3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: need your opinion on hunting boots  (Read 1792 times)

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
need your opinion on hunting boots
« on: January 04, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
I'm looking at buying either a pair of rocky 1000 gram thinsulate Bearclaw  boots or a pair of Danner ProngHorn 1000 gram boots. I had a pair of bearclaws that lasted me a couple of years and thats what I'm leaning towards but I've heard alot of good things about the Danners.

Any opinions would be appreciated. thanks,
Darrell
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: need your opinion on hunting boots
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 08:08:00 AM »
I've had bad luck with Rockys wearing out to fast, and good luck with a pair of Danners that have a pile of miles on them and still going strong.  I liked my original Danners so much that last fall I bought a pair of uninsulated Pronghorns fall and used them on an elk hunt.  They are a nice boot, but the tread is just not aggressive enough for the mountains IMO.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 09:42:00 AM »
I think for the price the Pronghorns are a good boot. If you go up to the $250+ range you get a better boot and for that kind of money you SHOULD! I've had my Pronghorns for 2 years and like them fine. Good ankle support, comfortable right out of the box, and the tread is ok for all around hunting. Like Whip says if you are real demanding on the boot in steep and deep mountains I like a more aggressive and more stable sole...but for the average mountain terrain they work good.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 11:39:00 AM »
I have always used LL Bean Maine hunting boots. I don't like insulated boots because my feet sweat to much. When cold weather comes, I use heavy wool socks. The LL Beans are waterproof and the older they get the quieter thay are. I like the tallest ones I can get.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
Pat, you can get the Pronghorns without insulation. That is what I have. I am like you. I would rather add insulation with socks. I just want good waterproof boots. The first year I got them I walked through 2 creeks without a drop coming in. Since then I have hunted in all kinds of weather and the same results.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline flatstick96

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
Whenever this topic comes up I plug my Lowa boots, and I'll go ahead and do it again - I love them.  They are lightweight, comfortable, have great ankle support, keep my feet dry, and have good breathability (whi is nice, since I HATE it when my feet sweat).  They can be relatively expensive, but they don't have to be if you look around.  With the advent of online shopping, I honestly can't remember the last time I paid anywhere near full price for anything...
Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 01:41:00 PM »
I have 3 pairs of Danners for various uses, after years of wearing what I thought were good boots I started working for a sporting goods retailer(not any more) and trying different boots-rockys are ok but the best boots I have had are my Danners- I have the Hood Winter lights, tfx hunter and their snake boot. All have served me very well. Just a side note the Pronghorn(400s) were our best selling boots! The hood winters are made right here in the U.S. the others overseas. You gotta get em your feet to really appreciate them!
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 01:53:00 PM »
When I first get my LL Beans I give them a good workout with Montana Pitch Blend and periodically through the season. This give me good water proofing even above the rubber bottoms. I've been useing them for over 25 years. I like the soft rubber bottoms because they are quiet and the tread doesn't collect mud. Other boots with heavy soles seem to catch and hold mud forever...or at least til I get into the house. lol  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 02:07:00 PM »
Earlier this year I bought a pair of Whitetail Expeditions from Cabelas.  After using them all season I can report they're the best boots I've used or had, to include my Danners...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Steven Mullins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Danners are awesome boots, pricey but you get what you pay for.  I've also tried the Cabela's Pinnacle series, they are my favorite so far.  They are very similar to the Danners.  Good Luck.
"Every boy should have two things, a dog and a bow."

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »
I have a pair of pronghorns...I love them. Best boots I have ever owned.
You can't go wrong with Danner's.
BD

Offline peak98

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 10:17:00 PM »
Thanks for all the helpful comments.... I'm now leaning towards the Danners. Down south, our winters aren't that bad. I just need a waterproof boot that's high on comfort, and low on problems....the 1000 gram insulation is mainly for keeping my feet warm during cold stand hunting days.
peak98

traveling East, in search of more light.

Offline Pete W

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 11:27:00 PM »
We have been reviewing boots for a few years and the Wolverine line has been very impressive. There are a lot of these reviews  for boots on my site in the trad section.at  www.peteward.com

Pete
Share your knowledge and ideas.

Offline Two Arrows

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 01:01:00 AM »
I have a pair of Wolverines that I can vouch for. After years and years of just "getting by" with boots of less money and less quality, I now say, spend the extra money for a good pair of quality boots, you'll be happy you did in the long-run. My feet were always my biggest downfall when hunting,until I bought a pair of 1000 gram Thinsulate Wolverines.

As far as the Rocky brand, I'd never have another pair of Rocky boots even if they were 1/4th the price they are now. Split soles on each and every pair I have ever owned.

I'd recommend spending a little extra on an item that will be the dim or dawn of your hunting adventures, it's paid off for me, and I never used to think that way. Lesson well learned.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JStark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 04:11:00 AM »
If you are going to put down that much money, may I suggest buying an American made boot?  It's good to let companies know that when you want quality, you want something made here, and I think Danner is the way to go, but not the Pronghorns, as they are imported.  A number of their military boots are American made and at least the equal of their imported boots.  
As far as I know (not far at all, and others may chime in here if I'm wrong), Rocky's are imported.
Through education, appreciation;
through appreciation, protection.

Offline foxbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 05:50:00 AM »
The Danner Santiam is a high quality American made boot which will be very hard to beat. I shopped around on the net and found them for #227.90 which did not include shipping. They're the best boot I've ever owned. Do a "search" for Danner Santiam and you'll get plenty to read.
N/A

Offline B.O.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
only the soles are imported for the pronhorns, the uppers are not ( I think)
BD

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 08:55:00 AM »
I bought a pair of Pronghorns and found them to be sized small. Never did get used to them.
My last two pair of boots have been Schnee's. They are about as good as it gets.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©