3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best way to string longbow?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
Best way to string longbow?
« on: February 28, 2009, 04:41:00 PM »
Ive got a bow stringer that works great for my recurves but my longbow just seems to long to string with the stringer. Is there an easier way? Ive seen some guys do it in a certain way where they put the bottom limb on the ground and it looks like they step on the tip of the limb and slide the string up. I havent tried it yet  because im scared of hurting the bow and im not even sure if thats how its done. Can you guys help me out?
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline Darrel

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best way to string longbow?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 05:47:00 PM »
Cabela's has two different stringers, one for recurves and other for longbows. The longbow stringer is about 6 inches longer. I have both, one for the wife's recurve and the other for my longbow.

Don't try the step thru method with a laminated bow, because one mistake and it is history. It would be a fair guess the guys you have seen using the step thru method are using self bows.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
I've seen a number of bowyers who make longbows use the method 2Blade is probably describing, and I use it myself.  An important distinction is that they are not "stepping on the tip of the limb," even though it looks that way.  And the method they're using is not the step thru method, which could possibly damage the bow.

What they're doing is holding the bow by the handle with their right hand, pulling the bottom tip of the bow into the instep of their right shoe, while they push against the upper limb with their left hand and slide the string up the upper limb with the fingers of their left hand.  The bottom tip either doesn't touch the ground or at least has no downward pressure against the ground.

For safety, keep your eyes lower than the upper bow tip when you're doing this in case something slips.  I'm not sure how well this method would work on a longbow that is highly reflexed, but it works well on the straighter longbows I have.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline cedar swampman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 08:22:00 AM »
I use a stringer for my longbows and in a pinch string with the push/pull method.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 09:09:00 AM »
One of the reason's I started taking my longbows hunting more and more is because I didn't have to keep up with a stringer.

Nothing wrong with the 'push pull' method for sure, and all longbow shooters should know how to do it.  Its plenty safe if learned to do properly, and the bow isn't in any danger of being damaged either.

Let me see if I can get a clip soon....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Peachey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
Push pull for me too on a longbow. Stringer for sure on a recurve.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
I would love to see that Terry...Ive heard about the method, but never tried it. I only use a stringer. Now you have my curiosity up
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 09:30:00 AM »
I've used push/pull for 1000s of longbow stringings without a problem.  Don't step on the tip but lever it against in inside of your foot and set the tip on the welt of the sole.

Don't do it with a curve.  Always use a stringer.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 10:12:00 AM »
Been using the push/pull method to string longbows for more than 40 years and haven't damaged one yet.  Doesn't work as well on extremely reflex/deflex hybrids.  Longbow stringer should have cups on each end.  The recurve stringers that have a cup on one end and a rubber wedge on the other will work on longbows if they're long enough, but not nearly as nicely, easily as a longbow stringer.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 10:35:00 AM »
I have used both stringer and push/pull. Both work well when done properly. Even a stringer can be dangerous if you don't do thing correctly. The only time I had some difficulty with the push/pull was with my 70" long bow, but now that I'm used to it, no problem.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 10:44:00 AM »
Just buy a stringer for your longbow.  It's cheaper than paying to fix it if you mess it up because if you string it without a stringer the bowyer  WILL NOT  cover the damage.

Offline KYArcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 10:53:00 AM »
I use a stringer! As mentioned earlier two different stringers ( longbow-recurve).
                         KY  :archer:

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
Push/pull for me all the time, even recurves. I've had too many stringers slip or break for me to trust them any more. Mainly though, I leave all my bows strung until I need to pack them for travelling.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 11:33:00 AM »
Push/Pull for me. I have done it that way on my 72" self bow and my 54" Shrew. Use a stringer on recurved bows for safety.

When Byron Ferguson was at Whittingham shoot in Jersey. He said He never used a string on a long bow because of safety reasons, but would never string a recurved bow with out one.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
Ive used the push pull, but most bowyers recommend a stringer, so I use stringer. It doesnt take up to much room. What ever works for yeah. Where ya run into trouble is not being coached the right way . video wood be great Tarz.  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 02:40:00 PM »
I use the push/pull method when stringing my bows. Sometimes with a heavy bow or a longer bow I will use a stringer because it is safer and easier for me. If the stringer is too long, put both feet on the string. If it is still too long the farther apart your feet are the less height you will have to pull to.
   For me, if a bow is too difficult to brace with a push/pull method, it is usually too heavy for me to draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Korak

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
I have the step-thru stringer given to me when I bought my Fedora recurve 35 years ago.  It is a webbing strap with a loop on it. You strap it around your ankle, place the tip of the bow in it and then step-thru and string.  it is very easy, safe and does not twist limbs.  I plan on using it with a long bow soon.
Korak
NW AR
1973 fedora TD

Offline john fletch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 04:33:00 PM »
I have used the push-pull for over 40 years also, but have been hit in the head on a couple slips. (maybe 2 out of 5000 stringings but still remember the pain!)  You can't beat a proper length bow stringer, and with a really long bow, especially a shorter person, you have to get closer to the top limb on your 'pull' as was said earlier.
Instructor BSA NCS certified

Offline Bob Sarrels

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 06:01:00 PM »
Push pull is great on a longbow.  If I see a customer doing that with a recurve I will threaten to void his warranty.  Not so much for damage to the bow,  which it can do, but damage to the operator.  Several years ago I saw a guy doing that with a 45 lb recurve, lost his grip with his left hand and litteraly popped his left eyeball out of his head.  It was hanging on his cheek by the optic nerve and he was screamin his head off.  They were able to save his eye but that vision stays with me to this day.
Now then, get your weapons ~ your quiver and bow ~ and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27.3

Offline sweeney3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
I use whichever method is handy at the moment for longbows.  I just got an Owl selfbow, and Mr. Scott recommends the push-pull and includes instructions.  Always use the stringer for recurves.  It's better for the bow.  

Incidently, if you do have a slip up using push-pull with a longbow, the bow will probably be fine, but you're going to have to explain your face for a few days.
Silence is golden.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©