3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: If I wanted to elk hunt...  (Read 1870 times)

Offline houseman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: If I wanted to elk hunt...
« Reply #80 on: March 09, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
Yeah cause, there aint no elk in Colorado  :biglaugh:
Semper Fi

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
This thread's been rockin for awhile, generally good advice.  Here's the contents of my pack, for a day hunt.

This amount of stuff has proven more than enough for the last couple of years.  Food, water/filter, survival kit(flint,lighter, matches, cotton and vaseline, cord, duct tape, sil tarp), batterie/gps/compass/ map, extra socks and hat, knives, calls, extra glove and game bags.  To me it came down to this.  out of 100% of the stuff I would take,

10% is essential for a happy hunt, used every time or for safety,
80% is useful stuff, though it often goes unused
10% is frivolous and Great to have  (Gourmet Chocolate,  stumpin arrows, gum or hard candy, mapping GPS)

get rid of the middle 80% and you'll be safe, light and always prepared for a good time.  Where things fit in these categories is likely personal.    
here's the whole tamale packed.  Light and fast, ready to kill and carry 200lbs out if my back so desired.  

When I go for 2-3 days I just throw on the sleeping bag and more food.  

If your going to call, practice.  Read, study.  Remember that when calling your actually saying something to the elk.  I've found that succesful elkhunters have a system that works.  Elknut's is one of the best and the first I've seen publicly articulated so well.

Be mindful of what worked when and why.  

By the time I've seen this thread, there's been a lot of good advice.  So I won't gum up your head.  HAVE FUN!

one more thing.

The two things that kill more elk than any other, seemingly are at odds with each other;

Be very patient
Be very mobile
  shoot straight, Dan
77# @ 29.5 r/d longbow homer
80# @ 29.5 GN super Ghost

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »
Looks like a good set up Dan.  You've got a pack that is capable of packing meat, and you have the things in it that are needed to take care of an animal on the ground.  It is tempting for many to eliminate some of those things with the thought "I'll just go back to the truck for that if I need it"  But when in that situation, meat often needs to be taken care of fast, and it just makes so much more sense to carry some of it with you on the first trip out.

What is the "sil tarp"?  Is that used for laying meat on during bone out, or for rain protection or both?  

The one thing I would definatley add is a camera!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2009, 12:04:00 PM »
HAH!  yeah, good idea whip.  Actually, I'm a photographer, so I have a canon elph hanging around.  I knew I'd forget something.  

The Sil tarp is a silicone impregnated nylon Tarp.  Packs down to and weighs nothing.  Its my tent if I need one  :-)  
Yes, I have used it to lay the meat on to cool off and keep it clean.

This pic is actually a reflecitve tarp, not sil/nylon.  I prefer Sil for its weight and space.

Yeah, I've always got bags and boning knives.  Notice the pack has a 8000 CI bag there under that shelf ready to go.  The added weight in negligible.  The frame is narrow and light.  anywhere further than 2 legit miles away from the truck is to far to go back to get the pack IMO. Wasted time.  anyway, This is what works for me, just wanted to add to the thread.  Dan

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2009, 12:22:00 PM »
Elkbreath, thats what Im hoping for...pics help a ton.

My list of things to get is growing rather quickly...  :thumbsup:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »
Dan, what do you have your meat packed in?  Looks like clear plastic bags?  Are they made for packing meat?  I don't like most game bags that are sold, even the reletively heavy Alaskan Bags still don't stop flies from laying eggs right through them.  I have some really heavy canvas type bags I'm using now, but I'm always looking for lighter and better!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
I always carry 2 white pillow cases.  They are tough and last a while.  I don't know about putting meat in plastic bags, unless it is for a very short period.

Offline elkbreath

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2009, 01:41:00 PM »
like nurray, I generally use oversized pillow cases too or game bags.  BUT, the best I have or have used IMO are the meat bags by kifaru.  They are very lightweight and strong.  Flies cannot lay thru them.  This pic was taken with ICE bags, the bigger the better.  They seem to work very well.  Let the meat cool and breathe for a bit before putting them in there.  If you have to go out and come back, make two trips as in a Solo trip, then they will let you put the meat in a creek without water getting in.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2009, 01:57:00 PM »
KNOW if you are allergic to bee stings before you go-Be aware that a kill at midday with unseasonally high temps compounds the problem of trying to cool the meat by swarms of yellow jackets attacking the meat. A mixture of white vinegar/black pepper in a collapsible spray bottle or the "Liquid Game Bag" combo will help with the problem of the bees and blowflies.

Offline e alexander

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »
Lot's of good ideas, even for someone who has done it a few times.  A lot of guy's put off this hunt due to the fear that it's too costly, or that you need a lot of stuff.  My recommendation is get a few basic items, and go. My last trip was only about a $1000 as I drove my truck, and my 2 buddies bought the gas.  Had a great time, and it's almost as cheap as living at home!

