3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Adirondak Canoe Hunt  (Read 1727 times)

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
Adirondak Canoe Hunt
« on: March 02, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »
The other post got me thinking as my son and brother are planning to do the canoe bow hunt in the Adirondaks, could use some advise about best put ins and areas to hunt from any of the woodsmen there. We want to set up a primitive camp and hunt from that base for at least four days, not necessarily hunt from the canoe only.

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Adirondak Canoe Hunt
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 01:49:00 PM »
i'll send you a pm later tonight. many great places to float back in to.
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
That would be great ADK, want to take my son on one of those special hunts before he is out of the house too. Thought about doing the muzzle loader to but the bow would be better I think.
I have back packed Mt. Marcy twice years ago and camped in state campgrounds with the family but looks like a canoe back country trip would be something great there.

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 10:52:00 PM »
Wow, no one else floating the high country, hopefully others will happen by

Offline defiant

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 10:41:00 AM »
William,Bog river flow to Lows lake makes for a great trip.A little easier trip would be Little Tupper lake the far side.(Stay away from the camp bliss area) the 50 to70 mile an hour wind at night is not pleasant.For a quick trip and good hunting area consider Cedar river flow. Frank

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 11:32:00 AM »
Thank Defiant, going to look them up, where in Jersey are you?
Are you bowhunting when you have been there?

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 11:48:00 AM »
I've always liked putting the canoe on my shoulders and hiking back into Rock Lake (~.5 miles).  The bass fishing is great on the lake.  Paddle up the little feeder stream as far as you can and make camp.  Last time I was up there I saw deer, bear sign, river otters and beaver.

There's another trip I made years ago, but can't remember where exactly.  It was 10-12 mile canoe trip up river to get to a lake where we camped for a few days before heading back out.  We were the only people back that far and there was game sign everywhere.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 01:02:00 PM »
I haven't done this in 20yrs. or so but back then, myself and three friends used to canoe across the stillwater resivior and set up base camp to hunt black bears.
I reckon so

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »
Jeremy,
      back during the "gun" days i killed a SLAMMER on Rock Lake, 10 point, 189 pounds. i hunted there often. you must have paddled back in on Teeter Creek? i also missed a SLAMMER waaaay back in there. i still have the topo maps from hunting there.
  Ren Man, i will pm you tonight, sorry for the delay, working hard and pretty sick right now.

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
There are many, many excellent canoe areas to choose from, however, hunting in the wilderness areas of the Adirondacks is challenging even with a rifle. If you see a deer on your trip you should consider it an enormous success. If you are primarily interested in a great canoe trip with the opportunity to wander around with your bow there are many places that fit the bill. If you are primarily interested in an opportunity to see deer, that's a different story.

If it were me, I would look toward the southern region in the park, maybe around speculator, maybe siamese ponds wilderness area. I have seen 10x the number of deer in that region than I have seen in the high peaks, or even some of the more remote areas surrounding the high peaks. Given the type of winter we're having, the deer population will likely have taken a big hit on the tug hill plateau. You might want to avoid that area.

If you are willing to carry a canoe in on your back to some very nice pond/lakes, I have a couple of places that would be very nice to camp, canoe, hunt and fish.

It really just depends on your priorities.

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 02:34:00 PM »
Thanks 46r, with my neck carrying a canoe more than a short portage would be a problem, I was hoping for something more in the southern half of the park and something we can canoe downstream to a lake area or series of ponds, set up there hopefully with good hunting grounds and canoe downstream to a take out.
At least that would be the ideal set up but I am not afraid of some work, I have thought of doing it with my longbow and coming back later with one of my flintlocks.
And ADK take your time, hope you feel better soon
Bill

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 08:22:00 PM »
Bill,
     route 10 offers some great areas easily accessable to put a canoe in right from the road. as has been stated it will be HARD hunting with bow but thats whgat its all about. just recently a man named Dan Ladd wrote a book called "Deer Hunting In The Adirondacks. it is BY FAR the most usefull book i have read dealing with the Adirondack park it available hunting areas. he lists about every camp, shealter and trail you have ever heard about. i just mailed it to a friend of mine but i will have him mail it to you when he is done if you like. ya might want to buy a copy, it is that usefull! also i am more then willing to do any leg work/scouting you might need when you figure out where you want to go. if its with in a 150 miles of my house i'll do the scouting, take video/pic's and send ya gps locations. i could set stands or bild blinds if need be. i could also set you up with a very light weight canoe and a couple kayaks if you want to use them. maybe you will have time before fall to come up and do some scouting, fishing and hiking? i could provide a place to stay for the weekend for you and family.

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 08:52:00 PM »
Take a compass and topo map unless you know the area. The Adirondacks are a great place to get away but a great place to get turned around if you've never hunted or fished them.

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
Round Lake might be worth exploring -- Little Tupper flows into it.  Dave Cilley of St. Regis Canoe Outfitters [located in Saranac Lake] is an outfitter who has written a book on canoeing the Adirondacks and also has map of canoe camp sites that might provide some handy information.  He could probably give you an idea of the better areas to canoe hunt.
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 09:41:00 PM »
Wow ADK what an offer, you remind me of, well, me.
How bout we meet and take a stump shooting hike together and check it out. Just let me know when the black flies are done and I will be there.

Offline guspup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
I second the route 10 area. Good Luck Lake is one of many lakes accessible from route 10.
The dog here is in a canoe on that particular stretch. From Good Luck you can make your way back into Spectacle Lake. A little further north, the Cedar River flow and the Moose River Plains are a perfect place to get away for a few days..... the whole Indian Lake area is great. Of course you're much more likely to see bear. Unfortunately, the only place I see trophy whitetail is on the golf course in Old Forge.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 07:30:00 AM »
Think they would mind if I set my blind on the 18th green?   :D  This sounds like a great trip for me and my boys! What about up near Fish Creek pond? My grandfather hunted up there so much he built a house on Saranac. The pictures of the deer and fish he had were amazing. Great canoeing too. That was before the Northway was built!!!
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 08:21:00 AM »
Horatio, that is what I am planning to do, take my son, my brother, maybe his son and two of my long time hunting compadre's.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 08:30:00 AM »
Maybe we could join you.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 08:47:00 AM »
got the makins for rendezvous in the park, we get ADK to meet us there and whoever else has an itch to scratch, would be nice would'nt it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©