3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If I wanted to elk hunt...  (Read 1869 times)

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
If I wanted to elk hunt...
« on: February 28, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Whats the best way for a guy like me to get out west and chase elk? It has always been a dream hunt of mine, and I figure it is time to start making some dreams come true.
Budget would be as cheap as possible, looking for a ideas reflecting a DIY type hunt. Im looking for stuff like OTC tags, public access, packing lists, advice and anything else that would be a help.
What state(s)? Set up(s)?

Basically I want those of you that hunt elk regularly to clue me in...because sometime in the next few years, Im gonna make it happen.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Gaff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If I wanted to elk hunt...
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
i'll be watching this one closely. i think the drive out there would make up about 1/3 the total cost. so i think ya should recruite some of your fellow northeasterners to share the expences.... that would save some bucks!! hint hint..nudge nudge  lol

gaff
----------------->>>>>>>
Jamie

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:25:00 PM »
There are a couple states OTC. Utah, CO, and ID left over tags. The best way to get out here is ask some folks. Usually you will find a few each year willing to take guys on a hunt. You have to put a lot of miles on generally to find the elk, so if oyou can hook up with someone, it will greatly increase your odds of success. And success to me is getting "into" elk, not necisarily(sp?) killing one. When you get closer to going, give me a holler, if you don't mind hunting cows and spikes. Good luck, elk huntin is a ball!!
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline Bucksnort101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 10:37:00 PM »
Colorado is probably the cheapest choice for an Elk Tag, although it's still pretty spendy. I suggest going to the Colorado DOW site and getting the regs. I hunt in area 33, which is a draw only area, have never not been drawn though.
$549 for a either sex tag, if you put in for a drawing the deadline to send payment is April 7th if I remember correctly.

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
There are a alot of options you can do to hunt elk. Outfitters that offer drop camps will pack you into good hunting country, and will have a camp set up for you. Once they drop you off, your on your own, wlthough some will leave a radio with you for check in or to have them come pack out your elk. They are $1-2,000 depending on the outfitter. This allows you a little more in gear weight. Call around and check references.

Another option is trying to hire someone to pack you in with your own camp gear. Again, research here is key, finding a packer in the area you want to hunt instead of hunting an area just because there is someone in the area who will do it.

For a DIY hunt,here are some estimates on costs for Colorado. If you are thinking of a different state, adjust accordingly.

For me from home in Michigan, we're talking about a 1600 miles each way. I'd guess from your area 2000 miles or so. You can figure your gas, food and coffee expenses from that.

The best thing about a DIY hunt is you can hunt as long as you want, vs. a typical 5-7 day hunt if you do a drop camp, or guided hunt with an outfitter. I personally prefer a minimum of 7-8 days, 2 weeks being great. If you can do it, take the whole archery season off.

Depending on how much you like to eat, figure food, and of course any personal gear you may want to take.

For me, based on $2.00 gallon gas, $500 for gas, $500 for tags, $250 for meat locker to process an elk if I get one, and food costs which vary.

The last time I went i flew out because it was a lot cheaper than driving. I had friends pick me up and drive to the ranch.

I'll PM you a suggestion for an outfitter thathas some great options.

But total cost for a DIY hunt can be around $1500-2,000. The memories of hunting elk in the beauty of the Rocky Mountains is priceless.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline Gehrke145

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
1000 door to door is a start.  Did my first elk hunt with pillow cases for meat and a large fanny pack lol.  Sometimes I wonder why I by a new frame pack every year and all this extra junk.  Shoot me a pm and I can get you some info to get you going in my neck of the woods.

Offline troutremble

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
Colorado has the most elk and therefore more over the counter opportunities on public land than anywhere else. There are literaly hundreds of good spots to hunt that have decent access, good elk numbers, and can be hunted on a budget. Either sex tags are about $500 but cow only tags are only $250 and are OTC. Colorado DOW has game maps that tell where elk summer, migration routes, and wintering areas so with a little research you can find a great place to hunt. Also check your prospective area out on Google Earth to get a feel for the terrain. As for equipment, anything over a 50# bow with proper arrow setup will easily get the job done. Make sure you are in as good of shape as possible, elk cover a lot of ground and it is mostly steep and high. If your hunting close to a road or off your atv you probaly wont see any elk. Plan on walking in a couple of miles every day from your truck or backpack in to a more remote area for the best chance at being successful. Learn to use a cow call and stay away from bugling your head off all day long. I saw over 100 elk this year in 14 days of hunting with OTC tags on easily accessed national forest land, so what are you waiting for.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 11:24:00 PM »
I would be interested in a cow tag!!

