3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If I wanted to elk hunt...  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Big Fred Fan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If I wanted to elk hunt...
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
Great thread guys... Would anyone care to offer up specific OTC units to target for those of us set on a DIY hunt?  Specifically backpacking in and no ATV encroachment.  Does anyone know the cost to ship an elk back if you fly?  FYI flights from Columbus, OH are running around $290 round trip.  SUV rental $500.  Thanks for all the great intel!
Pioneers like Fred Bear gave us all a wonderful gift... the ability to exit the rat race and stalk quietly through the woods.  Thanks Fred!

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2009, 10:29:00 PM »
My bud from southern ohio came out.  Shot a 5x5 bought 2 extra suitcases think it cost $100 per bag.I shipped the head and cape back ups ground, that was another $115.
Semper Fi

Offline DELTA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2009, 10:55:00 PM »
I must say, Ive never seen so many good people helping out with good info.This is great stuff,thats why i love TRADGANG...
JIM BELLEVILLE

Offline elkslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2009, 01:58:00 AM »
Wow what a list of advice for a trip out here where I live and hunt. I am so thankful I live here. Well I have had guys come out and hunt with friends and family. I live in Vancouver now but I used to live in Oregon and I used to take friends to a few spots I know and I always see or came across ELK. I could help any of you and tell ya right where you can get on ELK. It would save you lots of looking. I am now trying to learn south west Washington. I have seen more black bear than elk in the last few years. Good luck and I will be willing to help with what ever I could. Oregon is in the 4 hundred dollar range the last time I hunted with my brother. I will tell ya this if you come all the way out west the Roosevelt elk are lots bigger than the Rocky Mt Elk. The Elk out hear are as big as a Horse but the racks are not as big. Good Luck with all of you that plan and travel out here.

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2009, 07:33:00 AM »
I've done two DIY trips out west one in WY one in ID.(3 elk, 1 moose came home)  Drove out on one and flew on another, with all the luggage restrictions today it will be very hard to get what you need out there without paying overage charges.  All I can say is research, research, research, but it's fun and can be done, don't get over whelmed just have fun.  One trick my friend and I use to get more meat home is to put frozen meat into a sleeping bag then cram it into your carry on.  We use larger backpacks so people are less apt to want to weigh them or handle them.  As long as you look like your not struggling people don't seem to question it's weight. 50# per guy Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline JoeM

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
I've also heard where possible use Alaskan Air.  They are much more hunter friendly and accomodating, especially if you need to bring home big horns, they know how to handle them.  If you shoot a big bull and are thinking about P&Y you need them to be careful handling the rack in the luggage area.  If keeping the skull intact is not an issue crack it and put the horns in a big duffle with you clothes around them.  Your taxidermist can put them back together fairly easily.  Joe
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, its melancholy, and its charm."  Teddy Roosevelt

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
Elkslayer, I sure do envy you guys that live out there. Dont get me wrong, I love the woods around and in NY, but something about the west calls to me.

Im truly amazed by the genuine offers and great advice everyone is contributing. Makes it almost unreal...

Between this thread and dreaming....feel like I am already hunting.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »
TTT
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2009, 03:04:00 PM »
ishiwannabe-  All good advise. If you want help to motivate you and fine tune your "state of mind", you might enjoy my brand new book "One with the Wilderness" (Passions of a Solo Bowhunter). For more information go to sponsors or  www.brothersofthebow.com    Thanks, Mike

Online DWT

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2009, 09:44:00 PM »
Ive hunted colorado for 13yrs out of the last 16. We have had better than average success some years 50% or better. Last fall out of 6 guys we killed 3 bulls and a small mulie buck. You might have to spend a couple years to gain some matter of success just to learn the country, water holes, wallows, bedding areas etc. I hunt unit 52,521,411 and there is alot of elk here, not many book bulls but some nice ones and any elk with a stickbow is a trophy indeed. We always haul our own gear wall tents, stoves,  pack frames, etc. And we also take a freezer and a small generator, it can be extreamly warm during bow season. We haul all this in my enclosed trailer that I have just for hunting. Last year 5 of us left from Michigan and a freind from NM met us there. We took one 4 dr deisel truck and split the fuel. If your looking to budget the trip I usually figure around 1200-1400$ per guy which is very cheap for an elk hunt.If you would like anymore info you could call me and I will help you as muck as I can. After all these years I got a pretty good handle on it. And I have killed bulls personally the last three years in a row so something is going right. pm me If you would like my phone #. Good luck, Don.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2009, 05:09:00 PM »
Wow Don, sounds like you do in fact have it figured out.

