3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bob Lee vs. Palmer  (Read 2924 times)

Offline Rob Fin

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bob Lee vs. Palmer
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2009, 09:32:00 AM »
I just bought a Lee Signature TD recurve. They had exactly what I wanted in stock. I got it one week from the day I ordered it. It was a great deal at $635. It's smooth and quiet and no slouch in the speed department. Service was excellent and friendly. I would definitely recommend the Lee. I haven't shot a Palmer, so can't say anthing either way about them.

Offline Mounter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I own 4 palmers and a trad slam will be here in 2 weeks. I have nothing but good things to say for his bows and customer service. Never any problems and bows were delivered when he said they would be. I've never shot a bob lee so will not comment on them other than to say the top of the line b.l. with exotic hard wood, etc. is not much less money than a palmer.

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2010, 04:03:00 PM »
I picked this thread up again because I read something recently that said that Palmer and Bob Lee were at one time in business together, and there was a split. Not interested in the gossip, just the bows--they look awfully similar (riser shape, etc.) Does anyone know if there is a performance difference given the big PRICE difference (although a top-of-the-line BL now hits close to $900)--I mean could the limb design be that different?

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Originally posted by limbow:
Pop some popcorn!      :campfire:  
:coffee:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I had Mike Palmer build me a bow, maybe 15 years ago ( single carbon 62" 53#@29"). I talked to Mike for close to an hour on the phone, just pickin his brain. Seemed like a nice guy to me. Never had a problem with the bow, still my go to bow. Would I spend $1200 for a new one? That's twice what I paid for mine. I think I would look for a used one first.

Offline doowop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
Having owned a few of both, the Palmer will be a couple of fps faster. If anything goes wrong, you are much better off with the Lee. Nuff said.

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2010, 05:27:00 PM »
I feel for the money you can't beat a
Bob Lee. Service is also first rate.

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
I own both...I can tell you that I can take either bow and shoot them without an obvious difference in how they shoot for me but every shooter is different. Both where bought used off this site for about the same price. I called about new limbs for my Palmer (something heavier)and found out that he is only making the Trad Slam bow for $1200 right now. I bet I could get some limbs for my Lee Classic pretty quick if I needed them so that would sell me on the Lee if I wanted a new one!
Mike Davenport

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
Bob Lee bows are great shooters, they are smooth as silk, spit out an arrow pretty fast. The one I ahve in the garage is has taken a lot of game , including antleope, deer and feral hogs . They are dead in the hand with little hand shock. The customer service is top of the line.

BUT I would never buy another due to them being the noisiest recurve I have EVER shot. I tryed everything to quite mine down . I found a way to quite it -Sell it .

Jack
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2010, 06:01:00 PM »
I have 2 Lee TD longbows--don't know about the recurves--and I quieted them down by adding those  Simms rubber things on the limbs (along with wool string silencers). Works like a charm.

So, my unofficial poll says not much difference in performance for most shooters, and a big difference in customer service for most shooters.

Offline Ghost Dancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
I currently own 2 Palmers and performance wise they are both very fast, stable and quite accurate.  They are probably the fastest bows I own. I was fortunate to buy them when they were half the price they are now.

I have never had an issue with them or Mike Palmer, and in fact he is very knowledgeable no doubt, but was quite friendly when I called him.  His wife even gave me his cell phone number and I called him while he was hunting.  I can assure you that I would not be as nice as he was.

In fact, when I was at Denton Hill my Palmer was chronoed the fastest bow for the few days I was there.  That was a 58 lb bow.
I waited a while for my second bow, but to compensate for the wait, he upgraded my limbs to the Trad Slam without cost.

So, would I pay that money for a Palmer, it all depends on your available resources, but from my experience they have been excellent bows, and will shoot with the fastest out there.

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
I have no experience with Palmer, but do with BL bows. My son and I have several Wings and BLs between us. I just sold one BL and have made a deal to buy another. I have, and have had many other bows, but I keep going back to the BLs.
I guess that speaks for itself.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline LCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »
My friend has 3 Bob Lee one piece recurve he shoots them great and they are well made. Hummingbirds for me though.LCH

Offline redfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »
BTW, I have had some noisy BL bows but finally figured out how to make them shoot quiet.
El Paisano
Ebi-kuyuutsi

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Of those two choices, I would take the Bob Lee every time over the Palmer.  No way it is worth $10 more than a Bob Lee.

Online Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2010, 01:08:00 AM »
i love the Lee t/d recurves and i am a big fan of there customer service and warranty .
i have dealt with Palmer as well ,  but if you can't say anything nice then you shouldn't say anything at all so i'll stay quiet .
On a lighter note when my mate was looking to get new limbs for the Palmer i had just sold him for an upcoming 'Buff hunt , Mr Palmer wondered why he wanted anything more than 55lb limbs and told us that he'd happily shoot our Aussie asiatic water buff with a 55 @ 29" bow ... mmmm

ben

Ben
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2010, 08:34:00 AM »
I shoot a Bob Lee Hunter takedown, it is a great bow. When I had it about 6 mos., I was letting a friend shoot it. The bow broke in half. I don't know what caused it but I contacted Rob Lee and they replaced the riser. Their customer service is great. I would definatly recommend a Bob Lee. I've never shot a Palmer. He seems like a crazy guy on the Traditional Harvests DVD's.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
I bought and Bob Lee Classic used from a Guy last year and I called Bob Lee Archery to see if I could get some new Limb, Rob Lee answered the phone he treated me as if I was the original owner made me a new set of limb and dropped the poundage on my old limbs and redid my riser, I told Rob I am a Customer for life I have never had any dealing with Palmer Bow,
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2010, 09:03:00 AM »
I have a Lee Hunter and it's great.  Someone borrow me a LH Palmer to test against it for a year or so, and I'll give an educated opinion on which is better...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
I have owned both and still own a Palmer single carbon. Mike and Sandy have never been a problem for me but I do know others with much different experiences. The lees have great customer service but I prefer the Palmer bows personally by far. I'd wait for a good used single carbon to show up though, I wouldn't order a Trad Slam but I'm not all into having a riser with all of those laser engravings on it my self. By the way, Mike hunts the single carbon himself last I knew and he can own any bow he makes lol.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©