3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 8 day elk hunt..What to pack?  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Budog56

• Trad Bowhunter
8 day elk hunt..What to pack?
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
There is a chance the me and a couple of friends will be going elk hunting this august..Well they are for sure and Im hoping I can get some funds to go with them. They are planning on walking in and being there for 8 days. WHat all would you pack. I realize the lighter the better etc. My main concern is food for 8 days etc.. Cuz keeoping energized is very important..THanks for the imput..

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: 8 day elk hunt..What to pack?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:38:00 AM »
I use the Mountian house dehydrated food. Its light, and I premeasure my water in advance. I have a small portable stove, and I just boil the water and dump it in! You have a great meal with high carbs that weighs next to nothing. I never elk hunted, but I do take it on all day hunting exhursions.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:41:00 AM »
Snickers bars!
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Budog, It's not food related it's more important than that! (grin)

Here is the list of essentials that I highly recommend! I have not adjusted the weight & items for a few years now; it appears to be perfect for our hunting style! We bring these items on all our elk hunts!

Water Bladder, min 60oz.
 4 Elk Bags-
 Wyoming Pack Saw-
 Orange flagging tape-
 Food for all day-
 Back up energy bars 5-
 Space Blanket-A Good One!
 Large plastic garbage bag-
 1 25' & 2 50' 1/4" nylon rope-
 Water Purifier Carbon Straw
 Roll of Athletic tape-Emergency Use
 Ziplock bag of matches,lighter,fish hooks,flies,20' fishing line,small packet magnesium flakes-
 2-knives & carbide sharpener-
 small leatherman-
 mini mag & petzel headlamp flashlights-
 4-extra AA batteries, fits all my units-
 Garmin GPS 130-
 Compass & maps-
 small notebook & pen in ziplock bag-
 6-rounds .357 spare bullets-
 Extra longbow string-
 Eye glasses-
 Baggie with aspirin, benadryl for bee stings, vicadin for bad muscle/leg pulls-
 Disposable camera,36photos-

All this goes into my Badlands Superday or 2200 Pack with tons of leftover room! It weighs 14#-15#

ElkNut1

Offline Tree Killer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
I'd add a couple of cheapie space blankets to elknut's list. They're liteweight, compact, and work GREAT for laying skinned and boned out meat on when butchering. Even if you put the meat immediately in your meat sacks, the space blankets keep your bags off the dirt. I'm anal about keeping meat clean!     :readit:
"stickbows, putting the arch back in archery"

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Depends....  how far ya walking in ?   Can you walk back out for  replenishing your supplies every couple days?  Can ya stand 8 days of dehydrated food ?  
ChuckC

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
as little as possible...useable emergency kit and everything that would fit in a small backpack/fanny pack. Sooo much easier to get around.
Elk Nut has a good pack.
You can go many days without food, not that you want to, but water is key.
It is a good idea to actually take a course in wilderness skills so you can feel more confident and actually cut your pack size down.
Parachord is a very handy item and with the proper knots is unbelievably handy.

Offline bjordnolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
I knew elknut would respond I followed his advise last year didnt forget anything and had everything I needed. Check out the vids on his site.
thanks
Eat Moose 12000 wolves can't be wrong.

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
Same as elknut, I use a wyoming saw, add salt and peper for grouse/fish, some fishing line and a few flies, 6 game bags (pillow cases), a few extra judos, and a good camera is a must!!!! worth the extra weight on my back for sure!

Offline sticknstring+

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
Nice pack Elknut! That sounds alot like our setup. One thing I've had save a elk hunt more than once is a sheet of mole skin in my first aid kit. A blister or sore toes can really change your hunt.  Cut a small piece of this stuff off and stick it right on a blister and your back to hiking.

Have fun!
Hunting elk in Oregon and hunting for Bears everywhere! (Grayling Bears!)

Offline antler chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 05:15:00 PM »
just a few  items I carry, trioxane for a fire starter they work even wet, a army poncho for a quick shelter or just to keep off rain, water filter & a small spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide for cuts or hard blood trails,for meals cameron hanes book backcountry bowhunting might give you some ideas.

good luck steve

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Well, if I read your post correctly, you're actually asking how to pack in 8 days worth of food???

