3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2 blade magnus vs single bevel grizzly  (Read 160 times)

Offline first year hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
2 blade magnus vs single bevel grizzly
« on: February 25, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
i want to get some new broad heads for my new arrows but i dont know which one are better

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: 2 blade magnus vs single bevel grizzly
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 11:25:00 PM »
I like the Grizzley broadheads over the magnus heads because IMHO:

1. Although Grizzleys are more difficult and time consuming to sharpen to a scarey hair popping edge due to the hardness of the steel used to manufacture the Grizzley, once you get them sharp they hold an edge longer and better and do not require as much touching up after putting them in and out of the foam of your quiver. I start off useing a bastard file to get the angle I like and then turn to my KME knife sharpner, then stroped on a piece of leather or a piece of cardboard.

2. The Grizzley broadhead is a much tougher head than the Magnus. I have bent quite a few magnus heads and have even had 2 come apart after hitting something hard. I have yet to bend and or break a Grizzley broadhead.

3. I like the 3:1 ratio of the Grizzleys.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
although i haven't used a grizzly that's what i voted for. i have bent a number of magnus II.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »
Ozy,

An interesting trend has begun to show up in my testing. I can't say why but, it appears that almost any single bevel head will hold it's edge far longer than a double bevel. I posted a while back about Grizzlies and the tough steel when I couldn't dull a sharpened Grizzly by cutting into a solid aluminum block repeatedly. Since then I've tried the same thing with Tuskers, Abowyers, and Steelforce single bevels with similar results. Like I said, can't give you the scientific reason for this but it's a very interesting phenomenon.

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©