3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hogs from a pop up blind  (Read 343 times)

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hogs from a pop up blind
« on: February 27, 2009, 05:26:00 PM »
Has anyone tried  popups for wild hogs. Going to Texas next week and thinking about taking one. Just wondering how they react, anyone tried it? Charles Suttles

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hogs from a pop up blind
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »
I have not had any experience doing it, but check out what Missouri Sherpa had to say on the matter.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=071137;p=6
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
I've seen a wide variation in what some hogs will and will not tolerate from one place to another. I actually recently saw "stupid" hogs for the first time in my life. They let me stand there and shine a flashlight on them. The first 12,000 hogs would not let me do that.

Here's the deal, I see and hear someone all the time telling of an event happening with hogs that I feel is simply unheard of. Just goes to show you that no matter how much a guy knows, there is always something that he doesn't. I can tell you first hand that I've seen very few hogs that would ollerate a pop-up blind without being totally alarmed by it's presence. Now I'm sure there will be dozens of guys who went hog hunting once upon a time that had a blind work. Maybe they do but I simply quit trying after so mant times of having them circle the blind to smell what it was. Yes, I too have shot them from a pop-up but I consider those times to be luck of the draw. I'd most advise asking your Outfitter. There is no man on his ranches than know more than he does. Trust your Outfitter!!!!If he is worth a damn he'll be doing everything in his power to share his knowlege so that you don't have to suffer through the learning curve that he has already suffered through for you. Use what nature gives you, don't enter a new place and start spraying scents and baits that they aren't used to, and most of all go very slow and don't try and rush anything. It'll come together and you'll be posting pics here when you return. Good luck on your hunt. CK

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 06:45:00 PM »
My experiences mirror ol CK's. If you can leave it up for a week or so, they tend to get used to it but I've had bunches of hogs come near my Matrix during turkey season, They don't like it!!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
I guess we have a different kind of hog here on Guam. I have hunted out of my matrix a bunch and never had a hog spook cause it was there. I have also just used a piece of camo burlap tied between two trees with good success. But I would listen to Curtis and Biggie on this, cause they know a heck of a bunch more about hogs than I do.Plus I mostly spot and stalk now. More fun.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline Steve71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 08:17:00 PM »
I believe it depends on how much presure the hogs have had .If these hogs get shot at all the time you will never know they where around if you hunt from a popup.I feel if you can set up a popup you can make a brush blind and you are less likely to spoke them from a good brush blind.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
The FL hogs I've hunted didn't like it at all. But it wasn't brushed in at all either...
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:03:00 PM »
Hogs are like deer.  If you hunt from a popup you'd better be covered up.  Brush them in until you can't see em and the hogs will not care.  Leave em naked and you will be a lonely fella.

If a place is hunted hard, do not hunt the areas the outfitter has his blinds.  The hogs know them and will avoid the area.  Hunt areas away from the permenant stations and you will find success.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline charles suttles

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 09:14:00 PM »
If Biggie would just let me borrow that "Ruff&Tuff" sneaky cart that won't stay charged, I bet I could drive right up to um. Everbody makes me think they react pretty much the same as deer. Thanks guys! Charles

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
As biggie said hogs do not like change and bringing in a blind is change.  Took over 2 weeks for hogs to get used to a platform I installed. Now they can not care less.

But then again some hogs just do not care whats going on..
FAST FORWARD TO ABOUT 1min and watch

Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 06:14:00 AM »
Not all hogs are created equal.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 11:34:00 AM »
Ive hunted out of them, and they do get spooky and alarmed,I was watching that hair stand up of a boar once , well thats was something close up and personal , that hog knew something wasnt right  :)  .But the blind was there for a good while...ps if ya brush em in that works best for me...  :thumbsup:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline RightTrailWrongTime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 03:19:00 PM »
I used my DB Matrix down in Oklahoma recently with pretty good luck although I did have a few that came through and stopped dead looking right at the blind, some kept right on going while two other times I had as many as 20-25 er so hogs at 12 - 18 yards. On day two one of them took an arrow and piled up in under 40 yards. I used the blind just as I have for turkeys with the main window open just enough to shoot through without having to shoot through the mesh. I also had several deer come through, one ate right out of the protein feeder at 18 yards, nervous but still came in. The other older wiser deer stayed clear- I figured they had played that game before! I had a boar at about 12 yards looking dead at me grunting pissed, he knew something was up but still came into range. I guess it depends on where you're at and pressure and the points made up above, I would take it and give it a shot. Stalking was next to impossible for us since there was still crunchy snow on the ground so I'm glad I took the blind along.
ONLY IN THE WOODS AND FIELDS DO I FEEL ALIVE, LIKE A HUNTER FROM TIMES PAST, ALTHOUGH THE HISS OF MY ARROW GOES FORTH, I AM TAKEN BACK, IT IS MY ESCAPE...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©