Offline nurayb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2009, 03:08:00 PM »
I heard this one in Alaska.  In warm temps, and no cold creek around, dig a hole and place the meat(already cooled) in plastic bags and bury.  Never tried it but quite a few did, especially out on the tundra(no shade or trees to hang the meat).

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2009, 09:59:00 PM »
if you want to hunt in oregon ishi i would gladly show you the ropes.season after this coming season i will most likely hunt in my hunting spot that had a fire go through it (should be good again by then)its been re-seeded by air drop and the grass will be thick and the elk will be there for sure.nothing like it when you get into elk.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline PAPA BEAR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2009, 10:02:00 PM »
if you want to hunt in oregon ishi i would gladly show you the ropes.season after this coming season i will most likely hunt in my hunting spot that had a fire go through it (should be good again by then)its been re-seeded by air drop and the grass will be thick and the elk will be there for sure.nothing like it when you get into elk.
IT'S NEVER WRONG TO DO WHATS RIGHT AND NEVER RIGHT TO DO WHATS WRONG.....LOU HOLTZ

Offline Autumnarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2009, 09:25:00 PM »
But he eventually got around to how stupid it would be for me to "waste" the time, effort and money and hunt with a "stupid bow".

I've heard that same line from guys at work. How stupid would it be NOT to go, and experience the mountain tranquility, the excitement of hunting elk on YOUR terms. How stupid would it be to allow someone else to steal your dream, and live life wondering what could be, when you can do it YOUR way, with no regrets. I would not share a hunt with anyone who has to look down their nose as the others choice of gear. Thats a personal thing.

I've been to Colorado 4 times, 3 with a longbow.
I have had very close opportunities every trip.
I'm still payin dues,but that just means I get to try again. I'm not gettin any younger, my body reminds me of that every day. But as long as the good Lord allows, I will continue. I may never kill and elk, but I know I'll be happier knowing I never quit, that to say I never tried.

I have 2 years until I retire from my job as a firefighter. I'll be pushin 50. I figure  have a lot of Spetembers left after that to live in the mountains chasin dreams.
...stood alone on a montaintop, starin out at a great divide, I could go east, I could go West, it was all up to me to decide, just then I saw a young hawk flyin and my soul began to rise......

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
I hear ya Autumn Archer, I think it was a mixture of "older-brother-itis" and jealousy...equal parts.
Im pushing 34, so I know Im going to get out there and chase elk somewhere in the next few years. I need to know what Im doing when my boy is old enough to tag along.  :thumbsup:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Big Fred Fan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
I think I've read this whole thread and I have not heard anyone say anything about bears.  What are your thoughts concerning bears while elk hunting in Colorado?  Does anyone feel the need to carry a 44 mag?  Any good stories out there?
Pioneers like Fred Bear gave us all a wonderful gift... the ability to exit the rat race and stalk quietly through the woods.  Thanks Fred!

Offline Big Sneaky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »
This is a great thread.  I have been 3 times and have still yet to connect.  So like Autumnarcher, I 'm still payin' my dues.  I'm 31 and wish I could have started going when I was 20.  This time of year all I can think about is elk hunting.  Drives the wife nuts!  Once you go you will be hooked.

There has been some great advice from more experienced elk hunters than myself, so the only thing I could add is to get into shape.  Most elk country (especially OTC in CO) is steep and rugged.  Start getting into shape the year before you plan to go.  It will allow you to have a much more enjoyable hunt.  

The only other thing to add is to just go for it!  Remember, you're not getting any younger, and the mountains aren't getting any flatter.  When you do decide to go I hope you have a great hunt.

Cade
Always keep the wind in your face, and an arrow nocked.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2009, 10:14:00 PM »
You are so right Cade - good advice.  You may wish you had started earlier, but I was in my mid forties before I got hooked.  Sure wish I had started in my twenties like you did!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2009, 11:08:00 PM »
I usually have at least one bear encounter a year in CO. I've never had any aggressiveness myself but have had hunters stop at my camp and show me the damage done by hungry bears; canvas tent ripped open at night while they were sleeping and a truck camper rear door partially torn open by a bear.(West Elk-2004) Twice I was at camp midday and had a roaming bear circle my wall tent. The second bear made the mistake of sticking around close and was shot by a muzzie hunter with a bear tag.(San Juans-2006) I got too close to a bear this season while elk hunting by still hunting in thick oak brush. I knew I was too close when I smelled him. Its a smell you'll always remember,believe me. I just backed out(I was about 20 yds. downwind) and skirted the oak patch he was working and left the area. In 2007 the rancher lost 3 of his range cattle to bear(s). The game warden investigated and several locals with bear tags helped out but I don't think they got the bear.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2009, 11:19:00 PM »
Make sure there's only one bear before you start relaxing and taking pics. I was trying to get a pic of the first bear and then saw the small cub running to catch up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©