3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Canvas wall tents  (Read 594 times)

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Canvas wall tents
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2009, 06:51:00 PM »
I started with this one,14x17,for a Spring bear hunt on a portage in Ontario in the '70s. I personally think they are the ultimate in camping equipment. This one had a heavy vinyl floor sewn in and the tent weighed a ton. I now have two that I can handle setting up by myself,one is 10x10 and the other 11x12. IF you're going to camp for longer than a couple of days at a time,I highly recommend a wall tent. A large overhead tarp/fly extending out the end works well for an outdoor kitchen.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2009, 06:54:00 PM »
Here is the 10x10. There was only two of us using it on this hunt. I set it up here on a wooden camper pad overlooking the lake.  

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2009, 07:01:00 PM »
My 11x12 size that I take out to CO when hunting solo. No floor so I cut a piece of black 4 mil landscaping plastic and put it  down. Add a few astroturf rugs under the cot,strategic spots. I use the military telescopic poles as ridge poles and cut 2x2s with dulled crucifix nails as side poles. A galvanized oil drip tray from Wally World is my wood stove floor shield.

Offline nanook712

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2009, 09:16:00 PM »
You might want to think about a couple of windows if your going to do much summer camping. The fly will help to keep things cooler if there is an air space between tent roof and fly, perhaps another reason to get an external frame.

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2009, 09:20:00 PM »
Oh yeah, get the mosquito net door that you tie over the ridgepole.

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2009, 09:26:00 PM »
Some great thoughts on wall tents.  Just wondering about stoves.  What light weight stoves would you recommend?  Who are some of the better manufacturers?  Any good websites - tents or stoves [other than Cabelas]?
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2009, 09:38:00 PM »
They aren't light weight, but I carry the Cylinder Stoves at Prairie Traditions.  Very nice stove for a canvas style tent.  They come in a variety of sizes based on what you need.  Right now I only have the Scout and the Hunter models shown on the site, but can also get the Outfitter and Yukon models as well.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2009, 07:22:00 AM »
Reliable tent and tipi's are very reliable    :saywhat:      :D   I have one of there tipi's and so does my brother and sister.I went through there shop in Bozeman when I was there on a hunting trip and they are very good people to deal with. They have a spring sale every year in April and you could save some money, You should call and ask if there having it this year.

Whip has some great stuff to and your not going to find a better guy to deal with so you cant go wrong there either   :thumbsup:   Good luck

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2009, 02:25:00 PM »
I`ve always wanted a tipi, that`s a good way to go too, an you don`t need a wood stove. An i believe they are cooler in the summer
Bull

Offline Tox Collector

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2009, 07:04:00 PM »
Whip - thanks for the info.  Tox Collector
"...the volumes of an archer's library are the doors to the most varied scenes and the most engaging company."  C. J. Longman, Archery, The Badminton Library, 1894

Offline Rusty in Fla.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2009, 12:15:00 AM »
I had a Panther Primitives a few years back. I'm not sure I'd want a "snap in" floor. The Panther uses a flat floor and they put what they call a sod cloth all around the inside edge. Your "floor" lays over that and overlaps it by about 8" or so IIRC. It allows some give and wiggle room. It seems to me that snaps would require that everything be set up absolutely perfect every time.
  I never had a single complaint about my Panther lodge.
If you're gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough.

Offline Krems

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 08:29:00 PM »
Montana Canvas Wall Tents w/ their realite fabric is a great way to go.  I have two of them and prefer this over any canvas tent. Much lighter and easier to take care of.  That canvas gets stiff and heavy if you need to pack up in a montana blizzard.  

Mo. Canvas is a company located in Bozeman MT.  

krems

Offline spuman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 02:18:00 AM »
I have had a Montana Canvas wall tent for the last 8 yrs.  It has an internal frame - I purchased the joints and made poles from 1" conduit.  It is 10x12.  We have had as many as 6 guys in there sleeping on straw and 1 on a big cot and it worked fine, crowded though.  I'll second the notion of using 2 tents.  We did that the last 2 times out and it works great, especially with the gear that many people can bring along.  I have a heavy vinyl floor that is staked down with large spikes and works great, it really reflects a lot of light from candle or lantern at night, and keeps it drier if you set up when it is wet or over snow. The floor came with an area cutout for the stove. I have a rain fly and would not do without that.  My smoke hole is on the roof - if I were to do it again I would have the smoke hole in the wall - when it is raining or snowing it will come through the smoke hole on the roof and sizzle on the stove all night long.  Make sure to get a flap (with clips or ties) over your zippers on  your doors just incase a zipper breaks, you will at least have the flap to secure the door.  I have a 3-Dog stove and is plenty warm for that size tent.  I would probably go with a lighter canvas weight next time and with shorter walls - I have 5 ft. walls.  The tent we use for sleeping is the same size but lighter wt. canvas (sunforger), 4 ft. walls. and smoke hole in the wall - I like it a lot.  As I get older (47) it's getting a little harder to move the heavy canvas tent around, even just rolling it up and putting it into it's bag.  When I first purchased the tent I too drove to the site, in the last few years we've been hauling it in from 40 yds to over 1 mile (with a lawn cart).  The light wt. tent is easier to use with pole found on site and just tieing it up  to surrounding trees.  And looking to the future I might get the lighter wt. setup.  When I first set up my tent, my self made frame wasn't quite the right size, too long, and I tore a 10 inch hole in a corner, but I used the repair kit that came with it and haven't had a problem since. I have had one grommet go out.

I would not do without the floor, stove, rain fly, smoke hole in wall, and what I would get in the future would be some type of oven for either on top of the stove, or in-line with the chimney.

Lots of stuff to research - good luck.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©