One question to add, does Colorado have problems with other guides pushing elk onto their property off public land? I had friends who went to Montana and their hunt got screwed up from that happening.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 11:40:00 PM »
Working on that very same idea, Jamie...
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 01:42:00 AM »
you can hunt elk in oregon and shoot a bull or cow in most of the units although some of them are bull only...you can go to the oregon dept of fish and wildlife and request the regulations and they will send you one.over the counter license and tag around 350.00 for both. if you do end up picking oregon i can help you out with your packing list and areas that are very productive.keep in mind that the success rate in most states for archery elk is around 15% i myself have been blessed with 80% success   :readit:  ..lol.. if you want to have a good shot at bagging an elk you should do what i did when i first started shooting a bow and thats rent all of the elk hunting videos you can and get your elk calls and practice with them until you are an elk calling machine,the videos hold a wealth of information on calling techniques,when and when not to call,what signs to look for and a myriad of info.thats what i did and my first year out i felt like i had been hunting them in the rut for 10 years.just remember that every mistake is one you'll learn from. pm me if you want my help....larry    :campfire:
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 01:54:00 AM »
and as stated bugling is not the answer to getting a bull in every time.i generally use the bugle to locate then move in and cow call.but on occasion you will get the bull that wants the bugle and thats when it gets exciting.colorado is a great choice also (largest herd) and montana,wyoming and idaho are all good states also
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline arrowit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 02:30:00 AM »
If you do pick Idaho, you might want to go to central or southern part of the state. I live in noth Idaho and the wolves have done a number on the herd up here. And central and southern part are a bit more open and not so brushy and might help your chances IMHO.

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 03:26:00 AM »
wolf season

Offline griz#1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
ishiwannabe,
It's alot cheaper than you think, last September I went to Oregon round trip air, rental car, hotel, hunting license and tag on a DIY hunt and back home for less than $1,000.00. Need anything else, pm me.
If you cut up your wife's french leather purse to make a tab, does that make you a redneck?

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 11:07:00 AM »
Wow guys, this is awesome stuff....keep it coming.

Gaff, Chris....stop smirking. We might need to do this...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
Jamie, all ya have to do is talk to me. I have a bud that does colorado every year. The whole 2 weeks including getting there, costs around $900. This is taking two trucks and 8 or 9 guys. Ya have to call me for other details. Also to everyone else reading this thread, do not bombard me with questions, this is a closed hunt limited to a select few. Thanks! Shawn
Shawn

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 11:31:00 AM »
I am keeping that in mind Shawn, but I figured I would plan MULTIPLE trips. I hear it is addicting...  :D
                         -Jamie

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
I did my first DIY elk hunt this past fall in CO. Definitely addicting!  I hope to be able to head to IDaho this fall if things work out with the work situation.  Much of the cost will depend on how you choose to hunt...backpacking, drop camp, shallow entry, etc and which state you go to.  Excluding pricey items like binoculars, car, etc that can be used yearly, I would estimate my hunt at around $1600-1800. This includes the OTC bull/cow tag, tent, stove, food, arrows, topos, etc.   That's with about a $500 gas bill which with todays gas prices would now be less than half that.  I did it solo, but you can save a good deal on gas and some on gear if you go with other guys.  Keep on your research.  It's a blast!  Matt

ps. If you really do have a chance at this hunt, take it.  Too many guys say "someday" and never make it happen.  Make the plans now and buy your tag.  This way you will surely make it a priority.  You won't regret it!
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 08:50:00 PM »
Anyone else?...I know the are hard core elk hunters lurking about...

Any other locals thinking about it???
                         -Jamie

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 09:19:00 PM »
Lets see, last year I left TN the 3rd of August for CO and came home the 25th of September. I stayed 4 nights at a KOA cabin on the drive to/from. I bought nearly a thousand dollars worth of hunting/fishing licenses(habitats,annual fishing,hunting,either-sex/cow elk tags. I drove over 3,000 miles inside CO once I got there. I camped the entire time in the free Nat'l Forest or BLM lands. I ate at local restaurants approximately 8 times,used a public laundromat 3 times during my trip. 3 grocery shopping trips to Walmart,1 refill on a 20 lb. propane bulk tank-20 dollar storage fee for my small "expedition" trailer so I wouldn't have to drag it around before hunting started, $10.00 dollar haircut and she let me keep my strung recurve in her barber shop until I needed it,$4.00 worth of quarters for weekly drinking water fillups- the rest was money for fuel. I came home and went through my receipts- $2,748.00 best I could tell. That was me solo-no shared expenses. Best time in the world and pretty darn cheap...... in fact,I plan on repeating it again this year except another area of CO.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©