3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Treestands on Public Land  (Read 511 times)

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
Treestands on Public Land
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
I just finished reading all the replies to the thread about leaving your stand out on public land. I didn't want to hijack the thread but I do have a few issues with some of the things said.

First off I'd like to state clearly that I am opposed to people leaving their stands on public land legal or not. Yes Stealing is stealing and I feel sorry for this guys loss. 2 years in the same spot? Someone might have thought it was abandoned. the GW might have took it down.

I don't like that people leave their stand on public land because common courtesy should go both ways. To me a stand up in a tree tells me I cannot hunt that area. A claim has been made. When I'm out scouting new areas and I find a treestand I think to myself   'oh well, someone else is hunting this area, let me move on because I don't want to mess up what he has going'  . With that in mind I move on and find another stand, so I move on, and on , and on. By the end of the day I have walked countless miles and maybe found 1 or 2 spots free of stands that might have some potential. Is this right? All those areas I found with stands are closed to me that season because I have no way of knowing when they'll be hunted, and it would be wrong of me to venture into those areas in season because I still don't want to mess up anyone's hunt.

Okay I know this has gotten long winded but let's think about this also. Many have implied that they would confront the guy they found in their treestand. Would you still confront and have words with the guy if he climbed "your" tree but with his own stand and set up either just above or below your stand? If yes, does that mean you have a claim to that area because of your stand being there?

If you're gonna reply please just remember this is about   public land I could care less what others do on private land.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Treestands on Public Land
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
If you're going to put up a tree stand on public land, take it down every time you leave. That solves ALL problems that are otherwise caused. Common courtesy, which these days is increasingly uncommon. This land is your land, this land is my land ...

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
Vaughn, that opening day morning when I scaled the ridges at Walpack and saw the guy up in "My Tree" with his tree stand    :eek:    I didn't say a word to him.    :banghead:    Bucky and I just moved on.   :archer:

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
I'm pretty new to this so given that in my opinion one should take their stand when they are done for the day. I thought that was just good common sense and courtesy for others. I don't think anyone has the right to stake clam to any spot over any amount of time that they are not physically there. I'll never have this problem as I can't afford a tree stand nor would the wify go for it!    :jumper:
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 09:29:00 PM »
Public land is public land.  Just because there is an empty stand there doesn't mean that you aren't allowed to hunt there too, just use good hunting sense like watching the wind, etc.  If the stand is occupied, by all means, move on.  Most public ground in IL allows a hunter to leave one stand hanging and many of us do that, and just carry their climbing stuff in.  It saves the time, noise and danger of hanging and pulling a stand in the dark.  It is NOT alright to sit someone else's stand without their OK.  If I catch someone hunting from my stand, I'll not get in a argument about it, I'll just pull the steps and leave.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline pcappy08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »
Personally i have many stands up on public land...use hang ons with ladders made of 2 x 4 so i dont harm trees and its safer than screw in steps i lock them with pad locks to deter people from taking them home but if people find them and sit in them more power to them i hope they have a great hunt....its part of the public land game first come first serve but there is no call for taking or defacing someone elses property
Great Northern Super Ghost
56" 60lbs @ 29"
Morrison Cheyenne
62lbs @ 29"

Offline woodsman196

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
For me I don't mind stands left on public ground. I will hunt right next to a stand that has been left if nobody is hunting the stand when I get there. I WILL NOT hunt in a stand that does not belong to me. Public ground is public. The only way to claim a spot is to be the first person in that spot. All this is based on the fact that in Indiana we cannot bait and hunting an area where a stand was left is not taking advantage of another persons efforts. I will admit I have passed by more stands left on public ground than I have hunted near. Most are not hung in good spots anyway.

Edit: I cannot think of any reason to take down a stand that is on public land. Period. If you take it and it is not yours you stole it. No matter how long it had been there.
"Going to the woods is going home." John Muir

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
I've got a public land stand in a Tamarack in Northern MN that has been there for 10 years.  I doubt anyone has ever found it. Course I'm almost as likely to see a wolf as a deer.  

No, public land stands, especially on waterholes should be removed each day.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:00:00 PM »
As I mentioned on the other thread, using a stand or tape or whatever to 'mark one's spot' on public land, is a big gripe of mine.  I realize leaving the stand there for a while is more convenient and probably more productive for the stand owner and maybe that hunter's intent isn't to mark a spot - others still see them and feel obligated to move on.

