3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas Sweat 2009 - photos & stories  (Read 3161 times)

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas Sweat 2009 - photos & stories
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 10:16:00 PM »
these pictures and the story lines are just great thanks much for sharing
Make a life, not a living

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 10:17:00 PM »
the day before the Hunt whilst out with Curtis and Mel scouting we ran into a heap of Javi's i decided to spend the first day to chasing them, i had them figured out and all i needed was them to show themselves and i would do the rest.

After a windy and cold first morning the javi's where not moving but i stuck it out. im not much for sitting in blinds so i did plenty of walking covering plenty of ground over the hunt trying to figure out where the pigs where holding up during the day.

After walking many a sand dune i decided to make my way back to the water and dusk approached, wind was not ideal but i thew a quick brush blind together and kept an eye on the water.

then the unmistakable sound of a Javi's surrounded me one of the boar came in from down wind and decided to come take a look at what i was he stood at about 4m grunting and popping at me, whilst i wondered if he was figuring on getting in there with me and how exactly i was going to stop him, i could not think of a option that did would not result in me getting a touch up from this choppers.
After some time he decided i was cool and ran over to the rest of the group that where mingling around the water.

There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »
Back about mid day tomorrow for a bunch more photos and some tall tales. Night all.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
Great start, thanks for sharing Shaun.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
Great thread. Thanks to all for their posts and the photos.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
This is good stuff!Thanks for sharing.
  Leland

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »
Great pics!

I'm not sure what series ov events fits in what order anymore. It all just runs together in a blurr of fun and food and piggies running around. What a great time!!!

Lets see?

This would be "camp comfy" without the pizazz. As Allen said in a quote from his Grandfather, "any fool can be uncomfortable". LOL! I took lots of good ribbing for my white trash trailer but I was warm and the 60 mph wind didn't blow me away.      :readit:          

I think I shot the red sow on day one. Thanks for posting the pic. I didn't get any pics of her. Day two found me on a mid-day trip to the well road where Frank had been staking out. There seemed to be an endless supply of javis there so I slipped in to try out one of Asgir's cool 300 extreems. Luck was with me.
The broadhead worked great.

By day 3 I was strickened with a tad of jealousy by Daves cool landscaped pit blind so I became a gopher and dug in. It only makes sence to use the cover we had so I used the dirt. It worked on group after group o hogs even up to the last night.

Thanks for teaching a hog dog a new trick Dave.     :thumbsup:      Of course it might have cost you half the pot.     :biglaugh:    

I'll try and post before the morning hunt. Good night. CK

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2009, 10:45:00 PM »
Looks like a great hunt for all. Congrats to all the hunters.

Bisch

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2009, 10:47:00 PM »
I'm loving this! Keep 'em coming.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2009, 11:00:00 PM »
Hey Jason, Did you recognize your lights. They work great!!!We'll be using them again tomorrow night. We need to talk soon. CK

Offline Irish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2009, 11:02:00 PM »
This was a great bunch of guys to share a camp and days afield with.  I was able to hunt with Ken, Curtis, Dave, Andy and his dad Allen.  I wished that I could of spent time with all.  Next year Frank, Doc, Shawn, Larry and Roger, I hope to chase some critters with you.  The time in camp was a special as our days hunting.  A little cold at night, I though at times that we were going to loose a couple to frost bite!!    :D     And if anyone is looking for a PH for havies, look no further than Andy - even though he did not protect me from the charge of the "wild boar havie"!
Mel Riley

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2009, 11:05:00 PM »
Those lights on the bow look cool.  Anyone have any close up pictures.  Looks like a Sweat...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Boone the Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
to many great pics to comment on them all, looks like an overall fun and successful time
Love the Lord, love your wife and kids, work hard, hunt harder

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
One more before turning in, got the rest of the good pics uploaded. Too tired to tell a hunting story, but gotta keep Vance happy. Volunteers for super each night. Rob and Ken did fajitas - chicken and pork...

Dave did venison backstraps and sausages with salad, Spanish rice and of desert from Charlie as above.

CK did smoked hog, Doc John did chicken breasts with onion coating, green beans and dressing, Mel did chili, rice and beans from Larry. We ate late, but no one went hungry. Dang it, made myself hungry just thinking about it all, quick snack and off to bed.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 11:12:00 PM »
The light is a tweeked design that Westbrock came up with. He knew I was having trouble with the ones I was using so he used some super-dupr engineering and some tape and I ended up with some awesome gifts. I'll get better pics tomorrow. CK

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
i knew i had plenty of time so i waited it out for a good shot when one of them turned away i raised my bow and put some bend in the limbs of my trusty shrew the shot was good but maybe a few inches higher than i would have liked, he burst out of there but had no idea what happened i saw him go lay down not 30m from where i hit him the others did not know what happened and stayed in sight,

i sat there thinking this is one of the things i love about bowhunting, i shot one and the others don't know what happened.

after a while they where in range again, this time i had a Big 2 blade on i again waited for the right shot...broadside, head down i again started the tension on the string as i drew i told my self make a solid shot, i hit anchor and my arrow locked poised like a snake ready to strike, the string ripped from my fingers and i watched as the arrow blew effortlessly through the vitals, shining red with blood as it lay beyond the animal. the Javi ran 20 yards let out a Roar and fell to the earth, one of his buddys went and sat next to him wondering what was up.

i looked back at the first javi and saw he was still alive i knew i would have to get another arrow in it now that the group where spooked after getting down wind and seeking in i shot him again, the other Javi' were going crazy popping there jaws all around me i had one arrow left and he was still standing so i shot again prob no need but " if they'r still standing... im still shooting"

now i was out of arrows and i knew he was dead, but there where javi's everywhere and they were not happy, 2 of the younger ones where right behind be and way to brave for their size, they looked like 2 puffed of soccer balls with a sharp end that i really didn't want to poke with my trusty shrew but it was either that or feed them some high velocity African leather boot if they got any closer, finally i went for the truly trad, fist sized rock to chased them off.

great fun getting those javi's in that close action.

Andy Ivy

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2009, 11:26:00 PM »
we had plenty to eat!  

i had shot my 2 javi's and after picking up Mel we had 2 come out in the road so i drove back got Ken and they put the stalk on the javi's as i watched over Mels shoulder soon Ken was in range and i got Mel to move in, Ken shot just missing and the Javi took off strait towards Mel roaring and barking until it saw Mel's black widow at full draw in its path.

Andy Ivy

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »

"do you like Snake Skins?" Doc Asks as i stand there wandering why the bag his is holding is rattling    :thumbsup:

Andy Ivy

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by Shaun:

Charlie, I am sure that you will be gratified to learn it did not go to waste...

There was one piece left over... but I ate it for you.
:biglaugh:    :biglaugh:
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2009, 11:32:00 PM »

Andy Ivy

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©