3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who shoots big Snuffers?  (Read 1487 times)

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
Who shoots big Snuffers?
« on: February 22, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
Just curious, who shoots the big Snuffer. What poundage, arrow weight, bow type(LB or Curve)?If you shoot 'em give your opinion, good penetration, bad etc.  :rolleyes:

Online HARL

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who shoots big Snuffers?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 10:42:00 PM »
I have always had great penetration with the big snuffers.I have always been shooting bows over 70#'s though.My arrows where in the 725-750 gr.and I kept them very sharp.I still like the heads but have dropped to 65# and I don't see any problems.
62"63@28 Zipper Nitro
62"60@28 Zipper Nitro
A Doz. Hill Longbows

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 10:44:00 PM »
Yet to connect with an animal, BUT, I have 150 Snuffers on Carbon Express arrows, 650 grain total, 20% FOC, out of a longbow. 50# @ 29.5" . They fly true and hit hard.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
I killed 2 deer in Texas with 145 grain snuffers on 100 grain steel inserts.  These were on carbon arrows, 550 grains total.  I was shooting a 53# Wapiti recurve.

Did the job well for me.  Good blood trails.  I usually shoot 53#, and I would not hesitate to shoot deer sized game with Snuffers.

The doe in my avatar was shot thru the heart with a big snuffer.  She sprayed lots of blood and covered less than 75 yards.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline buckrunt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
Have been using the 150 grain Snuffer the last 2 years with a 55lb recurve and aluminum arrows and have been very happy with them.
2 Bucks and 2 Does and all have gone down within 75 yards with nice blood trails.

Offline Hackbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
I am using 160 gr. Snuffers with the 125 gr. adaptors. After using brass inserts and weights, my arrows weigh 855 gr. and I shoot them out of a 71# recurve. I have not killed anything with this set-up yet, but the penetration I get in my targets is outstanding vs lighter set-ups I've used. I have had several kills with the big Snuffers in my pre-stickbow days and the only non pass throughs I had were on a couple spine hits that embedded in bone and dropped them in their tracks.

IMO a file sharpened and honed Snuffer out of a mid to high weight bow is about as good as it gets for North American hunters. Mine have always flown well, sharpened easily, been tough on impact and penterated to give two holes.

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 11:49:00 PM »
Hackbow- you trying to kill freight trains with that set up?  WOW!

I am impressed.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 12:19:00 AM »
I do ! great broadhead (Stealth) 54@28 makes a big hole and death quickly!!
Gord

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:01:00 AM »
Guru might be along here shortly...his experiances with Snuffers were enough to get me to try them. Have yet to get a big game animal with them myself, but they have yet to displease as far as accuracy and durability are concerned...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 02:05:00 AM »
I've taken a few deer with the 160 grain Snuffers and really like them for Black Bear and Turkey. Want that large hole and smackdown power. Getting the sharp is no problem either, they hold a good edge.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 05:41:00 AM »
I shot a nice 3 yr. old 8 pt. with a big snuffer back in the late 80's. The entrance whole was so big a guy accused me of using a 12 ga. slug. Had to show him 3 slits on inside of opposite rib cage, he just couldn't beleive it.
Tom

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »
I`m useing 100gr.snuffers on 75gr. adapters,total 175gr. in Herritage 250 with 100gr.brass inserts.Total weight is 660gr.They`re flying out of my Bear Super Kodiak at 55#@28.They go where your looking.  :thumbsup:  And they hit with authority.
Harold Wetzler

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
Been shooting them 4 15 years.I 've killed deer w/ all the different weight snuffers and I prefer to stay w/ the 145's or 160's gr glue-ons.I've not had any damage to the heads after a kill w/
the 145's and 160's.Snuffers below those weights are too weak 4 my liking.
As 4 set-ups,
Bows from 52lbs too 75lbs all recurves of different makes at 27'' draw.Arros,485gr/725gr alums,carbon,and woods of several types.
I've had bad penatration twice and both times where w/ set-ups that weren't tuned.The first was a big bull at 35+ yrds w/ a 64lbs bow and the second was a small buck at 4yrds w/ a 71 lbs bow.
Tunning is the key for penatration.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
160 grain Snuffers leave big holes. This is an entrance hole.
 :bigsmyl:  

Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
I shoot Snuffer 160's for turkeys.  I want the arrow to do a lot of damage and stay in the bird; that's what happens.  I shot them deer hunting for a season and found that I couldn't punch them through the opposite chest wall consistently.  Dead deer yes, but only one hole.  So, Woodsman for deer, snuffs for turks.

56@28, 600grain carbons.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline bohuntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 12:11:00 PM »
I have shot 185 gr Snuffers with Axis 340's and a 125 gr insert out of my approx. 60lb Big East recurve. I got pass throughs on all deer I shot and busted the big wing bone near the wing butt in half on the turkey I shot. The 1st picture is a closeup of the Snuffer and the busted bone. The second picture is one of the whitetails that was Snufferized.

To me, the ultimate challenge in bowhunting is not how far away you can succesfully make a killing shot but rather how close you can get to the animal before shooting.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 12:27:00 PM »
Do they whistle in flight??? I SHOT Ravercaps an they seemed to make a noise in flight so i never hunted with them. If they dont i might try some..WHAT A BIG HOLE!!
Bull

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
HISS OF DEATH

Offline Dustin Waters

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
I shoot the 160's with 125 gr adapter and a 100gr insert.  In the Beman ICS 300(?) I think.  Total arrow weight is right around 590-600 grains out of a 58lb Tomahawk Longbow.  I will never shoot another broadhead.  They leave holes the size of 12 ga.  slugs.  They saved my arse on my buck this year,a nd for that very reason I will not shoot another broadhead.  I love them.  And they are extrememly easy to sharpen.  I am sharpening inept, but I can get those puppies ready to hunt in no time.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »
Dustin, pending on arrow length i bet ur arrows closer to 660-690grs. Do get any noise from the heads?
Bull

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©