3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowhunting packs  (Read 622 times)

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowhunting packs
« on: February 27, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
How many of you use the new style fanny packs with the shoulder straps on them?  Do you like them and recommend them?  Thanks!

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowhunting packs
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 11:36:00 AM »
I know guys that use them all the time. I used to use one till I started using a Cat II Quiver. IMO it's more comfortable to wear than a fanny pack.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
I use one for some of my hunting, and I have a pretty good line of packs on my Prairie Traditions website.  

The Blacks Creek All American pack is very nice, and I have those listed on my site and in stock.  I also have the Blacks Creek Kodiak pack in stock but it isn't pictured on the website.  I bought some to use as a show special at Kalamazoo.  

In addition, I carry Badlands and Eberlestock.  Badlands Monster pack is a good one and Eberlestock's Slingshot pack are a couple to look at.  Both of those I would have to special order for you, but I do have access to the full line of products for any of those manufacturers and could save you a few bucks.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline woodsman196

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 12:21:00 PM »
I have an old Black's Creek pack. I think it is the Grizzly. I really like it. I can carry all the things I need for a day or it expands out to a medium sized day pack so I can load it up with layers of clothing to put on when I get on stand after a long walk in. The straps on the outside allow me to carry a fold up seat cushion or even a full sized jacket. Last season I slammed the tailgate of my truck on one of the buckles for the waist belt. Of coarse it broke. I emailed Blacks Creek to see if I could buy a new buckle and they sent an new one out right away. At no charge. I don't see me wearing this pack out soon but when I need a new one I know where I will look.
"Going to the woods is going home." John Muir

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 12:37:00 PM »
I use this style pack and really like how low it rides but keep the weight where I want it.  I use the Nimrod packs and they have a bunch that are interchangeable depending on what type of hunting I am doing.  I really like them for a day to muti day hunts.  Check them out  nimrodpacks.com

Check it out they have been great for me.
Allan

Offline Chris C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
In my experience there is no finer day pack made than the First Trip Explorer by Bison Gear.  It's designed to hunt.  Silent, well built and comfortable.  It took many years trying other packs before I invested in this one and am glad that I did.  

Also, Bison Gear's customer service is first rate with the best warranty in the business, period.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
I used a cat quiver for years and it just was not enough. Then,  trying to combine the cat quiver with another pack was way uncomfortable. I recently picked up a badlands pack and I think it will be the one for me after many trial with other packs over the years.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline CrazyBuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 01:59:00 PM »
Check out the thread "My new quiver pack". You might find what your looking for. It really is awesome stuff.

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »
I like my catVI, but there are modifications I'd like to make; having an hydration bladder and fleece tube would be nice, and the arrows aren't easy to put back into the quiver. I'd recommend it "conditionally", though.  It's comfortable, access is good, it's quiet, and carries what I need for an all-day stillhunt.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 03:05:00 PM »
Thanks guys.  I've used the same old day pack for years but these look much more comfortable and even more room.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
I just bought The Cabelas Transporter pack for myself for X-mas and so far I like it. As said above, I like where it rides as opposed to a daypack. I don't think I'll be able to use it when the temps are cold because I stuff a lot of extra clothes in my daypack that won't fit in the fanny pack. For turkey hunting and general scouting/early bow season, I think it will be great.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline longbowjim

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 06:21:00 PM »
I personally love my Bison Gear pack.  It is a little bigger than a fanny pack, but small enough that you don't even know it is there.  My pack is so old that is still has the Pack Idaho patch on it.  It is small enough to take into the back 40, but big enough to survive for a night or two in the mountains lost.  I rarely enter the woods, even when stump shooting, without it.  JD

Offline Rooselk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
I use a Catquiver II. The material is ASAT fleece. I also purchased the matching CatQuiver Hip/waist strap accessory, which attaches to the quiver and gives me extra storage pockets, a water bottle pocket, etc. It works great.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters • Traditional Bowhunters of Montana • Montana Bowhunters Association

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
Bison Gear for me.  Small enough for a day hunt, big enough for an overnighter, tough enough to pack an elk quarter.  The shoulder straps make all the difference when there is a load in the pack.

Offline wahoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
pack Idaho - Ok I am aging myself , Bison packs. I have had mine for at least 12yrs and it is still in great shape and has been on some great hunts. Ck em out

Offline tim roberts

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
Picked up a Nimrod pack last year and am going to give it a try this year!
Tim

TGMM Family of the Bow

I guess if we run into the bear that is making these tracks, we oughta just get off the trail.......He seems to like it!  
My good friend Rudy Bonser, while hunting elk up Indian Creek.

Offline Chris C.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 08:25:00 PM »
Wahoo, I too have a Pack Idaho First Trip Explorer and have hunted with it almost as long as you have!  It's hunted with me throughout the Rocky Mountain states, the desert Southwest and the Pacific Northwest and I'm sold on the design.

After the '08 late deer season, I returned it to Bison Gear for a zipper repair.  Put it in the mail on Monday, had it back in hand THE SAME WEEK on Friday, NO CHARGE!  They replaced the entire zipper and the workmanship is incredible and the quality of the new zipper is first class.

Guys, I'm sold on solid value and customer service.  I'll pay to get what it takes to get both.

Bison Gear/Pack Idaho delivers.

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
I love my Bison Gear First Trip Explorer also. One of the best investments I ever made. Great, well built pack.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
i'm a bison gear man too.  We tried a lot of packs including some we designed and built ourselves.  the Bison Gear pack exceeds expectations.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 12:16:00 AM »
FYI. . . I do not see these listed on this site much. . . certainly want you to work with our sponsors when possible.  But "Bruzergear"- based out of Utah- a little less known in the midwest.  I sure have been impressed with their products and prices.  Made by hunters.  Life-time guarantee etc.  Might check them out.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©