3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Moose Hunting/Backpack  (Read 1122 times)

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
Moose Hunting/Backpack
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
Planning a DIY moose hunt for 2010. Any advice on what would be the best backpack for the trip?
Something to carry my gear in, then Lord...willing meat and horns!!

chris <><

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Moose Hunting/Backpack
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »
The best back pack for this job is a horse or 4 wheeler.

Think ya need to stop and consider what you are contemplating.

Not being a smart ass, just concerned.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
I have a number of packs at Prairie Traditions that are designed exactly for that.  

Take a look at the Badlands 2200 or 2800, or the Blacks Creek Western Series pack.  My personal favorite is the Eberlestock Blue Widow.  It is extremely well built and handles more of a load as I can possibly carry.  

Prior to my Eberlestock I used an external frame pack.  The Blue Widow is far more comfortable and allows me to carry larger loads far easier.

Hey Charlie, I thought you hated horses?  :p   Actually you make a good point.  It's smart not to plan on packing in too far.  A moose is a mountain of meat, and isn't something you are going to want to pack long distances even with the best of packs.  

If you have read Mike Mittens book he talks about packing a moose for three miles.  All by himself!  Nine round trips if I remember correctly.  I have no desire to even think about such a feat, and 99% of people could not physically do it.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 10:25:00 AM »
Joe... I don't hate horses. They make great bear bait!!   :D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:58:00 PM »
Kifaru also makes a fine pack.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline fireball31

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Alice pack/ruck.  Nice metal frame for packing out meat. And you can pick one up without breaking the bank.

Offline Hornseeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 01:40:00 PM »
www.mysteryranch.com
Check out the "nice frame" and the "crew cab" bag.

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 01:43:00 PM »
Originally posted by mmgrode:
Kifaru also makes a fine pack.
Very nice packs....But VERY expensive...  :eek:    :eek:
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »
This Post is just a kick in the pants.

Onions....If ya want some kind of an idea on a PACK   :scared:  for your self   :banghead:

Go pick up a 50# bag of something;Sugar:Corn or even salt, slip it in some of these mentioned packs. See which one feels best for YOU. Then add another 50# to that so you'll get a true idea what a MOOSE is all about.

Offline Canadabowyer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »
How us old guys pack moose in B.C.
1. find moose( be prepaired, this can take a while)
2.Shoot moose
3.Make camp,clean moose,eat moose heart over open fire(the best part).Sleep like a log in the great outdoors.
4.Go to town with horns if you can carry them.
5.Show them around town and when you have a good crowd of young avid moose hunters tell them you will show them your secret moose hunting spot if they will help pack your moose.
6.Return to moose with 5 to 8 packers each carring a few of your favorite adult beverage.
7.Pack moose,I usually offer to pack the empty beverage cans. Works every time!!!  Bob
"non illegitimus carborundum est"

Offline SpikeMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Canadabowyer has it all figured out.   :biglaugh:

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 04:31:00 PM »
Good suggestions so far. Another one to take a look at is the BullPac. It is an external frame and there are pack bags available for it from the same manufacturer. I use my Bison gear pack strapped to the frame. Don't forget game bags. Where are you planning to hunt? I had an Alaskan trip planned for this coming season, but life got in the way! LOL!! I have several resources stored on the laptop that I could send you...pm me if you are interested. Mike
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline sbschindler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »
I wouldn't plan on packing a Moose anymore than 1/2 mile, and that would be to a boat or ATV or Horse. The Moose I was lucky enough to shoot was packed about 4 or 5 hundred yards to the river and boat, we started to skin Quarter the moose at 7 AM and got the last load in the boat by 3:30 that afternoon. All hard work and I loved every minute of it.

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 04:47:00 PM »
I 2nd kifaru
Make a life, not a living

Offline Onions

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 05:04:00 PM »
You guys are cracking me up!! Esp. you...canadabowyer!!
Actually.... my plan was to have the three other guys I am going with pack my moose! They are all Mike Mitten size and stamania!
I would let them borrow my pack LOL!!!!!
Great suggestions by all! Thank-you very much.

chris <><

Offline GUYZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 05:53:00 PM »
I have been using a MOOSE BAG and FREIGHTER FRAME from CAMPTRAIL for years.Just under 130.00CAN.I think that CABELA`S are selling it.GREAT PACK.

MAY THE SPIRIT OF FRED BEAR GUIDE OUR ARROWS.

Offline bucksaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
Kelty Cache Hauler Freighter w/ Bag. Built like a tank, extremely comfortable and well made. Best bang for the buck I found.
Happier than a pig eating strawberries

Offline mmgrode

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »
I've also heard frame packs from Barney's Sports Chalet in Alaska are top of the line.  Many guides swear by them for heavy loads.  Not cheap, but you get what you pay for.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."  Aristotle

Offline Toklat1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »
I also have friend with packs from Barneys sports chalet and they swear by them, (if you can afford em). The Moose bag with freighter frame mentioned above will work well also. I have one and it works great.
Mark Griffin
USAF Retired
1981-2001

"When a Man comes to the mountains, He comes home." John Muir

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »
How far are you packing in....the fun ends when it goes down.

Depending on the weather you may spoil all or most of the meat. These critters are big and that's good you will have help.

We took one a few years back and it was shot on the river bank with something other than a bow.....he then turned and ran (not a great shot). We picked up heis trail after about 1/2 hour to let him lay down. We found him 1.5 hours later. He had headed into the bush and wasn't coming out. He was in we figure about 3/4 of a mile near a small pond and buried up to his mid section in loon caca.

We sent one guy back to the boat for the come-along. We stayed 2 of us to get started.

With my machete we started cutting bows to get out to him so we wouldn't get sucked under.

Fred returned with the gear and the come along.

There was a small stream so we decided to just quarter him there and wash the meat in the stream and then hang it to dry a bit.

We couldn't winch him out...he was sucked in too far.

It was just below feezing but warming up so we worked as fast as we could. We made two poles to carry the quarters with after they were skinned (less weight).

We made one pack and when we returned a wolverine was on it and had urinated all over it.

The meat was ruined. we had taken the hind quarters and the back straps only. We had made a tristand and hung a coat on it and left some clothing around it for grizzlies.

Never thought a wolverine would ruin the meat. He got one between the lookers as he was growling us.

Anyway just thought I would share that.

If he would have gone down where we saw him..piece of cake, but he didn't and then it gets fun.

Hope your trip goes better but plan for the worst.

Jer Bear

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©