3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Canvas wall tents  (Read 595 times)

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Canvas wall tents
« on: March 03, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
My wife approved a wall tent purchse this year and I am going to order one in the next few days.  I am looking for a self contained set up with internal frame, stove, etc.  I don't pack at all, just drive to a clearing and set it up so weight and packability isn't important.  I will use it for family camping in the summer and 10 day elk trips in September.  There will usually be 4 or 5 people sleeping in the tent.  Here is what I am leaning towards...

16'x20' 10.10 oz Marine/Mildew/Fire treated with zippered storm door and screen door on each end.

Snap in floor.

Fly.

Cylinder stoves Yukon Package (biggest, baddest stove I could find).

My questions are many, what things do you wish you had?  What would you never live without?  What would you never waste your money on again?  If you could order a tent custom with a $3000 budget what would you order?

Incidentally, I am planning on ordering this through Reliable Tent and Tipi in Billings, MT.  If you have any experience with them I would love to hear about it.

:campfire:
***TGMM Family of the Bow***

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Canvas wall tents
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
I forgot to add I am going to purchase an aluminum internal frame with it as well.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Check out Whip's website as well. he is a sponsor on here and a great guy to boot. He handles the Panther Primitives. Very nice stuff.

Prarie Traditions I think is the name of his business. Look at the sponsor lists up top.
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 12:49:00 PM »
Speak to Joe L. aka "Whip" I bet he could offer some good insight and help you find the tent that fits your needs.  I'd bet he'll be along here shortly.

Also check out his site:  www.prairietrad.com

He has Panthers...from what I've read they have a very solid reputation.

Good luck!

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 12:50:00 PM »
Sorry bud...I was typing when this was posted..ha ha!!  Guess 4runr and I are on the same page...

We'll I guess you have our take on it..ha!

Best of luck!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »
Actually is Prairie Traditions Kenny, but that's close!   :thumbsup:  Thanks!

I carry both Panther Primitives and Montana Canvas brands on my website, and both offer wall tents.  There is also another option that isn't shown on my website.  I carry the Cylinder Stoves, and they make a very nice wall tent as well.

The Reliable Tents are very good as well, I just had to pick a couple to represent and these are it.

If you are not commited I would be happy to work up a quote on a package for any of the three I represent for you.  If I can save you money, great, and if not I'll let you know.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 12:54:00 PM »
Is there any sponsors on this site that sell tents?    :knothead:  

LOL I will be sure to check the Prarie Traditions site.

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 01:00:00 PM »
Whip, PM sent.

Offline Bill Shepard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
I bought a 14X16 from  www.davistent.com  and have been very pleased.  I just looked at their website and saw they are selling the "King's Package" for $1,610.00.  That's what I paid about three years ago.  It came with a stove and choice of internal (angles only) or external frame. The service was great and the quality is top notch.

I also bought two of their "Big Boy" cots and was very surprised with how comfortable they were.  I sleep on a Tempupedic at home and used to dread sleeping on a cot, but these were not bad at all.
"...But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 01:04:00 PM »
Excellent set-up trout guy.  I have a similar, but smaller set-up.  My wall tent has a sod cloth and floor is a heavy vinyl that's laid on top.  Stays in place fine, but the snaps may be an improvement.  I expect a tent that large has 5 ft. high walls, but if that's not standard, you might consider getting the tent made with 5 ft. walls.  Provides a lot more standing room closer to the side walls than do 4-foot height walls.

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Orion, I can order 4, 5, or 6 ft. walls.  The 5 ft. is standard and that is what I am leaning towards.

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 01:58:00 PM »
Advising a guy on a wall tent purchase is kinda like suggesting what kind of hunting dog to buy or what gal to marry...fraught with danger!

IF, you get lots of rain like we do here in Oregon you may be better off with outside poles vs. inside.  The inside poles can rub against the canas and is more apt to leak.

Cylinder Stoves are great and you can use wood pellets with them if that is better for you.

I also like a separate sod cloth from the floor...you can roll it part way back from the entrance and stove area.  Take off your boots on the dirt and not track any mud into the rear of the tent.

A tent maker here, Canvas Cabins gets most all of
the locals business.  He doesn't charge extra for two full doors on both ends which comes in use a lot more than I originally anticipated.

Good luck!

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »
I'm willing to bet you would be happier with two smaller tents.  One for sleeping and one for living (cooking, etc.)  When you do one with that many guys it gets pretty cluttered and hard to move around.

We have a wall tent for living and Cabela's 8 man expeditions w/cots for each three hunters.  

Although the tube frames are external for the side poles, you might want to look at Canvas Cabins.  

I tried a floor and  gave it up.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »
Oh yeah, the two tents work better when a few of the guys have been successful and decide to stay up all night playing cards and drinking Koolaid.

Offline Two Dogs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
Last I remember, there was a co. called Montana Canvas that make's all kinds of wall tents, I'm sure they have a wed-site. I've been using a Cabelas outfitter wall tent in the Adirondack's for over ten yrs. now in some harsh conditions & it's held up great. I would'nt hesitate to buy another, hope this helps.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2009, 03:29:00 PM »
Springbar tents wwork well for me
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline doctari

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »
I have the Montana Canvas 12x17x5 and the cylinder stove. I LOVE IT! spent two weeks in November in the rain, and snow and was as dry as a bug. I use the 12x20 rain fly on top. I will be using it again this April for spring turkey and can't wait to use it. I am able to set this all up myself, it is nine feet high at the center rafter.
"So long as the new moon returns in heavan a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold the hearts of men."   Maurice Thompson The Witchery of Archery

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 04:53:00 PM »
Doctari, I am glad to hear you can set it up by yourself.  I was a little worried about that with a tent that big.

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2009, 06:19:00 PM »
I second the DAVIS TENT i have had mind for over 10yrs now 14-16 no problems at all i use it 1-2 times a year.Sometimes it sits for a month. Only thing i wish i did different was get the larger stove just because it holds more wood, when its cold i fill it 2-3 times a night when its in the 20s. I also wish i had gotten the awning with it sewn on which i`m going to add it here shortly. 4 is perfect with this size with hunting gear, but i,ve sleep as many as 6 in mind just not as comfy. Can`t go wrong with DAVIS THERE GOOD PEOPLE.
Bull

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 06:26:00 PM »
One more thing...yes you can set it up by ur self but it`s a lot easier with 2nd hand. I`ve put mind up several times with just my daughter when she was 2-5yrs old... that was years ago Dam i`m getting old   :banghead:
Bull

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©