3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you practice getting into "kill mode"  (Read 1134 times)

Offline allan f

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you practice getting into "kill mode"
« on: February 27, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
So there is that moment when you see an animal and you decide that you want to shoot it.  At this point my mind starts racing and I am thinking a million thoughts about where they are, and shot angles and all of that........but there comes a point when it gets really deathly quiet inside my head and then I make a kill shot.

OR

I go to shoot and my mind won't shut up and I flub it and miss.

What I want to know is how do I train to get into that mode where NOTHING could break my focus and all I can do is kill the animal infront of me.

Just want to know what you guys do to overcome this mental hurdle.
Thanks,
Allan

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you practice getting into "kill mode"
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »
SMALL GAME.   BILL

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
To be honest , nothing compares to real world experience on game :0) Drew
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Dartwick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:17:00 PM »
Most people I have watched while hunting with them(gun hunting usually, archery works better alone) have no problem at all focusing totally on the animal.

It seems to come natural. If anything it takes practice to expand your focus. New hunters can be rather dangerous because in the heat of the moment they are often oblivious to other people.

But what mess you up is emotions. The focus goes hand in hand with excitment.

Youl find you are better are better when you have the most control of yourself and the most perspective. But I think killing stuff(or trying to) is the only  way to practice controling yourself.
Wherever you went - here you are.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Well Grasshopper, stop thinking, thats where it all goes wrong. If you think about it your brain will talk you out of it.

It's one of those things that comes with practice/years I believe. Once you've taken enough game, you get excited and the rush hits you after the shot. Before this point it hits you before the shot. Not sure if there is any other way to explain it in my case. Nor is there a magic number of when this occurs. I know when you don't get excited at all then it's time to take up sky divin or bunjee jumpin.

You could always try drinkin alot of Red Bull, wearin a loin cloth and listening to Native Indian Flute music prior to going hunting.    :goldtooth:
hunt it

Offline 44charlie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
spend alot of off season in the woodsshooting and watching deer. i kill alot of deer with my "invisible bow" when just walking in the woods! hunt chipmunks,woodchucks and carp.

also be in control of the hunt. don't think you have to hurry up and shoot. shoot when you're ready not him forcing you. you'll have to pass up some shots doing this but you won't regret it.

good luck

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
When the time comes and you deside your going ot shoot.If you shoot instintive you should only think of one thing anr thats your spot.
  Next what I think helps is to only shoot at deer targets.This burns that fourm into your brain.Far better than shooting at dots.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline sidebuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 06:25:00 PM »
You don't want to get too calm.  If you were super calm when you make your shot and you are no longer excited IMO it's time to hang it up.  No more thrill.  Getting some excitement and thrill right before your shoot is what it's all about.

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
Well Grasshopper, stop thinking, thats where it all goes wrong. If you think about it your brain will talk you out of it.

Shazam! That's it! Preparation IS a state of mind. Hunting and killing is simple instinct. Killing takes no practice. Staying centered and calm does take practice but that practice only takes place at the moment of truth. Quit thinking and let go. CK

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »
Like Drew said nothing beats real time experience, but for me two things help. First mentally practice taking an animal while you are shooting in the back yard, you can make it seem so real with practice you can almost smell the deer, hear the leaves crunch when the deer steps, you get the idea. Second like in golf I stick to my routine, focusing on the spot while executing your shot routine you have practiced many many times helps me keep focused. If I can focus on the shot it helps quiet the mind/body from the adrenaline surge. All comes with proper practice and experience.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline TradPaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
Like others have said, Pick that little itty bitty spot, that one hair that just sticks out. Seriously think of nothing else, just that spot. While your doing that All other thoughts will quiet down, and you will be able to do what you have practiced......Well, at least thats how it should go  :bigsmyl:  

P.
"Dont let whats good, steal you away from whats best"

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 07:16:00 PM »
Stop thinking.  When an animal comes in and I decide your the one.  Stop looking at horns or anything.  Just wait for the shot.  The whole time I am "there" watch my spot and wait for my chance.  That's where my mind stays, course once the arra leaves.  It's like letting go of a balloon full of air!
Semper Fi