This season, I found a good spot next to a deadfall.  I mentioned it to my son who improved the area a bit and used it as a makshift ground blind a couple of times.  A few weeks later, I see a tree stand clamped to a tree about 25 yards from it.  Mind you, we hunt this place quite alot and I never did see another hunter in that stand but from that point on, I'd feel weird (and so would my son) using a perfectly good spot that we located on our own.

I don't know, public land is public and it's irritating to have to choose your spots not based on wind direction or travel corridors, but rather on where the (potentially abandoned) stands are hanging.

Offline josef2424

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »
Ive always wanted to hunt on public land near me, but it sounds very competitive.
Carnivores.....UNITE!!

Offline woodsman196

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by GingivitisKahn:
maybe that hunter's intent isn't to mark a spot - others still see them and feel obligated to move on.
If hunters take their stands down every time they leave and you did not see them (hunters or stands)in the area does that lead you to believe you were the only person to use that spot?

My point is. If the area has good game sign it is either not getting enough pressure to run off the game or the animals are using it at night. If there is good sign you should hunt the area even if there is an empty stand already up. You have no way to know when that person was there last or when they will return. You have as much right to be there as anyone.

Public land is tough. Use the land to best suit your need while being considerate to those already in the woods not the ones you think will be there later.
"Going to the woods is going home." John Muir

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
If it is legal to leave them then I do, but only one stand in an area if I hunt it regularly.  If I am not going to hunt it regularly I take it out.  To reserve a spot to hunt whenever you get around to it is not fair.  However, if you hunt it regularly like several days a week in a row, then I don’t care to have to set up everyday in the dark.    

I do believe that public land is public, and if someone wants to set up close then I can’t say anything if they get there first.  They could be 10’ away from my stand and that is just the way it is on public lands.  I don’t think I reserve the spot.  In the same tree or in my stand?  I don’t think so.  That is just not necessary.  

I understand some people saying you should take your stand out everyday.  However, do you really want to all be stumbling around in the dark in the same spot trying to figure out where you are going to set up because no one knows where everyone is hunting? I have had that happen also.  It is no fun to bump around all morning to never get set up to hunt and mess up several other hunters in the process.  There are some advantages to knowing where people are likely to be.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 11:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Dave2old:
If you're going to put up a tree stand on public land, take it down every time you leave. That solves ALL problems that are otherwise caused. Common courtesy, which these days is increasingly uncommon. This land is your land, this land is my land ...
I agree, well spoken.    :coffee:
Support the sport!

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 06:33:00 AM »
Originally posted by Dave2old:
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline bowzonly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 09:12:00 AM »
Deadsmple, When I first started reading your post I was thinking, man this guy can't even begin to understand what its like to hunt on crowded public land.  I live in the most densely populated corridor in the most densely populated state in the nation.  Every time I scout on public land near my home I find about 6 treestands, a couple of spent arrows, and a bunch of empty scent bottles.  Then I got to the end of your post and found out you were from N.J. and I realized YOU DO UNDERSTAND!

Offline 3blades

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
My 4yr old tells me from time to tome "Daddy you are not sharing!" Food for thought for all of us....
60's Bear Cub    45#@28"
Samick Stingray  50#@28"
Hickory self bow 55#@28"
HH Big 5 Longbow 65#@28"
Bears paw T/D LB 75#@28"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2009, 09:54:00 AM »
I quit leaving stands on public land long ago, because they get stolen. I have to put locks on my stands on parts of my own family's property for the same reason. I've even had them stolen with a log chain and heavy-duty lock on them.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Originally posted by xtrema312:

In the same tree or in my stand?  I don’t think so.  That is just not necessary.  

This is my point, if I were in that same tree you had put your stand but using my own stand you are implying that I've done something wrong. I got there first this day. I've scouted the area just like you and have and found that this is the best tree to be in. Even though I had gotten out there before you, you are implying that you have some sort of claim since your stand is there already. Mind you I would never do this, but hey think about it.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
I agree with pretty much all of the above. In some of the places where I hunt, there may only be one tree at a funnel that gives you the proper concealment and is appropriate for the prevailing wind.  Public land is public.

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
I only own one stand.  Leaving it is not an option.  Sit IN anothers stand on public land I don't think so. Setting up near an empty stand sure. Public land yea can't claim it with your stand or tape, first in first claim. Tomorrows another day.  Steal someones stand.  NO NEED NO WAY.  I've hunted crowed public land. Most days I see more hunters than deer!  +++on Dave2olds comment!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©