3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Abowyers... Ashby... KME  (Read 874 times)

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
Abowyers... Ashby... KME
« on: February 27, 2009, 07:11:00 PM »
I dont see anything on Ron's site about pre sharpened heads, but have heard rumblings? Ron?

I may have missed it, but what has the good Doc said about the Abowyer heads? Are they worth the Xtra $$ over the Grizzlies? they sure look good! I'm looking at that big, 1 1/2 incher that is 2 3/8 long. I know it doesn't have the ME that the El Grande has, but I like the bigger hole its gonna make..

Anyone have good/bad to tell about the new Abowyer Single Bevs???

Thanks,

Ernie

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Abowyers... Ashby... KME
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 07:12:00 PM »
I am looking at them hard and I'm a WW man.  I think they have a future in my hog arsenal.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »
I'm diggin' the whitetails myself.May just stop the procrastinating and just buy em already.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline mlmealey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
I will be using the Brown Bear in Africa in July there a quality head produced by a GREAT guy
IBA life member
PBS regular member
Compton TB member

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
Ron told me he was impressed with the Abowyer heads. Good enough for me. I'm looking at the Brown Bear model.
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
Just contact Ron, he will give you instructions on how to get the heads to him. I have some 190s I been meaning to drop in the mail.

J
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
I have some Brown Bears. Haven't hunted them yet but they are easy to sharpen with the KME or just by hand. All I'm using are stones, files are not needed. They appear VERY stout
DonD

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 10:24:00 PM »
Good News! Thanks!

Offline Dmaxshawn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2009, 10:35:00 PM »
Im still in the holding pattern will have a whitetail model nocked tomorrow afternoon.  Now all I need is a pig to step out.

Shawn

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
If I  were to buy a 2 blade broadhead, it would be one of Larry's heads.  Just picking one up, you can see and feel the quality in them.  Precision made with fine steel.  He almost has me moved to the dark side...

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 10:51:00 PM »
Larry is a smart guy and good fellow to boot.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Call Ron.  I just received a pack of RW Single bevel Tuskers from Ron today and they look great.  I'm usually a do it yourself guy but having the initial metal taken down saves me days.  You Can't beat his service.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Deadsmple

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
If I remember correctly, Ashby had some good things to say about the Abowyers original design(bonehead?) early on when he was still including mechanicals in his testing. In fact that was why I had originally started messing with the Abowyers.
All praise is the Lords

"to get to heaven, turn right and stay straight"

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
They are an awesome head! Even Ed agrees on this. I've shot them and wouldn't think twice about shooting them again. I had great results on some I was testing. Only one catastrophic failure. On steep angle away shots they demonstrate a bad skip angle. This means that the rear cutting edge contacts flesh before the tip due to the short design and algle of blade pitch. I opened a goat like a zipper skipping down the ribs. I hate to say something like this based on one shot failure. I think it can easily be considered unlucky or a fluke to base any broadhead selection based on only one animal. There are simply too many variables to base something on one shot. Fact of the matter is that I probably shouldn't have taken such a steep angle away shot but I did. Other than that one failure I don't think you could tear one up or make one fail on ordinary bone under ordinary conditions. They are a good head with the time tested single bevel design. I'd say to give them a serious look and decide for yourself in real conditions. Good luck. CK

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
I'm gonna order some of the Large Boneheads... to lessen the "skip" effect... the Brown Bear would be the trick... I think...

Thanks all...

E

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 10:18:00 AM »
Just looking at the photos and reading the specs, definitely the Brown Bear is closest to Ashby's MA specs. If that design came in a 250-grain or so I'd give it a try for sure.

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »
I have some Wapiti's and they look fantastic. They sharpen hair poppin' sharp too.. The Wapiti and a 125 steel adapter make for 305 up front. Should be like a run-a-way freight train !!!

I'm also going to try some Javelinas when they get some rt.wings in stock...

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »
I just recently purchased a collectors "set", one each of all seven.  I have checked them all out severely, but have not shot any of them.  I think they are   very   well   put together and I am planning on getting a set to shoot soon.  The heads I got were sharp,  but need touching up before they are hunted.   I was impressed with them.
ChuckC

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 11:12:00 AM »
I got 18 of the Brown Bears for my son and me to use on Hogs and Elk this year. They are strong and super sharp right out of the package.
Have not killed anything with them yet.

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
Elk hunters...

Whatchya think? A well tuned arrow of 550 ish grains at 190-200 fps...

Is the Large Bonehead too little ME?? I KNOW the brown bear is ideal for penetration..but if the big 1 1/2 inch bonehead would work....that is what I'd go for in a heartbeat...

Ive been using 160 Grizz with 100 grain adapter and not feeling undergunned.. If I was going to use a 1 1/8 head...id just stick with the grizzly...

Ernie

E

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©