3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow repair  (Read 366 times)

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow repair
« on: February 24, 2009, 05:54:00 PM »
I'm going to try and repair my upper limb on my take down recurve. It's splintering just a tad (1/8" deep by 1/8" wide about 10" long) on the outside edge of my limb. It was recommended that I get a 2 part Epoxy called AeroMarine 300/11 to fill In where It's splintering so that's what I'm going to go with. How should I go about sanding the effected spot, what steps should I take? Also what grit sand paper should I use before and after?

Thanks!!

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow repair
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
Steve,

Don't worry about sanding anything before the glue up. Work the epoxy into the splintering as good as you can...use a piece of paper or unwaxed floss to pull it into the tight portion of the splinter.

Cover with wax paper and wrap tightly with electricians tape... at least 2 or three layers.

When the glue is cured, sand smooth with some 180 grit paper and finish with 220. Watch for sharp points or edges when you start sanding.

Apply finish... you could prepare some Massey finish. It's 4 or 5 parts acetone to one part mixed epoxy. Wipe on with a single pass. Let it cure, sand, wipe more until desired finish is achieved.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Schultzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow repair
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Thanks Charlie! :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©