3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Texas Sweat 2009 - photos & stories  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Texas Sweat 2009 - photos & stories
« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »
At sunset the doves come. Every water hole in Texas is surrounded by spent 12 gauge shells. I have never been dove hunting, but Texans feel it an obligation to protect each puddle in their state from these tasty morsels. First there are a few sentry birds in the nearby mesquite.

When they have established the all clear, a swarm descends for an evening drink.

And finally it looks like a skillet hunters dream, though no Texan can wait with a loaded gun for this to happen. They would have blasted the lookouts a half hour before.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
Great pics Shaun! I'm not sure what the kill count ended up being but there was only one day that I didn't have a shot op on huge groups of hogs. I'm become totally enamored with getting everything on film. I captured every group of hogs I saw on film. I even stalked in for a shot, put the camera down to shoot, and then picked it back up to get the hog running away with my arrow. She went down in 60 yards as I continued to roll footage. I got it all. I managed to blow a couple of shots because I was trying too hard to get it all on film. I did get several kills on film inside of 10 yards. It's tough but it can be done.
The best shoot-out was on the last night when I hunted a water hole that I tried repeatedly to get Ken to hunt. He didn't want to sit close to cows at the water hole so I tried it myself. I ended up with at least 40 hogs inside of 10 yards all at once. Boy were they ever noisy. Some got real dead too. LOL! I even kicked a little one as he tried to run up my leg.  :eek:   Thanks for the info Ken!  :thumbsup:   Wish you'd have had an extra day. CK

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: February 25, 2009, 11:37:00 AM »
My chance for the third item of the trifecta came as dark took over just after 7:00. A nice big black boar came in from the west and dipped his snout from the opposite shore. I had set up with a heavier bow and fancy luminok carbon arrow for just this occasion. I made up my mind to wait him out. He would surely come around the pond for some corn and present a 5 yard "hit the side of a barn" shot soon. But as he finished drinking and turned broadside, some demonic force took over and I snap shot cleanly over his back. He trotted up to the ridge and gave serious consideration to coming back, but my silent please for a "Mulligan" went unanswered and he trotted off.

If you are ever driving down I-20 passed Odessa, I doubt you will look over the scrub and oil rigs and think, "Great looking hunting ground. Gotta stop." But you will be missing out on some fine sport as you drive on. I look forward to next time and more sunsets from the blind.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: February 25, 2009, 11:45:00 AM »

DON'T WEAKEN BROTHERS    :notworthy:      :notworthy:  Keep it comin....

A little more FEED would be ENJOYABLE    :goldtooth:      :goldtooth:

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: February 25, 2009, 11:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by Iron Bull:
 DON'T WEAKEN BROTHERS     :notworthy:        :notworthy:   Keep it comin....
LOL!!!   :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:  

"Every one goes back in a bag!"

Awesome hunt guys. It's killing me that I couldn't be there this year. Looks like y'all had a fantasticular time of it.

Loving the songdog pics Shaun.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: February 25, 2009, 12:12:00 PM »
I agree with Rob.  Excellent photos.  One of them just became my wallpaper on the old Laptop.

Marvin

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
Gotta say this is one of the best "photodocumented" hunts of all time. Great job guys. It is REAL good to see Curtis around these parts again dropping hogs and smiling his head off.  :thumbsup:
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
Curtis started the hunt with the first hog and had his eye on the second half of the betting pool for the mostest hogs. With Stinson in control of the big pig, CK waded into a hog herd that last evening and secured his half of the pool (the never-in-question most pigs downed money) with judicious application of his modified Bear Montana.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Jeff,

No helicopters up close this year. I heard one coming one day and I stood up to keep an eye but it was a little one on some other mission.
hunt it

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: February 25, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »
I just checked and found that I have a solid three hours of pure piggy video. I finally took the time to document exactly how I was hunting, lay of the land, blind construction,and how I thought the hogs would approach. It was an awesome experience to have things come together several times making the video more of a how-to documentary ending in kills. I can't wait to add this to the other vids I've been gathering for some 7Th Age DVD's.

I've got one pic that's bound to get some serious looks. Let me find the pic of my monster. Be back shortly. CK

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
As I sat at Ken's water hole on the last evening I managed to video this group of small hogs three times. I found it interesting that they entered the water hole three times without a sow. Finally I realized that the sow must have been killed by another hunter and I felt the young sounder was destined to be coyote food by nightfall. The next time they came in I picked the fattest hog and put a 300 extreem through him lengthwise. Of course they look huge when you sit way behind them.

I didn't see any reason to let the coyotes have him when I knew how delicious the young ones are. I later found that the sow had indeed been shot inadvertly by another hunter.  CK

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Day two was quiet at my waterhole as the wind was all wrong. I did some wandering and spotted a monster big black hog off in the distance. At first I was sure it was a cow but it was no cow. That was one hog I don't think I would have chased without some back up in the form of at least one more person to identify my remains and find em before the yotes!

Day three saw me cruisin roads for havies and I missed one that was so close we'd a had to measure it in inches. Some how for me it's the ones I get too close to that get away! That evening found me back in my hole. Just as the last minutes of light were upon me I heard hogs on the road behind me someplace. The wind being somewhat iffy for my spot, I crept out to the road. Right awat i spotted a big black hog feeding my way and the wind was now in my favour. I ducked down and remained still not 10ft off the road. As the hog fed past I arrowed him at 15ft and it was a perfect shoulder shot. I jumped up and watched him make it 40yrds and flop over. Andy was just down the road and he mentioned he had just walked up my direction a few minutes earlier. I think he sent the big guy my way. Here is pic of this one. And no my eyes aint alway like this! We took the picture in the dark so flash burned me a little.

hunt it

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2009, 01:30:00 PM »
Hey Pop I think those rabbits and that javie was so heavy I was straining to hold them up.   :eek:  
Shaun you did a great job of taking pictures thanks for posting It was a Great hunt I had a blast. Hope to make it next year.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2009, 01:55:00 PM »
no my eyes aint alway like this! We took the picture in the dark so flash burned me a little.

