3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Shakespeare on the rocks  (Read 181 times)

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
Shakespeare on the rocks
« on: February 26, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »
Shakespeare Necedah that is.  The rock pile makes my shoulders hurt.  These were picked to clear fields for the small farms that settled these mountain sides back in the early 1800's.  This area is now State Game Lands....if it could only talk.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Shakespeare on the rocks
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 06:10:00 PM »
Very nice George. I love the stone walls...to think of all the work that went into them.

Nice looking Shakespeare too, I have one...an X-18. Great little bow.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 07:32:00 PM »
George... In my early twenties, I was walking our local field course alone. A couple of guys caught up with me at the last target which was the eighty yard walk up (we hadn't "walked up" yet).

I guess I must have looked like I knew what I was doing because one of the guys held out his bow and asked what I thought of it. It was a Shakespeare Necedah. I told him I thought it looked like a nice bow and he offered to let me shoot it.

Not wanting to offend, I took one of his arrows and bent that little bow to full draw. The arrow slipped away and the end of it's long arcing trajectory was in the very center of the standard field round target.

I handed it back to him and said, "yep. Real nice". I got out of there real quick to have a very private and well deserved heart attack.
  :D  

They are a little short for me but real good shooters.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Dave Worden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:41:00 PM »
Nice bow, George; great picture.  I shoot a Super Necedah that my wife bought for me in 1971.  Love those Shakespeares.  The wall and Charlie's mention of the field course reminds me of the 60 yd shot on our course the has the remains of a stone wall and two of my broken arrows just behind the target.  Unlike Charlie, I missed the bulleye, and the 4 ring, and the 3 ring, and the target, and the butt, but I sure nailed that pile of stones!!!
"If I was afraid of a challenge, I'd put sights on my bow!"

Offline smoke1953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:07:00 PM »
The Necedah was my first bow and The Necedah Refuge is where I do much of my hunting. Nice picture George.

Offline Stinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2009, 09:22:00 PM »
Great picture.  I still have the Necedah that I had when I was 15.  I took my first deer with that bow.  It's funny, now at 55 I find it hard to pull and tough to shoot well.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Nice little bows.  I wish they hadn't designed em with that pancake-flat shelf, but a little leather and contact cement fixes that right up.

We grow rocks here in Missouri.  If you keep your eyes open, you will find low stone walls all over.  They weren't built to keep anything out or in, that's just the way you waste the least arable ground without having to cart every rock outta the field.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 07:08:00 PM »
Stone walls are all over Virginia. My folks told me that most of them were built by slaves. They would walk across the field and pick up as many rocks as they could, and dump them on the other side. Then walk back.

They are good places to stop and take a long think.
The WMA where I do my catch and release squirrel hunting is full of them.

Killdeer
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©