3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: neck pain/problems??  (Read 266 times)

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
neck pain/problems??
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
hello all,   i know lots has been discussed regarding shoulder problems and shooting but haven't seen much about necks.

sometimes my neck seems to stiffen up when i shoot. there doesn't seem to be a pattern to it, different bows and duration/frequency of shooting doesn't change it much. my form seems pretty good and the draw weight's are all around 48-52#'s which i can handle.

do you think it's from shooting or another something else that shooting just aggravates? does handshock increase neck/shouler pain?

i know you're not all doctors. i did ask a doctor but he doesn't know anything about archery so could only speculate.

any opinions and/or information would be welcome.  thanks!

mike

Offline WOUNDED EAGLE

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: neck pain/problems??
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
Yes hand shock will agravate it some what, I have the same problem. Do some stretching by keeping your head stright looh fwd. take your left arm reach over your head grab your right side of your head then pull your head twd. your left sholder relax your neck musele and strech hold for a few seconds ... then do the same thing on the other side. Repete a few times {Your age and job might have something to do with it,also you might have a bit of arthrits.
Wounded Eagle

Online ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
I have some neck issues also. Doctor said to even out the activity. I'm right handed, he said to do the same amount with the left side, either with a bow or a rubber strap. Both sides need  a balanced work out.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
If I were you I would address the neck pain who cares if its from archery or not get the thing fixed so then you wont have to wonder were its from or whats causeing it.

Offline Matt Stuckey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
There can be a lot going on when it comes to he neck. Posture at work, in the car, when you shoot can all be contributing.  It typically is not just one thing that triggers neck can.  I advise getting it looked at.  Even if it seems tolerable most of the time now, it can be your bodies signal that something is not right.

Matt

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
I agree with ron w. You definitely need to work both sides of the body evenly. After a shooting session, I do bent over rows with a 50# bumbell in my bow hand, trying to duplicate the same motions as I would pulling a bow. If you have access to a weight machine like a bowflex, it is easy to do. Pulling your bow with the opposite hand works the best, but I don't like having to remove my bow quiver everytime after I shoot. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 10:15:00 PM »
Get yourself a good chiropractor and get straightened out. you may have to go back frequently at first, then monthly, then maybe every 3-6 months. You will be surprised at how much better you feel. There are good ones and bad ones too you will know when you get a good one. You will feel good.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 11:44:00 PM »
thanks for all the replies, some good food for thought!

Offline huntinoly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 11:45:00 PM »
I agree with NY Yankee, I would see a Chiropractor and get an evaluation. Hand shock can and does cause arm and shoulder problems. As an archer and a Chiropractor I have seen alot of archers over the years with arm and shoulder problems however it sounds like you have a neck problem also that may or may not be related to archery.

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 12:00:00 AM »
Sorry, I have vehemently disagree with the chiropractor suggestion.!!! They almost paralyzed me. Finally went to a nurosurgeon and found the source of my problems. Too late I might add as I have had three neck surguries and am permenatly partialy disabled.! Don't mess around, go to an orthopedist or a nurosurgy clinic !!! I speak from experience !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck !

Offline huntinoly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2009, 12:48:00 AM »
Ia Hawkeye, I am sorry you had a bad experiance with a Chiropractor. I have been in practic for 25 years and have never seen or heard of some one being paralyzed by a Chiropractor. I work closely with an Othopedist and nerosurgen, it sounds like your Chiropractor did not refer you when he should have. The true is Chiropractic care is safe an effective when used properly. In the case of md126 his condition sound much less sever than yours and Chiropratic care would be the best place to start.

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2009, 12:34:00 PM »
i have spoken with 2 excellent chiropractors and also with a great neurosurgeon friend of mine. they agree that archery could contribute to, or exacerbate, neck problems but it also could be a result of posture, undiagnosed injury, etc..  one thing they both agree on though is that you have to work out BOTH side of the body which some of you suggested and i'm gonna be more conscious of from now on.

i have been to both chiropractors in the past and while they did certainly help it didn't totally cure the problem.

i think working out both sides, especially if you shoot as much as i do, is a good place to start.

thanks again for all the replies!!

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2009, 02:01:00 PM »
Huntinoly,

I had cervical stenosis which had narrowed my spinal cord down to the size of a pencil. All that popping and rotating by the chiropracter could easily have caused paralysis.(according to my nurosurgen) Went to three different chiros and none ever took x-rays. Just pop,crack, twist etc.
Time I got operated on it was too late as I had already sufferd nerve damage to my legs.

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 02:13:00 PM »
i got rid of her.....

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 02:15:00 PM »
i dont have neck problems.My bfrother and dad have had a few.My brother bought a device where you get in it and ir rotates 180 degrees so you are upside down essentially.He then does light exorcises for his neck and back.He uses to decompress essentially and it helps him.

Also a good pillow thats not to fat or to thin is is a good idea.You want to keep things alligned.If you sleep on your side or back you want the neck to be straight not tilted up or down.The neck should be parralel and allingned.not kinked or tilted.

You might get a neck roll to put behind your neck when sitting or driving.That will ease strain.The head is like a bowling ball supported by the neck and muscles and ligaments obviously.Anything to reduce the effect of that weight is gonna relax and ease the tension on your neck.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by huntinoly:
... I have been in practic for 25 years and have never seen or heard of some one being paralyzed by a Chiropractor...
How about vertebral artery disection or stroke?  Won't catch me asking for chiropractor service.

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 02:46:00 PM »
Don't treat the sysmptoms by changing your bow, a etc and you can't drug your way out of neck problems... get to a Chiropractor and get the cause corrected ASAP.

Joe
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
I have also had a damaged disk and two surgeries.  Sometime you need a surgeon or physical therapist to fix problems.  I never believed in chiropractors until I found out about a good one and gave it a try.  My chiropractor has helped me a lot.  A good one can really help when you are just out of line.  Mine provides a lot of stretches and exercises to fix stuff and for maintenance.  He has done me way more good than my GP or PT.  Often he has helped me out of a problem with muscle and trigger point work not just spine manipulation.  He also doesn’t do much bone cracking or major pressure and twisting stuff.  

The neck, shoulders and upper back are all tied together so problems in any one of them can migrate due to tightness and stiffness.  I am having trouble right now.  Mine is from a long lay up this winter with a knee surgery.  I spent too much time doing computer work in the recliner and propped up reading while lying down icing my knee.  I got my upper back all stressed out.  

Not only should you work both arms with pulling bow weight, but I think you need to do a whole upper body general program.  Back, shoulders, and even neck.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©