3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If I wanted to elk hunt...  (Read 1872 times)

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If I wanted to elk hunt...
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2009, 11:22:00 AM »
Ishi,

There has been some good advice given here and surely, a lot to consider.  So I really don't have much else to add.  BUT........I do have some opinions about a few things, based on experience, that I would like to share with you for your consideration.

One thing that is hard to wrap your brain around when you are pouring over topos in your living room in NY, or in my case, Texas, is the sheer size of the country inwhich you'll be hunting.  It is very daunting.  And with that in mind it is very possible, after all your hard research, to hunt for a week and not see a fresh track much less an actual elk.  

I've been elk hunting for 25 years and I've done it every which way there is.  Group hunts, DIY packin, guided and drop camps.  My suggestion to you would be to strongly consider doing a drop camp.  It's the next best thing to using a guide because, hopefully, if the outfitter that hauls you in is worth a darn they are going to put you in the middle of elk country.  They can give you tips and point you in the right direction to get you started.......the rest is up to you.

I may be wrong but I sometimes sense an undertone in some of the elk hunting advice given that if you don't do a DIY hunt you're not a real man or a real hunter.  Now....if you want to tag along with an experienced elk hunter....great!  Do it.  But if that doesn't work out.....go with an outfitter.  It will be money well spent in the long run.  There seems to be a miss conception about having a guide or having a guide haul you in.  That you're guaranteed and elk.  WRONG!!  Couldn't be farther from the truth.  It's still hard work and hard hunting.  But...you can learn in one week spent with a guide what it would take you years to figure out on your own.  Guys like you and I don't have the luxury or time of being able to scout out an area to hunt.  Or at least I don't.  That's where an outfitter can help.  And you can do a drop camp very reasonbly.

Also.....elk hunting is not a group activity.  In my opinion, more than 4 hunters in camp is too many!!!  Two is best!!!  And make sure that if you do use an outfitter and go the drop camp route that they limit the number of camps in a particular area to one camp....ONLY!!!  I looked into doing a drop camp in a area I used to hunt about 10 years ago whereby we were the only camp.  Well the ownership has changed and the new guy running the outfit is putting 4 drop camps in the same area that we use to hunt out of 1 camp.  That just won't do!!!!!

Too many people is too many people.  A great spot can get screwed up real quick when there are two many guys tromping around.  The elk can move over 2 or 3 drainages and you won't figure it out until it's too late.

And one last thing......spend the extra money to get an either sex tag.  In my personal experience, I've had way more close encounters with bulls than with cows.

Good luck!!

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2009, 11:53:00 AM »
Jamie, I've been thinking about this for a while now too.  My brother moving to CO last year pretty much set my destination.  Now he's getting to know the areas I'm hoping to hunt.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Str8Arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2009, 11:57:00 AM »
I go from New York to Colorado every couple years on a DIY hunt. With 3 guys per truck, costs can be budgeted as follows:

$550 - license
$250 - gas (better plan on a least $3 gallon)I was on an elk hunt when Katrina went through. Gas was $2.20/gal when we went in. It was $3.25 gallon when we came out.

Food - who cares, you gotta eat even if you don't go.
$100 - gift for the wife, or I'd better not come back.
$250 - Elk processing and you gotta plan on getting an elk.
$100 - incidentals

It's going to cost you at least $1000-$1200 on a DIY hunt. I consider it a deal.

By the time you've done this 3 or 4 times, you'll have your favorite areas well known and you'll get a lot more quality hunting in, rather than looking for the prime spots.

I enjoy this hunt more than any other - have fun, you'll love it.

Offline Firstarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2009, 12:09:00 PM »
... success to me is getting "into" elk, not necisarily(sp?) killing one. When you get closer to going, give me a holler, if you don't mind hunting cows and spikes. Good luck, elk huntin is a ball!! [/QB]
As steadman said getting into elk is a ton of fun but doesn't necessarily mean you are going to kill one.

We have the PBS youth coming out the first week of the Utah Hunt, then the next two weeks we plan on doing some wandering around chasin' some spikes & cows.
Being first, making a mark and being part of
something great!
Rich

May you keep the wind to your nose, have the patience of Job, and have your Firstarrow fly true.

Offline Intuit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
I'll add my 2cents here as I have been a few times and done it three different ways.

1ST TRIP - Outfitter on public land with horses in Colorado was probably the worst experience of any. This guy's "guides" were to say unemployed and available to "guide", most had never elk hunted themselves much less guided. Being on BLM land, he was designated/permitted an area for the campsite and could not move it, even though we were 2,000 ft higher than the elk(and miles away from). Guides were wrangling horses after breakfast and let's say it had been daylight a long time when we finally left camp.