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 07:19:00 PM »
When that time comes you shouldn't have to think about anything. It should all be mechanical. That's where all the practice comes into play.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 07:46:00 PM »
every time i see a game animal i feel the preditory instinct. granted , as strange as it sounds some people are just natural born killers. the reason why i say this is some people are able to shut off the emotion part .  kinda like flipping a switch. others really have to focus on the task at hand. sorry not much science behind it but thats just the way life is
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline broketooth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 07:51:00 PM »
oh, by the way , what i said was a personal observation and an phylisafical opinion , not ment to ruffle any feathers or raise any ethical questions or motives
" you have done well to keep your hair when so many are after it"

Offline Paul WA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »
Around August I shoot apples off my dogs' head...PR
"I'm a trophy hunter till something else comes along"

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 08:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Littlefeather:

Shazam! That's it! Preparation IS a state of mind. Hunting and killing is simple instinct. Killing takes no practice. Staying centered and calm does take practice but that practice only takes place at the moment of truth. Quit thinking and let go. CK [/b]
Holy Crap!! Thats it..Said perfectly. I just have to learn to do it! Missed a 10 yard shot at a buck that had NO idea I was there  :knothead:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Landshark160

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 08:08:00 PM »
You have to get yourself accustomed to shooting under pressure.  Nothing beats actually taking shots at critters, but shooting in tournaments is the next best thing.  If you don't feel any pressure shooting with your buddies, try to shoot with a group of people you don't know(and hopefully with people who are good shots).
Chris
>>>>--------------->

The benefits of a big broadhead are most evident when things go wrong. - CTS

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2009, 08:34:00 PM »
With me, its funny. If a deer is in close that I have no intention of shooting, I'm calm as can be. But then sometimes that little light goes on that says "take it". Its only a natural occurance that the heart rate and breathing will pick up as the body kicks in the autonomic nervous system, releasing adrenaline into the bloodstream.

At this point, we either control it, or it controls us. I watch the body language of the deer. If its jumpy, I relax as the chance of a shot are getting slim. I wait until it relaxes, and work on slowing my breathing. I will close my eyes and take a cleansing breath or two. Or three.

I focus on the spot, and plan for when the angle is right. I breath slow and deep. I look ahead to plan where the animal will be when I strike. Or where he is likely going to be.

I put enough tension on the bowstring to move maybe an inch, allth while burning a hole in the hair I want to hit with my eyes. I play the shot through my minds eye, seeing my arrow arc to the spot, and my arrow disappearing.

When the time comes, I always whisper a silent prayer- Lord- all I ask for is a clean kill, or a clean miss. Then my arrow is gone.....

The real adrenaline rush is held back, but it hits me hard after the shot. Which is fine, I have plenty of time to wait for it to pass before taking up the trail, or searching for my arrow.

I can be quite sure that the mountain lion, the wolf, the bear , any other predator, will have the same adrenaline release prior to striking at their prey. Its a natural reaction, and is desireable in that it provides us that ability to hone our focus on the task at hand. Its how we harness it that makes the difference.

I well remember sitting with my son a few years back as he took his first shot at a deer with his Bear recurve. The adrenaline had him shaking, panting and sweating. I could see him battle to regain control. His eyes narrowed as he picked his spot,but alas his arrow eventually did miss the mark. afterwards, he told me he felt his heart was about to come out his shirt.
I welcomed him to bowhunting with a hug and a pat on the back and told him- you will learn to control it, or it will control you. When you gain control, that arrow will be where it should be. He's still workin on it, but it sure is fun to watch.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2009, 08:36:00 PM »
I stand hunt mostly and in fairly close cover.  I go into kill mode as soon as I see an animal most times.  All the thinking is done to set up for the encounter and while setting around with nothing in site. Most of my thinking and questioning happens after the encounter when I am analyzing everything that happened.  When it happens I am all about focusing on killing even when it is not in range yet or the shot is not right yet.  The only time I break focus is when it hangs up out of range and I realize there will be no shot.  That is when the jitters can set in and my mind starts to jump around.  As soon as I think the animal is moving so a shot is a possibility I just go auto pilot again.  Often the shot just happens, and I hardly recall taking it because I am so focused.  I think it is just from years of shooting stuff.  It was not always that way.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©