3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who shoots big Snuffers?  (Read 1488 times)

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who shoots big Snuffers?
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
Has anyone done a tutorial on sharpening snuffers? I seem to remember one but cant find it
Bull

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 04:51:00 PM »
Should I be concerned that they hiss in flight ?I.ve always shot 2 blades but want to try the snuffers but they are noiser. Do  others notice the hissing ?

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 05:24:00 PM »
Ive been shooting 160 glue ons for over ten yrs 55 to 65 lb bows, wood arrows or aluminum with flightmate adapters. Never a problem with tuned set up or the deer far enough away to stablize. (10 yds...ten feet is too close but the broadhead still penatrated both sides.) As for the "HISS", its a soft noise similar to a bird flying by, I have shot over my share of deer and never had them react to the arrow in flight but jump from the impact on the offside ground. Usually the deer stare at the arrow wondering "what the hell was that" then take off.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Dave Pagel

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
I would not worry about any hiss.  I forget the name, but there is a paradox that relates to snipers and the quarry typically cannot hear the noise coming at them.  A noisy bow they will hear and react to, but the hiss they don't seem to.

Dave

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
Whats flight mate adapters??
Bull

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
I'll be useing 160gr snuffers w/43gr long inserts  should  be right around 200gr on front of some aluminums arrows for turkey and deer out of my Black Widows.
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline Gordy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2009, 08:56:00 PM »
145 gr snuffer on 31" cedar shaft. 57# Dwyer LB, Doe walked about 20 yards and tipped over.  I thought I had missed, it had passed so clean and bounced off the frozen ground behind her.      :eek:     I use the glass plate method and fine grit sand paper to sharpen mine.

In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
BIG (160g) Snuffers are AWESOME!  The lighter models are just ground down 160s.  Roger says use the big ones, so that is what I do!

Ryan did this tutorial on how they sharpen the Snuffers and it is a quick, accurate, and easy way to get a shaving sharp, hollow gound edge.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=031172

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2009, 09:34:00 PM »
You mean there is other broad heads???? 160 grn Magnus Snuffers is my go to BH....

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Been using the 160's since 1976 and no problems and no complaints from the critters! Especially great on Bears!

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 11:55:00 AM »
I've always used 125 grain screw on snuffers on my 2216's and have always had excellent results. Over 90% have been complete pass throughs. However this year I'm going with the 160 grain glue ons with a 43 grain aluminum adapter. I wanted to up my FOC from what It was. My arrows now weigh In at 614 grains compared to 561 grains previously. I shot this set up the other day to see how they would fly and they flew perfect!! Penetration In the target was better then my older and smaller set up was. I'm excited as heck to see what these big Snuffers do for damage on bear and whitetails this fall.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 04:50:00 PM »
Flightmate was the brand name for adapters that glue into the shaft and are tapered to glue points on to - no screw in to come loose. Kustom King and 3 rivers both carry them.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 05:06:00 PM »
I shot 160 Snuffers for years on wood and never had a bit of problem with them.  For some reason, when I went to carbons a little over a year ago, I decided I would maximize my penetration and started shooting single bevel's.  While I don't agree with most of the negative comments about single bevels, I am going to shoot Snuffers again this year on the carbons to remind myself what I've been missing.  Just ordered another pack of 160's from Kustom King today.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »
Those big holes are impressive, its got me thinking   :confused:  Molson i guess ur referring blood trails
Bull

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
I shot the 145`s a several years ago and started back this year with them.I`m still trying to remember why I stopped using them.

Penetration with a 49 lb longbow is good..

And the blood trails are floods...

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by Hattrick:
Those big holes are impressive, its got me thinking    :confused:   Molson i guess ur referring blood trails
Just all around.  Personally, I've never had a bad result with a Snuffer 160 or from a Grizzly 190.  The most devastating hits I've had have come from both of these heads. They are all you need to hunt anything in the world.

If I set my own opinion aside, the Woodsman is probably the best designed deer head out there as far as all-around performance from any legal set up goes.  If I include my personal opinion, I'd tell you not to spend a dime on Woodsmans until the manufacturer quits printing bs claims of "precision ground" and "sharp" on the package and starts taking just the littlest bit of pride in their product.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
I love the 160 grain Snuffers. I mount them on 100 grain adapters it 140 grain insert in a carbon arrow for 400 grains of point out of a 63#@29" Crooked Stic longbow.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Bowhunter4life

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »
Where's Curt?  ;)

I love the big Snuffers, but depending on my setup need to settle for the smaller one's from time to time...  All will do the trick as long as I do mine...

Great heads!

Bows I shoot 55# - 70# @ 29" Longbows for the most part (Shawnee, Cougar, or ACS-CX) or recurves (Cheyenne, or in the past DAS, Brack Quest, Silvertip, Widow, etc...)
"Bowhunting isn't a hobby or a sport... It's a way of life!"

Quote: "Everything you read on the internet is the truth." -Abraham Lincoln

>>>-TGMM Family of the Bow--->

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2009, 09:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Molson:

If I set my own opinion aside, the Woodsman is probably the best designed deer head out there as far as all-around performance from any legal set up goes.  If I include my personal opinion, I'd tell you not to spend a dime on Woodsmans until the manufacturer quits printing bs claims of "precision ground" and "sharp" on the package and starts taking just the littlest bit of pride in their product. [/b]
Tim, I totally agree bud!  

I guess most know I'm a huge fan of "BIG" Snuffers. I only shoot the 160's, and have seen the 145's which also look almost identical. Remember though, all snuffers are created equal, but don't end up that way. The light weight snuffers are 160's ground down to take off weight. In doing that there is a huge trade-off in durability and integrity of the head!

The 125-100 gr version is nowhere near the bh that the 160 is, not even close. They're basically just a very thin skeleton of the 160. I'd probably only use them for small game...but that's just my opinion....

When I want to use anything narrower or lighter, I go with the WW. But like Tim said, some of those are nowhere near what the originals were....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Curtiss Cardinal

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2009, 04:06:00 PM »
As far as WWs go I have just under 12 of the first production year and will not buy any new ones. I hear too many bad comments on the latest production runs.
As far as 3 blade heads go I think I may have to give 300 Xtremes a try.
It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare. ~Mark Twain
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©