3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: bare shaft planing....unexpected results  (Read 419 times)

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
bare shaft planing....unexpected results
« on: March 01, 2009, 04:34:00 PM »
ACS CX 53@27" longbow.

3 fletched and 3 unfletched shafts

So I have been at this for a while and couldn't get any progress with 5575 gold tip shafts @ 29" length with point weights up to 350.

Everything the arrow was doing was saying it was to weak spined, but everything I was reading was saying it should work, or it will be too stiff! Being new to this idea I let me head get torn between what I read and what I saw too much.

I decided to try a friends 7595's@ 29". I added 100 grn brass inserts and started shooting those. First thing I noticed was the arrow shot great with no fletching, so I got 3 more and fletched 2. I shot point weights from 125 up to 175, then jumped up to 250 cause I have nothing between those two.

From 24 yards I got the 125's shooting with the fletched shafts!! The 250's were way too weak as they would shoot left and off of my target. I will trim the shaft down and shoot again today. As I want the point weight to be 350 total if possible.

I guess the point of my drawn out post is that just because it shouldn't be working, or cause others use a different set up, or cause it just might not make sense, DOESN'T MEAN IT AIN"T RIGHT!!!!

Finally I got the progress I was looking for and now I think I can wooop this tuning method. By the end I should have darts!!

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: bare shaft planing....unexpected results
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 04:36:00 PM »
In the sentence about the 250's being to weak, they were shooting to the RIGHT and off of the target.

OOPS

I am right handed

Also have a 6 strand DF97 string

Offline plentycoupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 04:37:00 PM »
Thanks to all those that kept feeding me info.
And to O.L. for all the assistance.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 04:56:00 PM »
You might be able to shoot the 5575's if you build the shelf plate out and use less weight up front.

Offline La. bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 05:14:00 PM »
I agree with you, everything I was reading said what I was shooting was way too stiff. I shoot a Dan Quillion Patriot 56@ 28 I pull 28 1/2 so I am about 58 pounds or so. I shoot a CX heritage 350 31 inches long with a 50 grain insert and a 150 grain point and footed with 2 inches of 2212 alum shaft glued on the end. According to what I read on here it is way too stiff but at 10 - 12 yards I shot 2 bare shafts with field points 2 fletched with field points and 2 fletched with broadheads all 6 arrows hit in about a 3 inch group. I say all this to say that you might get close reading here but nothing beats trial and error to find what your bow wants to shoot.
La. Bowhunter trad archery addict

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
I usually bareshaft 25-30 yards.IMHO 12 yards isn't far enough to fine tune.10-12 will tell you if you are way off but the farther you can shoot the better.

Offline JOKER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 07:06:00 AM »
Plentycoupe,
My ACX CX is 55# @28" and it also likes a verry stiff shaft. I built the sideplate out a little and use an 8strand 8125 string. It likes a beman ics 300 with 250gr up front. Steve

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2009, 09:34:00 AM »
There's no one formula that works across the board. Two archers with similar setups often get different results, because of the human factor.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©