3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If you put a stand on public land, is it still your stand?  (Read 2968 times)

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If you put a stand on public land, is it still your stand?
« Reply #60 on: February 24, 2009, 06:54:00 AM »
Hoosier report:
People will steal ANY stand they see. They will put them up on public, or posted private land, and then sneak in there and hunt. If the stand gets taken down, they don't care-they stole it anyway. They will take down Posted signs while they hunt, and then put them back when they leave. They will organize a drive through private land without landowner permission. They will be the first to bitch when someone proposes an anti-hunting law.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 24, 2009, 07:05:00 AM »
I'll have to go back and read this again cause I don't remember anyone stealing his stand just hunting from it.

Remember the controversial thread about leasing?
I leave stands up on all of my leases.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline BigAl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 24, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
I like the law here in NY. No permanent stands on state land. I asked about this years ago and was told that permanent stands (and that's what a portable is if left in place) denote ownership of an area, and they don't want that. When I hunt state land I use a climber.

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 24, 2009, 10:03:00 AM »
Here, you may hang stands or put up blinds 30 days prior to the season and must remove them 30 NLT 30 days after the close of the season.  The stand is yours, but the first person to occupy it has the right to use it.  However, they aren't supposed to take it.  Screw in steps are also allowed, but aren't supposed to be left after the season ends either.

All that said, the best idea is probably to take them down if you aren't going to be in them every day.  It would be nice if scum bags didn't exist, but they do.
Silence is golden.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 24, 2009, 10:37:00 AM »
Just carry it out of the woods...it's public land for pete's sake.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
I left my truck parked at the park yesterday while walking. Glad someone didn't carry it off.
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »
Off the subject but I have seen his name on here a bunch.  Who is Fedor Emelianeko?
Thanks,
Horner
What would you attempt to do, if you knew you could not fail?

Never leave the one you love, for the one you like.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2009, 12:38:00 PM »
Remember the controversial thread about leasing?
I leave stands up on all of my leases.

There's your answer, everyone start leasing. Then you just let your pocket book do the argueing for ya.  ;)
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline CrazyBuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2009, 12:43:00 PM »
Horner, If it's the Fedor I think it is he's a MMA fighter.

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »
OOOOOh ya, got you.  I would not mess with that guy.
Thanks,
Horner

Offline Horner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2009, 12:52:00 PM »
I also need to add one more thing.  This thread made me aware of one other problem.  That tape, I have also seen It hanging all over the place in the woods I hunt.  I always thought it was just the forest people marking out property lines or something.  I have however, seen it in places that I thought it should not have been.  Its sometimes good to be young and dumb, until your eyes open up and your like, what the @#$#@.
Thanks,
Horner

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2009, 01:17:00 PM »
Generally, if you leave something attached to public land long enough - like 2 years for a tree stand - you've pretty much made it a "fixture" and therefore available for public use.  Your truck is only attached by gravity so that's not a real issue.  Still doesn't mean anyone else is entitled to take your stand, but does mean he can use it if his own moral code doesn't preclude him from doing so.

I agree with Horner about the tape; I've used it to mark a trail entry so I could find it in the dark the next morning, but I think using it carries an obligation to remove it when you come back out.  It sure has no business being a claim on a piece of public land.

On the other hand, as someone pointed out, the supply of horse's asses by far outstrips the supply of horses.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »
Locdoc, the public land I have hunted on it is illegal to leave your stand unattended. Parking my truck on the edge of the public road is what was suggested to me by the authorities so if my truck was stolen I would report the theft. I don't believe these are at the same situation.
   I would not hunt from a stand that belonged to someone else without their permission or would I remove it.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
That is too bad.  I would have been all over that guy when I found him in my stand.  As far as I am concerned the land is public, but the sand is not.  Just like my car on the street.  I have a talk with anyone that knowingly sets up in bow range of my stands on private land.  Here we have to have a name on a stand left on public land and no screw in steps.  I use stick ladders and don’t keep them out if I am not hunting consecutive days on public land.  I usually only hunt public land with a climber, but I do have my ways to do it with hang on stands and I don’t keep them up all year.

Here is what I do for all my stands on property I don’t own and others I don’t know can hunt.  I hunt with chain on stands.  My favorite is the Baby gorilla. I wrap the chain around the tree and thread the extra in and out of the frame, which is welded.  Then I put the end link through the steel mesh platform with it folded up, and snap a lock on the end of it.  You can’t get it or hunt it without doing some cutting.  Not only have I not lost a stand, but I now have much less stand burn out from people hunting them when I am trying to let them cool down.  There is only one thing I hate more than stand thieves and that is someone that is too lazy to learn to hunt and find good spots of their own.  I started doing the same thing this year on private property where some relatives decided it would be a great idea to hunt my stand after they burned theirs out, and not tell me so I was wasting my time in them.  I just got three more baby gorillas for next year to fix that problem.

