3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best hard case for bed of pickup?  (Read 404 times)

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
Best hard case for bed of pickup?
« on: February 24, 2009, 12:53:00 PM »
Here's my issue. My older pickup I use for all my hunting trips is a regular cab. Remember those? LOL
Taking a 64" longbow into the cab is a real pain. I'm looking for a hard case that has enough mass that it wouldn't blow out of the bed while driving. I'd put the case across the front seat and lock it if I ever stopped anywhere.

I looked at the BW tube case. How heavy is that? I guess that takes 2 longbows. Other than making one wih heavy PVC, is there any other decent heavy tubes and a decent price for what I'm looking for?

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best hard case for bed of pickup?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
I really like this one:

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Cases+Bow++STD+Longbow+Travel+Case_c43_s193_p0_i5121_product.html

It will take 2 longbows and it has enough weight that I would not think it would go anywhere.  My only problem is it wont fit my 3 piece longbows.  I wish they would make one that is 6" around like the recurve case but the length of the longbow case
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
Mojo,

If you're transporting it unbraced, you could make a pretty good travel case for it with a piece of PVC - either 4" or 6" and two end caps - slide it in its bow sock so it doesn't bounce around - and then use either heavy duty bungee cord or heavy duty velcro to anchor it down in the bed of your truck.  That way if you forget to put it inside when you stop someplace it just looks like you've got some pipe in your truck instead of something actually worth stealing - especially if you leave the part of the PVC you didn't use for the bow in there too.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »
I use a 4"sch 40 PVC tube with one cap glued on and the other without glue or a screw on cap. I have used it for shipping my bows for a Colorado hunt too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline longbow55

• Trad Bowhunter
I always hit where I'm aiming, but rarely where I'm looking.

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 08:32:00 PM »
I've made cases out of 4" PVC for my fly rods.
Virtually unbreakable....mine made it all the way to Diego Garcia with nary a scratch!!!
Would work for bows also.
End cap on one end and screw top on the other.

You could even wrap metal strapping around the case, nail it to  2x4s, and put those in the stake holes and lag bolt it in.
When you want your bow...unscrew the cap.
It would never blow out and it would look like just another tool case, seen plenty of long cases on trucks for long levels, tripods...etc.
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©