2nd & 3rd Trip - Outfitter on private land. Did this two different times and really was worth the money(of course it was a lot less money 20 yrs. ago). The advantage here was the controlled access and knowledge of the resident herd. If you consider that you may have to do several DIY hunts at $1500 each the economy of this type hunt starts to make sense.

4th & 5th Trip - Same area both times, public land in Colorado.It was fun, but as has been pointed out previously, being a newbie you can expect multiple trips to an area before you are truly hunting the animals. Second trip we RENTED two horses for our duration and where able to pack camp a fews miles from the highways and be right on the edge of our elk hunting.

So what wisdom was garnered from all this? If you are not going right away I would start looking at limited access areas, in other words start applying for special permits, could take 5 yrs. to draw the area you want. I think this is especially important in Colorado where tags are still sold across the counter and anyone deciding in August to go elk hunting is going to end up   there. Wyoming doesn't get that much pressure because the draw deadline is so early, but this type of homework can really pay off.

If an outfitter is chosen then an outfitter on private land would be my choice as opposed to an outfitter on public land. I would also avoid horses unless there are wranglers there just to get the horses ready for the mornings hunt, but if you're in good elk country you shouldn't have to travel miles each day just to reach the elk herd.  

Be aware of altitude sickness. I had splitting headaches my first trip and I know others that got dreadfully sick while in the mountains. But by all means, go when you are young and able to run the ridges all day, day after day. John
Senior member & Measurer P&Y Club
NRA Life Member
Past Bowhunter Safety Instructor

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
Great points and great info so far guys. You are actually make me think of stuff I hadnt even considered.

Smallwood, I got the email, but for some reason I cant open it. What program should work?

Let me reitierate, this isnt something Im going to rush off and do this year, as much as I would love to. I am atleast a full year, maybe as much as 3 out from "go time". I just want to be as prepared as possible when that time comes...and so far everyone is helping tremendously. Keep it up. Thanks.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
i'll resend it

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2009, 04:19:00 PM »
Intuit has brought up some good points.  Mainly, there are good outfitters and bad ones.  With a little research and some quick phone calls you should be able to find a good outfitters within your budget that has quality wranglers and guides working for him.

One thing you must think about is that even though a DIY hunt may be cheaper and fulfilling to some, you still need to get way back in there away from vehicles, people, roads etc.  The best places to do that are wilderness areas or private lands if you can afford it.  But remember....if you are 3, 5, 10 or 12 miles back in and you are lucky enough to kill an elk....you gotta get it out.  In that case time is your worst enemy.  Archery elk season in most elk states is late August thru late September.  Most of the time the weather during this time of year is warm.  An elk will spoil very quickly if not taken care of properly.

You can't imagine how much work is involved getting a downed elk out and getting the meat cool.  If the truth be know....I would be willing to bet most hunters don't get the job done.  I've seen it time and again with my own eyes.  Guys come up to the mountains with grandiose ideas of shooting an elk.  Then when they do get one they don't want to put out the effort to recover all the meat.  Heck I've seen so much stupid crap it makes me sick...but that's another story.

My point is...instead of taking several trips out west to figure out how to do it, and some people never figure it out, spend a little extra your first go around, learn the ropes a little, pick the quides brain and shorten your learning curve.  God know you will have plenty of time to just talk when you are out with a guide.  If he's worth his salt it will be money well spent.  And then when you finally connect on an elk you'll be able to get 100% of you elk out and to your house where you'll be able to enjoy it for a year or so.

Also...check out  http://www.elkcamp.com.   Lots of good info over there.

Brett
"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold:  its patriotism, its morality and its spiritual like.  If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Joseph Stalin

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2009, 10:32:00 AM »
Steertalker, I wouldnt think of not getting the meat out....may be the main reason if I decide to go with an outfitter.
Man there sure is a lot to consider. Still something Im gonna do though...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2009, 10:56:00 AM »
Jamie

Steertalker makes some fine points.  Elk normally like the deepest darkes spots away from people, which makes gettting to them, and getting them out that much harder.

You just can't be too prepared when elk hunting.

One thing I have been trying to find the time for and trying to prepare for is being more mobile.  What I mean by that is having the ability to follow the elk.  Sometimes we get a camp setup and hunt around it, but the elk are further away, which means having to move camp or hunt further away from camp.