My other tactic is to hide steps and ladder stick in places where they are hard to spot.  Then I hunt with my Lone Wolf Assault.  I just hang it and hunt then leave with it.  Most people are too lazy to hall a stand in and out.  If I find a stand on one of my setups I leave a note and take the stand.  Then they can come talk to me and the land owner about why they think that was ok for them to take over someone’s hunting spot.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2009, 01:46:00 PM »
Stand theft is a "right of passage" here in Michigan. I've had half a dozen stolen and now use a tree sling, pop up blind or a climber. I do have a couple garage sale hang ons that I use. Best thing to do is make your stand look like a piece of junk so nobody wants it. If you put up a high dollar nice looking stand chances are it will be taken.
 Sorry to hear about your loss, I know how frustrating it is.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2009, 01:48:00 PM »
Xtrema, where in K-zoo do ya live?
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
Far west side off M-43 at the Co. line.  I hunt a lot in Middleville.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
I've always wondered how some of these people that lay claim to public areas think.  
I mean, when they head to the city park and their kids are using the jungle gym or swing set, does that mean it's exclusively thier's for that day?  :)  

The guys that like to steal treestands.  I wonder if they ever get nervous while they're up the tree pulling it off?
It's always been a fantasy of mine to find someone hanging from my tree just putting the bolt cutters around the lock.

I've always said it'd be a cold day in you know where before I sat in someone elses stand.  But the story above about the Gov't worker hanging stands on all the local water holes......nice job Billy Bob!  I might have had to sit in his stands just for the cause.  :p  

Anyone read the obituary for "common sense"?
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
Morning Star,

No obituary.  The problem with common sense is that unfortunately it's never really been common.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
OK - I don't get it.

I do know-- as I said that a lot of this has to do with where you are in the country.

But here is my bear baiting situation again. Every evening during the bear season; I drive 10.5 miles to park my truck; carry bait in on my back for 45 minutes to get to where my bait is.

I have to tag my bait. I therefore have to have a stand tree within 15 yards of the bait; that is not easy; as trees that will hold a stand are not abundant where I hunt.

So I carry 50 pounds of bait on my back for 45 minutes; and put it out; take my hunting clothes off my backpack or back quiver;put them on- and go up the tree. It may be in the 70s in the day and below freezing at night; its a hot walk in. You get overheated; and the bears have an easy time scenting you.

So you are all telling me that I should take down my stand every day and put it back up...

I am just going to say that you guys don't hunt bears. They lay up where they can watch the bait; and sneaking into the stand: is the only chance you have with them.

I have taken 17 bears with a bow; over 30 years of hunting them- I get picky - may not get one because of it.

So you guys are telling me- that you would take down your stand every night in the dark; and walk out the 45 minutes in the dark; carrying the stand; then come back the next day and carry in the stand and 50 pounds of bait? Or would you walk the stand in; put it up; then go back and get the bait; and put it in?

Because that sounds like a total joke to me.

Yes I have had problems where I bait with one other 'hunter' who not only used my stand; but moved it; took out branches I used to hide better; so he could shoot his rifle in all directions. He drove through the woods (illegal) to get to the stand in his brand new atv.etc etc

And I am the unethical one? NOPE not buying it.

I can understand in areas when your deer hunting on public lands; where claiming a tree and leaving your stand there would be rude.

That does not give a person the right to use your stand. What about these new blinds that fit right over your atv; so you can sit on your atv and be in a blind....?  If the atv owner walks off for a break; can I walk over and sit in his blind?

I just cannot believe that you would expect me to walk for 45 minutes; including lots of uphill; to put a stand in everyday. It sounds stupid to me.

And nobody commented on the FACT that outfitters here put up stands year after year after decade; in the same trees; using the same bait spots... would you feel right and ethical to 'use' an outfitters stand on public land?

Maybe you don't live in a wild enough place to have outfitters; but if you had to buy a bait tag; and put out bait for a month to get bears to come into it... and you have to re-   :confused:   bait each day.  Your going to bait the spot; then go and get your stand and put it up and hunt? That would be 3 hours a day walking back and forth to your bait.

All under the eyes of the bears; and you stink up when you sweat! Your going to sweat walking that far in hot weather !!

Well maybe that sounds logical where YOU are; but here it would be: just plain stupid. Your chances of getting a bear would be just about nil; and if the stand thieves are around; well they would probably steal your stand from your truck while your walking your bait in.

I am not trying to insult anyone; but really does your plan ~for where you are~ sound at all like what you would do: here ?
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©