3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Luggage for airlines?  (Read 510 times)

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
Luggage for airlines?
« on: March 01, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
Headed to Alaska in May for a bear hunt. 1st time I've had to fly to hunt. Do you guys use duffel bags for luggage. I've got a takedown Schafer and a arrow tube made out of PVC drain tube that's 32" long. I figured it would all go in a duffel bag. Just not sure how the airlines would treat a duffel bag. Thoughts or recommendations on bags? Cabelas has some nice looking canvas stuff.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Luggage for airlines?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
Greg  I sure a duffel would work fine.When I went to Quebec last June I bought a 35" Pacific drop bottom bag at Academy Sporting goods I had my bow,arrows in a PVC tube,fishing gear and clothes.Price was around $40.00 so was afraid it would not make the trip but went to Dulles,Albany and back through O'hare and back to New Orleans O.K.I still think it is a little weak but for  the length and room I will use it until it fails me I guess.Kip

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 10:54:00 AM »
I went to Colorado a few years ago and mailed(USPS) my bows in a PVC tube, arrows in a plastic arrow case taped closed and other camping and hunting stuff in cardboard boxes. I mailed everything 2 weeks prier, by priority mail and delivery confirmation(for tracking purposes) so it would be there when I got there...and it was Any time I fly anywhere I use only carry on luggage. I don't trust the airline for shipping necessities.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 10:59:00 AM »
I'd trust the airlines over the Post Office any day! If it's only a single flight with no transfers, the chances of your luggage going astray are almost zero. I use a really cheap 36" duffel with my bows in a T/D case. Arrows have the tips removed & are in a cardboard tube. Up t now I've had no trouble whatsoever like this.
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 11:02:00 AM »
A duffle works great long with a PVC tube like you mentioned.  For the bow, a Safari Tuff case with clothing packed around it protects it well.  

Not having luggage show up is always a concern.  If you're flying with someone else pack your bags jointly with some of your things in their bag and vice versa.  If one piece does not show up at least you each will have half of what you need.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 12:20:00 PM »
I have 2 systems for traveling by air with bows OR firearms.  These two systems have untold thousands of miles on them with no harm to my gear.

1.  Hard sided golf bag.  Put your valuable, breakable gear in and cushion with clothes, sleeping gear, ect. around it.

2.  Rolling drop bottom duffle bag with a t/d shotgun hard case in the bottom.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 12:48:00 PM »
I fly a lot too and use a Cabela's roller duffel.  I routinely just use a soft case or just sleeves for bows and a thin plastic chart tube cut to length for arrows and have never had a problem, even to Mongolia and back.  I would view a pvc pipe as overkill and too heavy.  Everything else in the bag supports, pads, and protects the bowz N erras.

Offline Dave2old

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 02:27:00 PM »
Roller duffels used to be the tickey, until the airlines started charging for extra bags and overweight, and even an empty roller has some heft. Also, some bush pilots limit weight. These days I use duffels with a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" thick insolite foam sleeping pad cut to cover the inside bottom and up both sides. This provides some stiffness and padding, yet weighs nothing and allows some flexibility also. I agree with the others on the pvc tube case. Last trip to AK was able to get two take-down longbows and a dozen arrows all into one 4" diameter tube. Have fun, dave

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
I have one like Steve H talked about.  I took two bows and about 30 arrows plus clothes and boots to Africa in one.  Worked great.

I'd suggest you consider a cooler as your second bag.  That way you can take your cape and skull home in the cooler and mail/fedex anything that won't fit in your two bags and carry on.  It's cheaper.  I carry a longbow (td) and arrows in my cooler.  Limits the weight due to it's size, but lots of protection.

Online fisherick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 08:11:00 PM »
For my 2008 Colorado DIY Elk hunt, due to airline fees/restrictions, we purchased BPS Redhead deluxe gear bags 32"x15"x15"(7200ci, 3#) In it I packed my Dwight Schuh framepack,a T/D Bob Lee recurve bow in a soft case, 7 arrows in a lite plastic tube, a sleeping bag, pad, all my camo and gear. (48# total)  We also purchased a Igloo Maxcold 60 wheel cooler 28"x16"x17"(13#)to bring our camp gear (42# total) and use the cooler during the trip and to transport meat home. I also used a 2500" backpack as a carry on for my travel clothes,binos,camera, etc.
All bags/cooler worked perfectly and NO extra fees if weight stays below 50#

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
I went to Canada last Oct and I used a big duffel bag to get my arrow boxes in along with all my clothes. It measured out to be an oversized bag but they never checked it and did not charge me extra. I don't know if that was normal practice or if I got lucky.

Bisch

Offline Mike Orton

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
Greg,
first off I'm jealous as all get out that you're going to Alaska and I'm not.

But if you must go to Alaska and travel via airline, check out these cases.  They are the bomb!
 http://www.tuffpak.com/retail/default.asp

Don't get scared off by the high prices, as I find them often on E,B.A.Y. for under $100.  They're called both Tuffpak and Nalpak.  Often used int he entertainment industry to hold tripods.  

The part I like so much is that they don't look like a bow or rifle case.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 06:14:00 AM »
Don't trust the airline web sites when it comes to costs and limits on luggage. They change their minds all the time. Call and asking is better.I showed up at NWA and they charged me $15 for my duffle and another $25 for the second bag (my cooler). Your carry on is free so pack that as full as you can and fill your duffle with hunting stuff. Better yet, fill your cooler with your hunting stuff and have an empty duffle in it so if you do make meat you can bring it back.
lll

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
CJ, we're flying NW and thats the going rate now. I'm hoping to get everything in one bag. We'll be out of Homer, so I can probably buy a cooler up there if I need one. Guys, thanks for all the responses.
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 02:30:00 PM »
Once you purchase your ticket, print a copy of the luggage limits AT THAT TIME.  

This saved me $50 with Horizon when they tried to charge me and I pointed out what the limits were under my ticket.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 03:53:00 PM »
LKH, yup, I did that. Not for that reason, but it makes sense and I'll make sure not and lose them.

- Doug Lawson.

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 04:05:00 PM »
Another tip, I used my Crooked Horn Back pack as my carry on. Was able to pack my binnoculars, camera, socks, flashlight, etc. Northwest only allows 50lbs per check on bag. Good luck and have a great time. Are you hunting Brown or black bears.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 04:18:00 PM »
Thanks Mark. I got a backpack and a fanny pack for my carry-on items. We're going for blackies.

- Doug Lawson.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 06:53:00 PM »
If you are going with Homer Ocean Charters ? Please let me know how your hunt goes as I and 5 other trad guys are going out with them next Spring [2010].  :thumbsup:
Thanks,
Gene
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2009, 04:22:00 PM »
Gene, sorry, we're not going with Homer Ocean. Its DIY.

- Doug Lawson.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©