Sure is a great dream hunt...

What about some of the overlooked stuff? Clothing....boots.....camp equipment. Essentials? Comfort items? You know that kind of stuff. Any of you have one thing, or a few, that makes a big difference with this type of adventure?
                         -Jamie

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2009, 06:34:00 PM »
elk hunting and elk calling are two entirely different things,elk are very easy to call in.sometimes they will come right in like on a rope,sometimes they sneek in quiet just to take a peek,generally the ones that sneek in are worried about a bigger bull whippin his butt.i used to bugle a lot but as the years go by i generally cowcall unless a bull is hot and ready to fight.in this case the more you bugle the madder he gets.its pretty important to mimick the bulls actions meaning bugle his bugle (match it) if he starts beating up a tree then grab a limb and start thrashing it on a smaller tree.you are basically saying back to him that you are badder than him and you aren't going anywhere.most critical of all is the wind,keep the wind in your favor or its game over for you.like i said get some calls and elk videos and watch them several times each as most of them have very good lessons in them on calling etc. the outfitter i use takes you in and out plus will take out your game (included in price)and deliver it to be processed for you.if you fly it will cost you to fly the meat home.could be expensive.drive and you'll have to keep it iced up all the way home.cheaper than flying for sure.a great bugle to buy that is very easy to master is the power bugle.thats what i use and i just took the small tube and replaced it with one that has a larger bell on it and it sounds very good.things to think about...             larry
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
good boots are a must.a good knife and sharpener also,fleece camo is the best imo because its soft and quiet when moving around,i always carry my gps as its invaluable for marking good spots like wallows,where your elk is,camp etc.bring socks (two pair per day) scent eliminator is crucial,wind detectors also.tie some yarn to your bow so you can see wind direction and squeeze breeze works great or flickits.generally it depends on what hunt you opt to do.a supplied drop camp is imo the best way to go.you only bring your clothes,hunting gear, sleeping bag.everything else is supplied and camp is set up and waiting for your arrival.i cannot tell you how nice it is not to have to set up or take down a camp............larry
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Some people just dont get it...
I was talking to my older bro about this possibility, and he wanted in. I said "Ok, learn how to shoot a recurve or longbow." He started ranting how if he hunts elk, it will be with a gun so if he sees one, he can get one.
Now, that in itself, wasnt to bad. He is the type that needs a harvest to feel successful.
But he eventually got around to how stupid it would be for me to "waste" the time, effort and money and hunt with a "stupid bow".
Some people just dont get it I guess...sorry...had to vent.

Larry, thats the kind of stuff Im looking for. Im hoping more would post what they use, maybe it would allow me to see a pattern of useful vs. un-used.
                         -Jamie

Offline Wolfkiss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
Here's a useful link I came across last year b4 my first Elk hunt in Colorado, lots of great info!

http://tradgang.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=059344;p=1

Also I'm sure there are others but 'Elk and Elk hunting' by 'Hartt Wixom' was a great source of info on the fundamentals and fine point of chasing Wapiti.

Andy.
Hunting was hazardous, but at least it guaranteed the freedom of the individual.

There is no doubt that the onset of farming saw the end of leasure for the majority of people, who were destined to toil in the fields.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2009, 07:33:00 PM »
I remember that thread well - it should be a Trad Gang Classic!  Loads and loads of great information for everyone who wants to go elk hunting.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Yeah that is a great thread, and it is partly responsible for this one. I have it in my favorites now and have been re-reading it.
Every little bit helps.  :D
                         -Jamie

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
Hey Jamie! If I go to the Elks Club on Route 23 do ya think I can bag a big 'un?

... mike ...  :D  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 09, 2009, 08:06:00 PM »
I agree!  I went back today and re-read it (I've been cooped up with a nasty flu) there is a TON of valuable information in that thread.  Also, Todd and others do a nice job of keeping it practical and simple.  

Joe - I also appreciated your advice of "do it now - don't wait."  

Good stuff!

I hope this one continues....

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 09, 2009, 09:51:00 PM »
Mikey, just go down the road from your cabin to the Elk farm buddy! Im sure those elk will taste better than the others....  :jumper:
                         -Jamie

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©