3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: SLAP Tear  (Read 319 times)

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
SLAP Tear
« on: February 28, 2009, 07:26:00 PM »
I was just wondering if anyone else here has torn the labrum in their shoulder.  Did you arm ever get stuck?  Doc said that could happen.  Recovery time if you finally had surgery?  I know there have been other shoulder topics posted but I didn't want to hijack with this specific issue.  It has already caused me to only be able to set draw with anything over 50# without risking pain.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Missouri CK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: SLAP Tear
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
I'm a Physical Therapist and have done the rehab for several patients with SLAP tears.  A lot of time you can get by without surgery although you'll have to be really careful what you do and to what extent you push the arm.  It's not like they every really heal but just arn't screaming inflammed.

If your going to get it fixed this is definately the time to do it. You would be back shooting in time for the fall hunting season.  Although you will hear stories of guys shooting in much less time I think it would be risky to try to shoot again for at least 4 months after the surgery.  It takes a long time to build back the strength necessary to control the joint well enough that you don't just put more stress on the labrum and tear it again.

Just my two cents

Chris
Life ain't a dress rehearsal.

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 09:36:00 PM »
had the surgery. Wouldn't recomend it for anyone, if you can avoid it.It took me several months to recover from the surgery.Actually never did get back to where it was. I lost range of motion from what I had
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Matt Stuckey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »
If you took MRIs of all high level overhead athletes, you would find that many of them have a SLAP tear and never new it.  What I mean by this is,  many people are able to function well with this injury.  On the other hand, it can be a debilitating injury for others.  Let your situation guide what you do.  The recovery from surgery may seem like a long period, but if you are doing more damage with an unstable humeral head, the long term implications may be much worse.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 10:39:00 AM »
I had the surgery.  I think my ortho referred to is as a slap lesion.  I had it done arthroscopically in '99 and it was a complete success.  I also had a type III bone spur in that shoulder debrieded at the same time.

That shoulder is now a LOT better than it was (and better than the one not operated on).

Apparently, my story isn't so typical..but my experience was wonderful.  I had surgery on a Friday in CLT, NC and went back to Charleston, SC (drove myself) on Sunday.  Never missed a day of work.  

Although it was too quick.....I played softball less than a month after my surgery.

Good luck.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
I had two tears in my labrum, along with several other shoulder injuries, that were surgically "corrected" 3 years ago. The idea that an orthopedic surgeon will ever make you as good as you were before an injury is a myth, unless you were born defective. I am much better than before surgery, but my shoulder will never be too great. Surgery may be the best solution, but it is never a good solution. Good luck.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 12:16:00 PM »
I had one of those MRIs where they put fluid into the joint first.  Doc said I tore the labrum in three places.  I am only 27 and don't really dig getting surgery this early.  This isn't a new injury just didn't know what it was that was hurting before.  I probably started tearing it up about 12 years ago from wrestling and haven't slowed down yet.
If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.   :knothead:
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Surgery may be the best solution, but it is never a good solution.  
My experience couldn't be further from this.  I got to a point I couldn't sleep at night.....and something HAD to be done.  My only regret is I didn't have the surgery, sooner.  My shoulder is better than my college baseball days, now.....and I'm 44.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
Chris, I am a PT. in Maryland were are you from?  BILL

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 02:47:00 PM »
Originally posted by GMMAT:

Surgery may be the best solution, but it is never a good solution.  
My experience couldn't be further from this.  I got to a point I couldn't sleep at night.....and something HAD to be done.  My only regret is I didn't have the surgery, sooner.  My shoulder is better than my college baseball days, now.....and I'm 44. [/b]
Yes, my shoulder is better than before surgery, but certainly not better than before my injuries. My point is that the "Six Million Dollar Man" who is made "better, stronger, faster" (those of you who are old enough to remember that TV show know what I am talking about) is a total myth. No one should ever want to have a situation where he needs surgery. That is what I mean by surgery not being a good solution even though it may be the best solution if there is an injury. My shoulder is better than it was 20 years ago too, but it was a whole lot better 30 years ago than it is today, and without the sports injuries I have had (like some guys' baseball injuries), it would still be in good condition, just like my knees are in great condition today when my friends who got injured in football are barely able to walk, even following surgery. The reason for my statement was to keep expectations lower for the ultimate result after many people have been told that surgery can make joints "as good as new", a comment I have heard many times from orthopedic surgeons. I am not against surgery, and probably will have to get it on my other shoulder, I just want people to be realistic in their expectations. Besides, the pain and recovery associated with the surgery and rehabilitation are unpleasant at best.

I am glad I had the opportunity to have surgery at the hands of a very skilled surgeon who is also a friend of mine. Furthermore, I am happy whenever surgery is successful for others, especially fellow TradGangers!   :thumbsup:  

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 04:35:00 PM »
Allan...

Part of th eproblem I had is the fact that I had the bone spurs.  No amount of rest or relaxation would have made them impinge less, BUT it certainly contributed to the lesion.  I'd have probably had to have the surgery, later in life, anyway.  I still expect to have it on my other shoulder (I know the spurs aren't shoulder-specific).

I understand our precautionary message, but mine would be....Don't put off too long what might help you NOW.  I regret waiting as long as I did.  Cortizone shots aren't any icnic, either....and I probably endured 8-10 of them.  I haven't had or needed one, since my surgery.

I was in my mid-late 30's when I had mine done, though (and did PT every day for 6 weeks).....and admit my results might not be typical.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 05:40:00 PM »
Yup, had both my shoulders done, best decision I ever made. I have one of the best shoulder docs. in the country though. I was told I would be 8 weeks before I could start shooting even light weight. I was shooting 35-40#s in just shy of a month and my normal weight 52-55#s in 6 weeks. I had tears and plenty of bone spurs removed as well as a bunch of arthritis.  I will agree my shoulders will never be as good as they were before the injury, but they are darn close. Shawn
Shawn

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©