3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what do you consider to be a good group at 20m for med/big game  (Read 711 times)

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what do you consider to be a good group at 20m for med/big game
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2009, 08:03:00 AM »
I like shooting so groups save on walking. :)

I find shooting 300 rounds in the yard give a good gauge of what we can and can't do when the one shot pops up.You shoot 60 arrows and average them out and most every time you will shoot in that range on other targets as well.The guys I consider good hunting shots and all round shooters will average somewhere around 240 and up.A 240 is about a 6" group.Shooting groups just refines form and that is what it takes to make any shot.The first or the last.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »
i realise the first shot is the only one that counts in a hunting situation. it's the 1000 tight groups you shot before that gives you the confidence to make that shot. at the moment 10m is about it for me then, sometimes.  :(
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 09:47:00 AM »
I'd like think you would be able to hit a grapefruit,but for most a soccer ball is more real world. Except for small game, that will kill most game that we all hunt.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 10:05:00 AM »
I agree that the first shot is the one that tells you where you are at.  The next 100 help get you to the level that you want to be.  I think that it has been touched on but I will give my 2 cents.  If you shoot the same target at the same distance and angle all the time you will get very good at that shot, however it might not translate into other shots.  The only way to get good at having your brain do all the math it needs to is give it multiple problems ie: shooting different distance/targets/angles/elevation and so on.  Walking in the woods and blasting things near and far will do that.  

So I agree first shot counts but you need to shoot a lot to get good. Thats just what I think though.

Allan

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Groups are OK; but don't mean much for hunting. Roving and stumping are my fav forms of practice; one arrow at a time-sometimes two.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
I like to hit within a couple of inches of where I picked at ranges under 20 and I'd say several inches at ranges over 20 whether shooting one or more arrows.  I find I do a little better shooting one arrow with a judo point at stuff on the ground at any range though.  Maybe I focus more.

I recently covered all of my targets with burlap so I'm shooting blank bales and find it really makes you concentrate hard and accuracy seems to improve.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline unclewhit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »
I've decided that a soft ball sized group is what I strive for, for anything under 20 yards. In my mind a paper plate sized group is too lineint(sp).
unclewhit
Bob lee signature series
Schafer Silvertip
Howard Hill "Tembo"

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2009, 10:22:00 AM »
i agree with chigar 4inch groups consistenly or its too far
Make a life, not a living

Offline Col

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 10:48:00 AM »
Another perspective:

When you know to pass on a shot, you know you're there.

Understanding one's limitations and all that jazz.  

IMO, knowing when to pass is more important.  That whole thing with respecting your prey begins there; I'd rather a good shot to a bad ending any day!
Shooting with feeling since 1976 & luvin' every minute of it.

Thanks Dad!

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 11:42:00 AM »
Where are you guys with the 4" and smaller groups at during 3ds and other shooting events/Out shooting stumps?  ;)  Sure we all pile a group of arrow together tight enough to knock a few nocks off at times.I don't consider that any kind of average.Just a good round or two.Before long in this thread we will see some guys averaging 2" or so.They never show up at 3ds either.  :biglaugh:
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2009, 11:43:00 AM »
Here how I do it.  5 inch plate. Shoot only one arrow from each position. Example. 15yard broadside, 20 yard quartering, 30 kneeling........ If you can keep you arrows from everywhere inside your limited in the plate you will have extreme confidence at the moment of truth.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
i'm with you james. to be able to shoot 4" groups at 20m all the time, that masters of the barebow stuff. i can't do it over and over at 10m yet let alone twice that. i've only been shooting for a year so you could probably tell me to go jump.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2009, 02:39:00 PM »
Where you feel confident is all that matters.  I think the rest is trying to improve to where you feel comfortable at longer distances.  I like shooting groups because it does let you become consistant.  I find the more that I shoot groups, the better my one shot groups and first arrow of the day improve.  I also like stump shooting and find that the best for estimating distances(for me).  Stump shooting really improved my confidence.  May try that golf ball thing.  Good luck with your shooting.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
I shoot groups mainly to make sure my arrows are all shooting the same, looking for all arrows to be within a 4-6" circle at 15 yards. Any "fliers" are marked, to see if they shoot differently from the rest, or if it was just me.

For hunting practice, I'll put judo points on a couple and go roving. I just walk woods trails and shoot at leaves, sticks, mushrooms, or anything else that catches my eye, all at random distances from 5 to 45 yards. You learn quickly how far you can shoot and make a killing shot, and in the context of a hunting scene.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
20 yards...i rarely shoot groups I normally shoot one arrow at each target (i have an array of them) then collect them and change distances

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
My goal is 2" spot at 20 yards. With this being a GOAL i am always trying to get better so i can do it. At least once or twice a day i do stack 3 arrows in the 2" spot so i know i can and it reinforces my drive to do so every time.

I heard Byron Fergeson say once that the spot you aim at to hit a asprin is the same size spot you aim at to hit a water melon. I also heard the gentleman that shoots the shotgun for Benelli ( i cant remember his name) say the same thing.

I shoot groups to reinforce form so there is no thought prosses during the moment of truth on a big hog. I shoot as many 3D shoots as i can, 7 to 9 a year, to practice at unknown distance on animal size and shape targets. I will also practice awkward postion shots one arrow at a time.

I also practice at 30,40 and 50 yards though i will never take a shot like that in a hunting situation, i love to watch the arrows fly.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2009, 05:50:00 PM »
I think six inches CONSISTENTLY is very good with a stickbow; I haven't seen many people who can do that time after time with multiple arrows.  Consistent 8" groups will kill deer sized game all day long.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2009, 06:07:00 PM »
4" regardless of the range with simulated hunting shots during practice.  4" will grow when shooting at an animal, in the cold, wind etc.  That has always been my rule and it has not failed me.  Under ideal hunting shot conditions I will allow 6” accuracy range shots after making sure everything is right for the shot.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2009, 11:21:00 PM »
Still hunting for squirrels is actually the best pre-deer season prep. I have ever experienced. You will be shooting at live targets, at various distances and angles.  I use cheap arrows w/bright 5 1/2" bananna cut, to aid finding my arrow after missed "up in the tree shots"  I find most of the misses--often a 100yds off. I never try to retrieve them right away, rather I just continue to still hunt in the direction of flight. Often they are 100yds + down range and I may not get there for 1/2 hr or more, but no matter.  After hunting squirrel like this for a few weeks, makes nailing deer seems ridiculously simple.  Actually I have come to enjoy the squirrel hunting more than the deer.  You see more of the game you seek, you get more shots, and it is super challenging-- Also, the antics and aerobotics of squirrels is high entertainment, and they make for some good eating too!

Offline Steel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
I normally shoot stuffed animals(toys)around the yard at unmarked ranges with blunts. These are normally small maybe 4 or 5 inchs in size. I really like those stuff hedge hogs they are the perfect size and look. My dog gets mad sometimes that am shooting all her chew toys but its great pratice and has a real hunting look/feel to the pratice vs a target or hay bale.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©