3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas Sweat 2009 - photos & stories  (Read 3159 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Texas Sweat 2009 - photos & stories
« on: February 24, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
I saw there was an update thread started, but I have a bunch of pics and a couple stories and figured we all should be back by now. So here is the TXS09 post hunt report.

I hit the road a week ago Friday and the first leg of my journey was a short hop just over the west coast of Iowa to the home of an avid Bear archery collector. I met this fine fellow through the History/Collecting forum and was invited to come view his stuff. I have a particular interest in the pre fiberglass bows by Grumley and I doubt there is a better collection of early Bear stuff anywhere.

From just after noon to past midnight I was shown through a daydream of 1940-1960 archery history. We only came up once to eat venison chili and clear the fresh snowfall off the drive. There were several cases of osage Grumleys and my host allowed me to measure and photo detail some choice specimens for my education. I plan to try my hand at reproducing and learning from the work of this master bowyer. Here is one part of the Grumley portion of this incredible collection.

I managed to get up early - nothing like a hunting trip to make it easy to rise - and was soon on the road south. It was just above zero and the was a freezing fog to decorate the roadside.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas Sweat 2009 - photos & stories
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
Oh man Shaun you lucky dog!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
There are too damn many states between Iowa and Texas and once you get to the biggest of the lower 48 your are only half way to most hunting spots. I rolled into camp at mid day Sunday and was soon surrounded by like minded souls. Andy (Tradtusker) brought his dad and dang if it looked like the apple had fallen close to the tree - an older scruffier version of the baby faced killer. They had provided camp with a propane indoor campfire that was just the ticket for the cool nights and fire ban drought of west TX.

L-R Andy's dad Allen, Larry, Curtis, Doctor John (MO Sherpa)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »
I did my best to get hero pics of most of the kills, but the pace was fast and the group an experienced bunch. The reports from the few who had arrived early indicated an increased number of javies from last year and hogs moving before dark.

Mel (Irish) wasted no time on the first official hunt day (Monday) as he put down this dog coyote with his Black Widow. A fine stick bow trophy

The days run together and the action was furious. I can't remember which and who, but the pics are in chronological order.

Sweat members feel free to jump in with your own pics and story details anytime...

Curtis is plain poison on hogs. If you have only one arrow and a camp to feed, give it to this guy. He set the pace early in the hunt by bringing down this fine red and black

Don't get in a shooting contest with Andy. He's the kind of guy that has to back up so he won't ruin his nocks. And he does not seem to come apart like some (me) folks under the pressure of a critter in front of him. How about this fine duo?

He did a great campfire rendition of this hunt with some SA accented accounts of the bristled up group of javies that wanted his hide.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Mel got in the javies too and followed up a femoral hit with a couple to the noggin as Andy raised the corrugated tin this fellow had taken refuge under and promptly dropped it as gnashing tusks and puffed up charges followed. It was a bit dicey and Dave and I were there lending moral support and looking for things to climb between shots.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »
Lots more pics to upload. Here's an Odessa sunrise to hold you for now.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
Glad to see you made it home Shaun. Great pics and as always a pleasure sharing camp with you.
hunt it

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Great pics and stories as always Shaun!  Keep em coming - and the rest of you fellows too!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 09:46:00 PM »
Gotta love that indoor campfire pit!  :biglaugh:  
Is that traditional?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ductape

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 09:48:00 PM »
Love it!! Great pics, makes me wish I were there. Hope to go next year if there is room.   :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:      :thumbsup:      :campfire:

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »
Very traditional campfire and well liked by all. Allen not only brought the fire but he knows bow hunting. He took a fine javie boar and had it under the knife before I could catch him for a hero pic. He also had a super digital camera and no doubt will post some high quality pics when he gets caught up on chores.

CK said this was a monster mean old boar with his ears chewed off and face covered with scares from fights to keep his royal position in the herd.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 09:56:00 PM »
well iv just finished dinner

mmm you gotta love that wild Howg Meat

well we had a great trip once again good fun with friends around camp and adventures hunting. i Spent a few days in the Texas hill country after the sweat and she is certainly easyer on the eys then the pumps and plains of Oddesa but it always had its special moments.

As above Mel Shot a great Coyote walk and stalk with his deadly Widow! very impressive that certainly does not happen often for a stick bow hunter   :notworthy:    :clapper:  Congrats again Buddy.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 09:58:00 PM »
MO Sherpa - Doctor John - brought in the only rattler seen on the hunt. I later heard from the local hog dogger Delbert that these were bringing $9/lb and a grand (Yes, $1,000) for over six footers that are used for boots. This five footer was headed to the skillet.

John had seen a BIG pig at the water hole he was hunting - reported to be as tall as the third strand of barb wire. John is hard core and hunted all hours. Here he is trying out one of Curtis' home built night hog light rigs on his Shrew.

He got close, real close, a couple times but never got the clean kill shot angle and held off.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
then to Top it off Shaun Schooled a Fine yote with his trusty Old Bear and decided to cut its education short when it came back for seconds bringing down the second Coyote for the trip! also very impressive and a fine trophy. congrats again!

hows that 2 yote's for a trad camp aint bad going!

Andy Ivy

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Joe,

You need to get those fire places on your inventory list. It was a great gizzmo with a disc for cooking that sat on the steel frame over the fire. It came with a real neat lid that just fastened ontop and kept all intact inside. It would be the cats meow for inside a canvas tent.
hunt it

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
Dave Stinson is great company in camp and took the big pig half of the pool by harvesting the TWO largest pigs taken. Number one

And a couple days later, number two

Both fine boars with some serious chompers.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 10:04:00 PM »
yip John spent the hole night in pursuit of the "big Black One" bringing Robert along for the Adventure who im sure sorely missed his trusty tent heater    :bigsmyl:    :rolleyes:    
he used CK's night hunting rig

Andy Ivy

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »
Robert did not get much hog action early though he later found the javies. To keep sharp he put the smack down on some cotton tails and these were soon in the cooler. He can smile, but after a couple nights keeping up with Doc, he was a little tired.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 10:08:00 PM »
Two yotes with trad gear in one trip. That is quite the acheivment, congrats Mel and Shaun on some fine shootin.  :thumbsup:  

Doc John sure gets the Dedication Award on this trip. He spent his whole week and many a night on watch for this big old black boar that showed himself briefly a few times. I sure was rootin for Doc and was looking forward to the hero shots on that one. But as fate would have it, not this year. He`ll be bigger next year Doc!
hunt it

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 10:13:00 PM »
Last January Charlie Lamb and I stopped by Curtis and Debbie's place for a one night visit. The big Marine has special status with Debbie and she had not only fixed a fine dinner with his favorite cheese cake desert, but had made an extra cheese cake for him to take home. We were a couple hours away the next morning before he remembered it was still back in the freezer - touch and go for a turn around, but we pressed on.

Can you believe that very same cheese cake arrived at the Sweat?

Charlie, I am sure that you will be gratified to learn it did not go to waste...

There was one piece left over... but I ate it for you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©