3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best way to string longbow?  (Read 2429 times)

Offline mwmwmb

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best way to string longbow?
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 06:12:00 PM »
Bob, Goog God man.   :scared:

Offline 2Blade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 06:28:00 PM »
I like the sound of the push pull method seems like it would be alot easier if I was out hunting. Looking foreword to Terrys video I may still buy a stringer just cause.
The Stuttering Bowhunter

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 06:31:00 PM »
This is all I have to say about that.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
I push pull every bow I have.  Recurves over about 50 to 55 pounds get a little tricky butunder 50 pounds are a piece of cake.

I will add that from personal experience, the most dangerous aspect of this method is the possibility of not getting the string loop securely set in BOTH sides of BOTH limb nocks.  Longbows it's not too bad but recurves will twist and unstring rather violently at times.  I've had one do exactly that.  It was a 46#, 1957 bear Kodiak Special just like the Little Delta bow.  I got the string securely in the upper limb nocks but evidently while bending the bow during the stringing process the string came partly out of BOTTOM limb nocks.  I strung the bow and had just lifted it away from my foot when BAM!  It felt like someone punched me.  Took me a second to figure out what had happened and by that time there was some blood dripping off my chin.  The upper limb tip had hit me square in the chin.  I swear I could have given Curt Douglas a run for his money when it comes to a dimple in the chin.  Of course, a couple minutes later it was no longer an "inny" but had swelled into an impressive "outy".  Also, it happens SOOOO fast.  There is absolutely no way to see it coming.  Just BAM and it's all over.

Probably some of you are thinking "And you still string a bow that way?  Are you crazy or stupid?"  Neither atually.  Just matter of fact enough about life in general to have learned a lesson on HOW to do something without being scared into NOT doing it ever again.  I always check the lower loop first and I turn my head away during the stringing process.  Then, before I release control of the bow limb I turn the bow sideways to get out of the line of fire if it were to "go off".  It can be done safely but you have to do it right and think about what you are doing or you could be looking at a perforated face.

We carry sharp pointy sticks over rough ground with nothing between them and us but some leather (they are disigned to  cut through hide to so what does that tell ya?)  We climb up and down trees in the dark and do all manner of risky acts during a season.  Stringing a bow isnt' gonna be something to scare me.  I'm honestly more scared of relying of a bow stringer as I've had one of them slip off twice.  I've also had great difficulty being able to slide the rubber block up the limb during the stringing process.  If it comes down to trusting my bare hands or trusting a little bitty pocket tip holder and a piece of string, I'll trust my hands and experience.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
By the way, for longbows there is a much safer way to hand string than the push pull but I seldom use it.

Stand with your back to a wall (or tree) and hold the bow leaning away from you.  Place the lower limb tip on the floor (or ground) near the wall on your right side.  Hold the upper limb near the top with one hand and put the toes of your right foot at mid limb of the lower limb and your right knee above the handle.  Put equal pressure on the bow with your foot and knee while pulling the top limb towards you.  Kinda slide your back down the wall to increase pressure and you can easily flex the bow and slide the string up the upper limb and into the nocks.

The nice thing about this method is that in the event of a slip, all energy is directed away from you.  With a little practice, you can do it very quickly and it feels very safe.
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline GingivitisKahn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
Longbow stringers make me grumpy.  Push pull all the way.  :-D

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 11:17:00 PM »
I found this video on bow stringers. I also use the push pull method on longbows.

cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Offline Aussie Stickbow Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2009, 12:14:00 AM »
I have been using the step through method for near on 25 years and have never damaged a bow. IMO it is safer than other methods and if done correctly will not damge your bow. I have only used it on longbows by the way.

Jeff

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2009, 01:31:00 AM »
If I don't have a stringer[they pull your limbs even'ly].I have built selfbows for 20 years and I've used the push,pull a hole lot.But I do it a little different,I put the back of the bow to me at 45 degress put the bottom limb in the crease of my left foot.My right hand pulls the bow handle towards me while puting my left hand index finger under the string loop.While pushing up.
  My bows are only 60"s to 66"s so a long bow may be a little harder.If so get a stringer.But the push,pull has never hurt any of my bows.And like I said I've beeb doing it for 20 years with my selfbows.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2009, 01:50:00 AM »
I hope this works.
file:///C:/temp/bow%20stringing.htm

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2009, 02:48:00 AM »
Does it matter if the longbow is R/D or not for push/pull to be safe?

I'd like to see a video on that.  

How do you unstring it?  Step through?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »
Wow...lot of stories of folks getting hit with the bow limbs.  The way I do the push pull my head is not in the way.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2009, 07:47:00 AM »
I use the black widow stringers.I can string the bow without one if I ever need to but generally remember to carry a stringer.I do think if you hunt with a longbow you should know how to do it without a stringer, just in case.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
Maybe someone can explain?

Pull the string like you're drawing it and the string snaps in place?

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »
Boom Stick, No no No!!!!! Is anyone/ everyone  able to view the document  that I linked to?
file:///C:/temp/bow%20stringing.htm

Offline Boom Stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »
Tree Man,  the link doesn't work.

Offline Jason Jelinek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
I use push pull, the key is to turn your head away while stringing it.  Do it by feel and it won't hit you in the face.  I push/pull to string and unstring it between each shooting session.  My fiberglass and wood laminate bows never stay strung.

Jason

Offline Tree man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
Well crud.

Offline bubby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2009, 10:30:00 AM »
they walk you through push pull in dec. primitive archer

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 11:39:00 AM »
What is the difference between a curve and LB stringer?  I always did step through on my old curves, but now that I got back into it I got a BW stringer that has a large limb cup and a small one.  I use it on my curve.  I assume it works on a LB also, but now I am not sure if it will or if I have the correct curve stringer.  I checked that link a page back and it shows the type for a curve that has a pad on the face of the limb.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©