3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Leather finish question  (Read 218 times)

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
Leather finish question
« on: February 26, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
I have done a few leather projects now and was wondering what you guy's use for a finish. I have finished mine with Fiebings dye and then used neatsfoot oil to protect it. I was just wondering if there is an advantage to using the super sheen? Or if any of you have any other ideas, pro's and con's that would be great.
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Leather finish question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
I use and have used both.  It normally depends on what the item is going to be used for.  I also like shoe cote waterproofing very well.  I used it on the last couple of sheaths I built.  

The Super sheen is more like a clear coat that goes over the leather, the neetsfoot oil and the shoe cote inpregnate the leather and are a better choice for items that will see a lot of outdoor use in my opinion.  YMMV.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Henry Hammer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Thank you for the tips CC these items are armguards and hip quivers so far. But I am going to be doing some sheaths, holsters and slings etc.
"No man's opinion is any better than his background, his experience and his general common sense." Jack O' Connor

Offline autobows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 01:07:00 PM »
I used "Workzone" SaddleSoap for a cleaner/preservative followed by "Workzone" WeatherProofer to condition and waterproof. I bought it at TSC (or Quality Farm and Fleet).
I used it on a new pair of expensive leather shoes.  It worked great...softened the leather plus water actually beads up on top of them.  I'm sure it could be used for various other applications.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
I owned a custom leather shop in Savannah, many years ago, and I always used mink oil on leather as a preservative and Feibing's Resoline(?) as the finish coat(acrylic top coating). Neatsfoot oil has silicon in it and it will clog the pores of the leather and will eventually cause the leather to rot.
  Now all I use is Montana Pitch Blend on all my leather goods. MPB is a mixture of mink oil, bees wax and pine pitch and is an excellent leather treatment.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Quill Flinger

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
For me it depends on the leather. Garment leather I treat differently than saddle leather. If you're using neatsfoot oil then it's likely saddle leather.

For saddle leather, it now depends on the function of the item...laffs. For harnesses, outdoor belts & such exposed to the weather regularily, the best thing I've found is Cocoline. I've seen English harnesses over 150 years old in perfect condition that were always treated with it. It's been around awhile. It will darken the leather some however & acts as a waterproof.

As Pat says, do not use a silicon product as it does not really penetrate but remains on the surface not allowing the leather to "breathe" properly. In a damp climate siliconed leather will rot, in a dry climate it will harden & crack.

For a home made type thing you can just add waxes to pure neatsfoot, or mink, or other similar oil with a little heat. The more wax you use, the greater the sheen. Some waxes produce a higher sheen than others, thought difficult to see any difference after a time really. The neatsfoot oil I get doesn't have any silicon, must cost a penny more so we don't get it up here in Canada....LOL.
<~ TGMM Family of the Bow ~<<<

Offline jhinaz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
+1 for Montana Pitch Blend.   :thumbsup:   - John

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
I just made a Quiver for my son. I dyed it with Fiebings Dye, polished it then used Montana Pitch Blend to finish it off with! Turned out great!    :thumbsup:
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline pete Darby @ home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
I use atom bomb, or super sheene normally.  I find it doesn't change the color any like some of the soak in finishes.  If the leather goes agains my clothes I use several layers of super sheene since it totally isolates the dyed leather from my sweaty clothes.
Peter Darby

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
Another thumbs up for Montana Pitch Blend......All natural, no petroleum products to stink!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©