Yea, Right!!!!And the grey looking stuff in my goat is just there because of the right lighting.  :readit:    :biglaugh:

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
:thumbsup:  

Way to go guys!!!  Thanks for taking the time to share it all with us!  Looks like way too much fun!

CK - Put me on the list for some 7th Age DVD's, that sounds like some great footage you got.  I too have started to fall in love with trying to film my hunts, so far it has been a blast!  

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2009, 02:24:00 PM »
way to go buddy! And hey that baby is a lefty!!
Make a life, not a living

Offline BMN

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :clapper:
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society
Prairie Traditional Archers
TGMM Family of the Bow

The most frightening thing you are likely to encounter in nature is yourself.

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
Awesome pics and stories, sorry I missed it. I hope I can come next year.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
I learned a couple of things about hogs at the Sweat this year that I would like to share with any of you that are planning to go on one of these hunts.  

Robert (Son of Texas) and I hunted together and we both put up double bull type blinds on a corned roadway.  The hogs had been hitting the corn on this road before we got there.  After we put up those blinds the corn was still there two days later.  The hogs wouldn't go within a 100 yards of those blinds.  My advice is leave your blinds at home unless you can leave them up for more than a week to let the hogs get accustomed to them.

Third day late in the afternoon I glassed a big boar hog feeding toward the blind.  I was about a mile away.  I hot footed my way through the mesquite to get close enough to stalk this big pig.  The wind had just changed direction as this stalk was beginning.  About the time I was 150 yard from this hog feeding towards me the wind picked up my double blind and carried it across the road.  It was horrible, almost slow motion as that blind tumbled across the road scaring that hog away.  Never saw the hog again.  I folded up the blind and put it in the truck that night, not to be used again.

The other thing is lights.  The first night, well after sundown a big black boarhog came into the waterhole.  I was positioned behind some thorny scrub about 15 yards away, the wind was in my face perfect.  It was dark and I could only see the sillouette of the boar, busy eating the scattered corn on his way to the waterhole.  I could not see to shoot even though he was 15 yards or less from me.  I had attached a fenix flashlight with a red filter to my headband and was accustomed to shooting at night with this light.  I touched the on switch for a nanosecond and the big hog buggered off about 50 yards, unsure of what he had seen.  He fed back towards me and I hit the light again and he was gone for good.  You cannot use a light with these big old boars.  I tried to use one of Curtis's hog lights on the last night but did not have any hogs come in.  Leave your blinds and redbeam lights at home.  

I hunted a lot after sundown and I spent a couple of nights out real late staying out until 4:00 one morning and going out at 4:30 another morning.  These big boars come in at all hours during the night.  I never saw one during the day. You can stalk up on them if they are making some noise, chomping on corn and blowing bubbles in the mud.  I was able to get within 8 yards of one in the middle of the night while he was preoccupied eating and drinking but he was able to skyline me in the pitch black darkness by my shadow cast by the glow of the lights from the refinery 3 miles away. They are touchy about the most minute little noise, real touchy if they get a nosefull of you and they can see movement or light as good as most game I can think of. They are on full alert at the water hole and you will probably have a better chance at drawing on one of these while they are on the trail.    In the future I will rely more on ambush of the hog before they get to the waterhole.  A ghillie suit hides you pretty good in the thorny scrub and if you prepare a good hide where you can draw on them without making noise you probably have a better chance than sitting right on top of them where they go to drink.  

As far as corning roads is concerned, you can put out a lot of corn and there are critters out there that will eat it, all of it.  I didn't figure out until later in the week I need to pare down the size of the area that I corn and make sure I have a good quiet hiding place set up in the middle of the corned area rather than trying to corn a mile of road and stalking Javelina and hogs as they randomly mill about up and down the length of the road.  Need to focus and plan better.  

Treestands.  First I didn't see a substanial tree in our part of west Texas that would hold me up but that did not dissuade me from trying to use one.  I figured that a hog keeps his nose to the ground and has no reason to look up.  That may be true but I spent the better part of 2 days and one night in a cold blowing wind trying to ambush a pig on a well used corned trail.  The corn would always disappear but when?  If I couldn't cast a light on a hog in the dark I couldn't execute this plan.  I abandoned the powerline pole treestand ambush after a couple of days.  I will stick to the ground and a ghillie for a good hide. I will be leaving my treestand at home next trip too.

There is a learning curve on hunting these animals and I made some more progress towards understanding them this year.  I am looking forward to exacting some revenge on them next year.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2009, 06:33:00 PM »
I'm happy to see you sharing these thoughts Doc. I try and try to explain all these details but a good hunter takes some advice and tries it mixed with his own ideas. That's what brings the feelings of success when we've done things our way. Good to know that you went away from the hunt with an expanded knowlege base and greater understanding. Big hogs are big for the same reasons big bucks get big. They are smart and got that way by avoiding death.

The best way to stalk game here is to stalk around them and let them walk into you. If you try and stalk straight in it almost always ends in failure especially in crunchy, sparse terrain. That's the best advice I can give any hunter who wants to spot and stalk here. CK

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©