3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for light and stiff arrows  (Read 376 times)

Offline laughing turtle

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for light and stiff arrows
« on: February 27, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
I want the lightest weight and stiffest carbon arrow i can find for my continuing FOC experiments.  Something like the weight of a soda straw with the spine of a 5575 would be ideal.  I have only focused on 8-10gpi arrows in the past and don't know where to start the search.  Any help?

Offline TomMcDonald

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for light and stiff arrows
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:14:00 PM »
Try carbon force.

Offline pucci

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »
The heaviest size Easton ACE would work.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Carbon Tech Cheetah

.400=6.4 Gpi
.300=7.9 Gpi

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 10:34:00 PM »
You might look at Easton Lightspeeds,lightweight axis style shafts.Some other light stiff carbons are AD Nitro's,tapered carbon can give a EFOC easily.

Offline CJC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:49:00 AM »
there is no such thing!!!

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
Me too! LOL  It's funny, some years ago we hated carbon arrows cause they typically made an arrow too light for our liking. Then a few manufactures started making arrows in the 8-12gpi range...Now I want some of those light but stiff shafts. It's not too hard to get high FOC's in shafts weighing 700+ grains but those are getting excessive for bows in the 40-50# range. Some of the target shafts might work but tend to be expensive.

I had some 35-55 Super Carbon Hunters laying around, I think Beman made them. They are 5/16" diameter and static spine 60# and are about 7gpi. With an 8" internal foot, 29" shaft length, 100gr brass insert, 4" fletch, aluminum adapter, with a 125gr head, they have an FOC of 27% and weigh 500 grains! A fellow might be able to find some of these on **** or stuck in the corner of some archery shops....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
I'll second the Carbontech Cheetah 3Ds. I used to use them as cheap target arrows for indoors shooting (well, cheap compared to the X10 Pro-Tours I also used) 6.2 GPI in the 45/70 spine makes for a unbelievably light arrow. The trade-off, however, is that they're really quite fragile & will absolutey not hold up to a hard impact. Stumpshoot at your peril!   :readit:
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
Robtattoo, "The trade-off, however, is that they're really quite fragile & will absolutey not hold up to a hard impact. Stumpshoot at your peril!"

See the "perfect arrow" thread, it'll take care of the fragile problem...O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 02:00:00 PM »
GT Entradas in the 300 spine are 8.5gns.They are among the lightest of the cheap shafts in heavy spines at about $55.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline wihill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
Originally posted by robtattoo:
I'll second the Carbontech Cheetah 3Ds. I used to use them as cheap target arrows for indoors shooting (well, cheap compared to the X10 Pro-Tours I also used) 6.2 GPI in the 45/70 spine makes for a unbelievably light arrow. The trade-off, however, is that they're really quite fragile & will absolutey not hold up to a hard impact. Stumpshoot at your peril!    :readit:  
Yep, I've shot the CT Cheetah's for 3D for a while, but Rob's right on the money.  I've never had such a brittle arrow before.  Any glancing shot on them would result in a cracked shaft, usually at the nock point.  I'd definately recommend footing both ends if you're going to use them.

Another good option would be the Easton Lightspeeds, GT Ultralights, and the Xweave series from PSE.
Support the sport!

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 03:23:00 PM »
I've been shooting Gold Tip Ultrlight Entrada 600. They are 5.7 gpp. With a 100 grain insert @ 29" and 3 fletch 250 grain head they come out to 540 grains and a whoppin 30% FOC. They too are kind of fragile I'm thinkin of the "perfect arrow" preperation.
I have broken 3 of these on hits that I wouldn't expect them to and lost one on a hog. 15 yard shot right in the shield only got 3" penetration and she broke right at the skin, never found the hog.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »
I can't imagine shooting 350gns on the front of a 600 spined carbon cut 29"! You must shoot mighty low bow weights.

Offline Bob Morrison

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
GT 500 Ultralights w/ 300 gr. points total 525gr. I'm shooting 46# @ 26" arrows are 27" They fly great. I'm not sure if I'll hunt with them but I have a few months to play with them.

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by James Wrenn:
I can't imagine shooting 350gns on the front of a 600 spined carbon cut 29"! You must shoot mighty low bow weights.
I agree.  That sounds mighty underspined and could easily account for the damage and lack of penetration.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 05:22:00 PM »
Yeah I would be afraid to shoot it myself.Might blow comeing off the bow.

Offline shortstroke 91

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
I'm shooting 45# @ my draw length on a Quinn Stallion Classic recurve. I thought they'd be way underspined to but they bareshaft great and hit right where my field points and broadheads do.
shortstroke 91
TBOT Life Member

"BLOOD MAKES THE GRASS GROW"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©