3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How many Pig tags  (Read 939 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
How many Pig tags
« on: February 23, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
For a 4 days hunt in California, how many pig tags would you buy.  Don't want to go crazy but want to hunt throughout the days.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How many Pig tags
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 02:29:00 PM »
I you need more than 2 I want to know the spot!  :cool:

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 03:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bjorn:
I you need more than 2 I want to know the spot!   :cool:  
I second that.

But to your question i would carry no less than 2, On privet or public land the chance of getting more than 2 in a weekend, though doable are not the best, but if you conect on the first or second day you will have one left so you dont have to hit the nearest Wally World to get more.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
Okay, I went with 2.  If I leave with one left that seem like a good enough reason to drive back down.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
pig tags?  Learn something new every day.  What is the total cost of hunting a pig in Ca?
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 04:38:00 PM »
Around $13, I think. It goes up every year...

Two is good enough, but like Bjorn said, if you need more than that PLEASE let us know where you're going! One is never too far from a merchant with pig tags, so if you do happen on a sounder with a death-wish, well...

Is it public or private your hunting?
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
And yeah Gregg, though the pigs are invasive, destructive and flat out destroying the lands they inhabit, the Ca. Dept. of Fish and Game seems them as public property and a source of income. $10 used to buy you a pack of tags, now it won't buy you one even though the pig population has exploded! Oh, and ALL game laws apply - no feeders, no traps, daylight only.

Remember the spinach recall a few years back? E-Coli, traced to pigs, in the salad bowl of the USA, and yet one can't go whack the hog population. C-R-A-Z-Y. Seems to me some of the DFG officials need to spend some time in Texas to see what an unchecked hog population can do!  "[dntthnk]"
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 06:29:00 PM »
Pig hunting cost for Resident: $37.00 license and $17.75 Tag.
Non resident: $128.50 license and $59.25 Tag
I am fortunate enough to be able to pay as a resident because I am still active duty military.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline beaver#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
this thread made me realize why i love Texas soo much.
have i not commanded you? be strong and of good courage;be not afraid or discouraged:for the Lord your God is with you where ever you go. joshua 1:9

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
HUMMM i didnt know a out of state tag was 60$, You might want to check around the place you are hunting, it might be worth a trip to Wally World for the second tag.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
Oh yeah, did I mention CA has some STUPID hunting regs?
  :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:    :banghead:

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 07:53:00 PM »
Juan...Juan...Juan...Did I say Poor Jade??? This is the guy I've been telling you about for two weeks or more now! That hike went to your head not just your legs.

Bear Heart is lucky since he's active duty military, as he lined out in his last post.

He and I will be hunting Lake Sonoma for four days next week.

I figure he'll want at least two tags. I'll have one and if my wife joins us she'll have her's too.

I know there are pigs there and have a good idea where to go sit and wait or spot and stalk as well. I've been gathering intelligence and reconning the field lately! I figure weekdays, and shotgun season being over, will bode us well. A lot of persistence and some luck too I hope!

Can't wait to met you Bear Heart. Hope to get you into some pig action.
Pork, Oysters, and Beer...the Holy Trinity (Anthony Bourdain).

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
I checked the forecast.  I thought California was sunny after watching the tourism ads with Clint Eastwood and Arnold.  I guess I will be in my elements, H2O.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 08:00:00 PM »
Beaver..yep...I wouldn't mind having Texas regs here in Kalifornistan. Can't even shoot does for cryin' out loud. I see dry does all the time...nope...can't shoot them.
Pigs as a money making big game animal? Who'd have thought? CA DF&G that's who! When I started chasing them they were 5 tags for $7.50, sold in a handy book, no bag or possesion. Heck, WT or Bjorn, you guys probably remember when you didn't need tags.

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
Yep BH...it's raining much now. One of my other private options is blocked now too...not the ranch I was talking about...my friends are blocked on their mountain south of Lake Sonoma by the high creeks now. I'm fixing to make a beer run for them and meet them at the creek...shoot a line across and send them supplies! (That's a joke...at least for now...there's a funny story about "the last beer on the mountain" from a couple of years ago!

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 08:04:00 PM »
OK, Toby, what's the TradGang rules???   :smileystooges:    Who loves ya, man?

Offline BTH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »
Ah jeez!!! Which of us was running UP the hill? Who was saying...SLOW DOWN? Not this kid.
I may not be in the best shape ever but I do have a low gear ratio...Yes...that's a short joke!
I'm working on Thursday. Good luck out there with Mark. He'll run you into the ground and finish the job we started Saturday.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 08:40:00 PM »
You guys are killing me.  My father used to guide in Colorado and ran his clients ragged up and down the mountains before he learned better.  We went hunting this year and I unintentionally paid him back for the sins of his younger days.  Looking at my energizer bunny of a two year old I know he'll put a hurting on my one day.
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »
Well Bear Heart, you won't have that problem with Toby!! (who's gettin' the last word?) Now whether you'll stay up front when you see the hogs is another matter! Them low gears he's talking about really kick in when the hogs appear. Just keep one notched and stay a click ahead, you'll get a shot!    :D

Nah, Toby would let the guest have first crack! He waited on me to drive over to a sounder once on his uncle's ranch! Heck of a nice gesture but a medivac helicopter scared them off before I got there! I say take the shot while the shootin's good!

Now y'all bring a hog on by and I'll be happy to help you butcher it, so long as we eat a backstrap on the spot! Nothing better than having some grilling while the rest is getting cut off the bone. Beer is usually involved.

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
To have to buy a pig tag???

Next thing you know they be lettin a foreigner
run the place.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©