitetail.  Now I have moved on to other bows, but my first one will stay around.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline zipper bowss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 22, 2009, 09:53:00 PM »
I still have the first self bow I built as a school project.MAN, that was alot of bows ago.Im not so sure they would allow you to build a bow as a school shop project today.
Bill

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »
Sadly I do not.  Mine was a 30# Ben Pearson lemonwood longbow set my parents gave me in 1955 when I was 11.  I was heavily influenced by the movies "Robin Hood" and "Ivanhoe" from the 50s.

My target was a large olympic style target on a piece of plastic which I staked to the hill of a neighbor's backyard and had to shoot over a chain link fence and an alley (we lived in the city  in a row house).  The arrows were cedar and started off matching but quickly became mismatching due to breakage and shortening.  I rarely threw one away, rather kept shortening it.  And of course you had "your favorite arrow" the one that flew best all the time.

My quiver was a backquiver stiff as a board and sounded like you were dumping your arrows into a PVC pipe.  When you bent over they all fell out.  

My favorite target was a dummy I made out of an old pair of pants and shirt stuffed with newspaper and stung between the gate posts.  It was supposed to be "The Sherif of Nottingham".

Sadly I don't even has a picture of the bow either.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Yelloweye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2009, 10:00:00 AM »
I still have my Bob Lee Red Wing Hunter.
First thing I saved up to buy with my First job. 1974 or 3. Everyone else I knew was saving for a Rem 700 they though I was crazy, they were right, bow crazy

Offline Korak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2009, 10:01:00 AM »
I still have and use the first bow I ever bought.  It is a Fedora TD360 from 1973.

Korak
NW AR
1973 fedora TD

Offline Caleb the bow breaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
still have mine.  Not shootable.  Hence the handle.  It took a ride out of the back of my buddies truck and was craced up pretty bad.  i still have though.  Ben Pearson Cougar.

C
Oh squeaky treestand, how I hate thee!

Online Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2009, 10:09:00 AM »
My first bow was a scorpion longbow that I bought at the end of 1990 when I was 28 yrs old. I still have it but haven't shot it in years.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
I still have my first.  It was my Father's first bow as well.  A Pearson Jet.  I chased many bunnies around the yard with that bow.  It hangs on my wall these days.  Has a crack down the limb.
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
Wish I did. It was a McCullough Griffin 60" 53@28". Still regret getting rid of that one.  :banghead:    :banghead:  Bought it at Denton Hill in 2005.

Bill

Offline Jason_MO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
I still have my first recurve, a Hoyt Huntmaster that I bought in the mid to late 80's. Still in excellent condition and usually flings a few arrows each year..
Jason

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
I have only owned 2 bows in over 35 yrs.  I still have the first one.  It is a Herters's Stika @ 65 #'s.  I shot it for over 17 yrs.  Finally retired it.  It still shoots good, but is pretty slow by todays bows.  I shot a lot of animanls with it though.  Herter's had their own bowyers and it took a pretty big tree to make the risers.

Offline Wampus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
My first bow was a Bear whitetail hunter compound bow in the mid '70's and thankfully I don't have it anymore.  I do have my older brother's first bow, a Browning Nomad Stalker recurve that he bought new in '73 and gave to me when I got into recurves in the late 80's.

Offline Ryan High

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2009, 11:23:00 AM »
Yep my first trad bow was a Bear Grizzly I got about ten years ago and I still hunt with it.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2009, 11:24:00 AM »
My first bow(other than ones I made as a kid from string and saplings) was a Wing/AMF Hawk. Used it my first bow season, then had to have a compound. Three years ago, I dug it out and cleaned it up...I left camo duct tape on it...so a few days later I had it looking ok.
Still have it, and a few other curves that were my dad's. Might have to tote it along into the turkey woods this year. 58" 45@28.

"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©