Pretty tough.  The dehydrated meals are light, but unfortunately they are low calorie 6-800 per, and very bulky.  

Try some Balance bars.  Not the best tasting, but good balance of protein, carbs, etc.

About the highest calorie foods are nuts of all types, but they are high in fat.  Anything with high calorie per ounce it.  

You may need to go in and the back for more supplies midway.  If you're successful you will have to go out anyway since keeping meat that early is really going to be an issue.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
Budog -- this is a perfect set-up for the "Crash elk diet." Guaranteed to work. I once did a 5-day solo backpack elk bowhunt just below timberline with a 35-pound pack including a $3.50 (at the time) K-mart orange plastic "tent," a pint of George Dickel in a light plastic bottle, a water filter, 2 pounds of trail mix and a pound of elk jerky. Can't say I enjoyed every minute, but after a couple of days the hunger pains go away and your energy level soars and you come out a new man ... or a nude man, depending if you get so hungry you eat your clothes!   ;)

Offline elknut1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 07:06:00 PM »
Thanks guys! These are items we take on all out elk hunts & nothing other than food items never leave our packs! We are always good to go!
  The large plastic garbage bag doubles for a poncho or ground cloth for quarters!. (yes i've used it, grin) If you cut it open it's as large as a kitchen tabletop.

Dave2old, I would have starved to death with those eats!! (grin)

ElkNut1

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 11:41:00 PM »
My first sheep hunt here in AK was 8 days solo which turned out to be 12.  Bad weather kept the plane from getting me which is typical AK.

The last 4 days I ate only sheep meat and fat.  I could crap like an eagle.  You know, bend over and hit something 10 feet away.  Lost 17 pounds.  

It's a myth that your energy level soars.  In fact you have to rest regularly so your body can eat some of you to keep going.

Online Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Budog56- All of these are good suggestions, but its what you carry in your heart that is of most importance. Just KNOW that you are going and you will be fine. Ha!   Mike

Offline DBerrard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
Never been in the brush for 8 days but if I was and food may be less than usual...I would be thinking of vitamins.
David

~Kanati Klassic~ 50@26"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 12:47:00 PM »
For backpack hunting I eat the following every day:

2-4 Granola Bars
2 cups coffee
2 packages oatmeal
1 Cups GORP
2-4 TBSP Peanut Butter
8 oz package tuna in oil
Lipton rice or pasta side

I try my best to supplement with whatever fish or small game I get and huckleberries if I'm lucky.

A key thing for me is drinking as much water as I can drink.

That's about 2500 calories and weighs less than 2# per day.

I generally carry only 3-4 days worth and restock midweek.

Whatever you decide on, try it before your hunt.  Simulate your hunting conditions as much as possible.  Most of the sports drinks, energy bars, and dehydrated meals are not worth their price in my opinion.  Some people swear by them.  This list works for me.  I lose some weight but I don't suffer from low energy too much.

I know I'm really ready for a cheeseburger and a coke at the end of the week  :)
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
I thought ChuckC was recommending you take a package of "Depends" there for a minute. As far as the food goes, you might look at "freezerbagcooking.com" if you have a dehydrator or can buy one.Good luck!

Offline Str8Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
I pack in every two years, but not for eight days. So far, we've always had to take an elk to town before our trip was over and we could replenish.

Things I've been happy to have - water purifying tablets. Tastes terrible, but being thirsty or catching giarida, is far worse.

Quite of bit of protein - I always take in about 5 lbs of very dry jerky. I don't want to carry water weight and 5 lbs of jerky goes a long way. The other main food item I bring in is nuts. Very high in fat and relatively light weight for the energy they give.

Fishing line, flys and hooks - I've had many a good trout meal to keep me going when there wasn't much else worth eating.

A couple blunts - there are some good small game meals to be had if you're prepared - need an extra license.

Elk tenderloins one or two evenings - of course you don't carry these in - you've got to do your shopping in the back-country - I prefer the tenderloins from large 6-by bulls. For some reason they taste better.    ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©