3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fast flight question  (Read 350 times)

Offline JackP

• Trad Bowhunter
Fast flight question
« on: March 03, 2009, 10:41:00 PM »
I have seen a lot about fast flight on here and am wondering what the main difference is.

And one more thing I do have a Whisperstik with antler tips, does that mean it is f/s capable?

Thanks guys.

Jack

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fast flight question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »
Jack, FF doesn't stretch as much as Dacron and is stronger strand for strand so the string can be slimmer. The lower stretch and lighter string weight allows more of the bow's energy to go into the arrow instead of the string, and allows a lower brace height, which also puts more energy into the arrow due to a longer "dwell time" on the string. Bottom line is a harder-shooting bow.

Check with the bow's manufacturer about using FF. Some don't recommend it.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline JackP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
Alright, thanks for the info!

Jack

Offline Roy Steele

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:42:00 AM »
About 10 to 15 feet a second faster debending on the bow.If your into the speed click.

DEAD is DEAD no matter how fast your arrow gets there.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
 20 YEARS LEARNING 20 YEARS DOING  20 YEARS TEACHING
  CROOKETARROW

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 11:08:00 AM »
it's also noisy, in my experience, and I can't help but think that you are negating some of that speed advantage by having to hang all that stuff on your string to quieten it.

Maybe it's just me, or just my bow, but I find that fastflight on a longbow of the Howard Hill style increases handshock to a noticeable degree.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline O.L. Adcock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 12:41:00 PM »
Scatter, Are we taking recurves or longbows? I haven't seen a longbow yet that wasn't quieter with a modern string and LESS stuff on the string. Seems to be mixed on the recurves but the only one I've got laying around is MUCH quieter with a 4 strand DF-97 then it is with a 12 strand Dacron. I know that's been the common wisdom passed down by those that obviosly have nerver tried it objectively. More "speed" can be noisier in the same way less arrow weight is noisy...Put the mass in the arrow where it belongs, not the string.....O.L.
---Six NAA/FITA National and World flight records.----

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 02:42:00 PM »
O.L, the noise was on a recurve. No issues with noise on a LB, in fact I use it on my R/D longbows. On a straight end bow, it seems to aggravate the handshock to me.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©