Being able to be mobile helps you to stay "in" the elk, thus increasing your odds at shot oppurtunities.  

Also, not sure if you are picky, but I would never pass up any shot I get at elk, they just don't come by that often.

Best of luck to ya!!!  Hope you get to realize your dreams of hunting elk sooner than later!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline imskippy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »
Jaime, I'm locking this thread into my favorites. I've been dreaming of Elk for as long as I can remember. If the time comes and things workout I'd love to share in the experience if you decide to take some friends. Skippy

My dad knows a few guys who drive out and do a DIY elk hunt in colorado every year. I'll see what info they will share.
Zona Custom T/D #1
Zona Custom R/D L/B #1

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
I think everyone is making great points, and giving great advice.

For a guy like me who has only ever seen the Catskill and Adirondack mountains, it seems like a daunting task.

Jake, I wouldnt hesitate to take a shot bro. Even if I had to pack it all out solo...I know.. I know...crazy. LOL.
                         -Jamie

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2009, 03:11:00 PM »
Packing out a mature bull, if you're by yourself is gonna take you 4 or 5 trips. SPend all day hiking and hunting, then if things go well get one down late afternoon or evening. Skinning, quartering and boning it out by yourself is gonna take a couple hours. Dump everything out ofyour pack and stuff it with 70-90 lbs of meat or more( if you're part ox) and haul it however far to camp or the truck. Hiking with that much on your back is a load, uphill or down. Then turn around and do it again, 3 more trips for meat, and another for cape and horns. If youwantto pack outthe entire hide whole, figure an easy 100 lbs or more. Trust me, an elk on the ground is WORK and there is no way around it.

September is more often warm, I've hunted more 80 degree days that 50's.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2009, 03:41:00 PM »
Yeah I know AA...I was just trying to express my enthusiasm. Trust me, when I do this, I want to do it right, and as easily as possible. The Army had me used to carrying that much all day.....ten years ago. LOL!

Been thinking about some more questions. Deadlines for the different states for tag applications? OTC Tags in your state or not? Public/non-resident access to land?

Thanks again everyone...really putting it all in perspective for me.
                         -Jamie

Offline Steertalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2009, 05:31:00 PM »
Another thing to consider:  Depending on where you finally decide to hunt....there may be bears.  Where I've been hunting the last 3 years in SW Colorado you could not afford to leave your meat laying around too long because when you came back for the next load or if you had to leave your animal over night, it was very likely you would have a visitor.  Hence....we carry firearms for protection any time we have to approach a downed elk if we've had to leave it for awhile.  And this was black bear country, mind you.  Wyoming or Montana.....might be a whole different situation, if you get my drift.

Ideally....you want to make a clean quick kill.  Get on your animal and get about taking care of business.  The faster you can get your carcass cooled down and get it back to camp the happier you're gonna be when it comes to eating it.  That's why....when you're at 10,000 or 11,000 ft, you've been chasing elk all day, you finally have one down and you've been working your tail off getting it cut up and ready to pack out.....the most beautiful sight in the whole world is a cowboy on horseback with 2 or 3 mules following him.......head'n your way  :bigsmyl:

Brett

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2009, 06:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Steertalker:
That's why....when you're at 10,000 or 11,000 ft, you've been chasing elk all day, you finally have one down and you've been working your tail off getting it cut up and ready to pack out.....the most beautiful sight in the whole world is a cowboy on horseback with 2 or 3 mules following him.......head'n your way   :bigsmyl:  

Brett
Amen!  

I have been on an guieded Elk hunt before, and it was no guarentee at all!  I was shooting a compound at the time, and there were two trad guys in camp as well.  Although they had shot opps, they did not take an elk.

We worked our butts off finding the elk, and then worked some more getting into them, seeing those horses was a fine sight indeed.

The same would be true with a drop camp, but the feeling of doing most of the finding and calling is that much sweeter!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2009, 06:40:00 PM »
It all sounds sweet to me Jake...just being there and hearing a bugle would make it worthwhile for me.

Steertalker, ya put cowboys in a whole new light....think my wife likes em for a different reason though!  :biglaugh:
                         -Jamie

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2009, 07:55:00 PM »
Here ya go Jamie. This ought to get the juices flowing!

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2009, 08:03:00 PM »
Like the Nike ad--"Just do it"!

Offline Outwest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »
I would suggest that you find three other guys to go with you. That way you can hunt in pairs which works really well for elk. Also If you get an elk you will have help dealing with it. The cost would be less and you would have more fun.
Just make sure that they are people that you would be able to get along with.

John

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©